Please check it in a couple of weeks.

Vidar Olavesen likes this

Mats Abelli
Date registered 08.03.2015
home: Nättraby, Sweden
ThankYou 112

RE: WD40 on film

#28 by Hugh Thompson Scott ( deleted ) , Sun Feb 28, 2016 11:39 pm

Hi Mats, I don't think WD40 will be any good on warp, I just use it sparingly to cut friction for nice steady pictures. The best stuff, and very gentle it is, is FilmRenew, now we in the UK can't import it now, thanks to the bloody EU, is it any wonder I dislike the interfering
buggers, but you might be able to import into your Country. I bought two gallons of it years ago and it is very good for your film, it relaxes any warping and is not harmful in the least to your prints. Needless to say, now that I needed more, its off the menu.

Hugh Thompson Scott
Last edited Sun Feb 28, 2016 11:41 pm | Top

#29 by Clyde Miles , Sun Feb 28, 2016 11:45 pm

fellow members.
wd40 is purely a water repellent, in the end it dries out, becoming sticky and tacky. having used thermofilm and 2.22 years ago i am now discovering the same is happening with these treatments.

Clyde Miles
Date registered 08.09.2015
home: bromsgrove, worcs, uk
ThankYou 19

#30 by Hugh Thompson Scott ( deleted ) , Mon Feb 29, 2016 12:26 am

Clyde, with all respect, Thermofilm disappeared as soon as the cloth was wet, it did F'/## all for film, if ever there was a
company taking the piss, it was the makers of this rubbish. It used to be very good when manufactured by Gemini, but it became
much like Petroleum Ether, very volatile and useless as either a lubricant or scratch hider. 2.22, when first manufactured by Kanus Chemics, was a viscous liquid, it did the job, indeed my prints still are very supple, and that is from 1971, when I first bought sound film.
It became less thick over the years, but still remained on the film, unlike many that left no trace. As for WD40, it is a lubricant, an oil,
on any of my 16mm prints that have been done, and this is after three years or so, they are still okay, no warp, no loss of colour and no
residue, I say again, it is a wipe, not a soak, it does the job regarding lubrication, I'm not advocating everyone use it, that is the choice of the individual, but on a website, a guy had done his homework and firmly stated that the much vaunted Film Guard was WD40 based!
Now I'm not alone, many respected names in this hobby use it to no ill effect, on striped prints! Myself, I'll do some experiments before committal, I would not use it on my films unless sure that it didn't harm them. Believe me, it took courage to take that step, but I'm
glad I did.

Hugh Thompson Scott
Last edited Mon Feb 29, 2016 12:51 am | Top

#31 by David Hardy ( deleted ) , Mon Feb 29, 2016 9:22 am

Have any of you guys information on RENO-FILM film treatment ? Have you used it ?
I bought some of this years ago but I am sure it has damaged the stripe on
one of my prints. It looks like the stripe is melting into the right hand side
of the picture image. I used this stuff sparingly.

David Hardy

#32 by Eivind Mork , Mon Feb 29, 2016 11:52 am

Quote: Mats Abelli wrote in post #25
Please let us know, about the magnetic soumd track.

Could turn into "Raiders of the lost sound" ;-)

Eivind Mork
Date registered 10.12.2015
home: Oslo, Norway
ThankYou 405

#33 by Eivind Mork , Mon Feb 29, 2016 12:03 pm

Wired used gas chromatography on WD-40 to see what is was made of. The ingredients are secret, and they only reveal what safety regulations require.

I found this interresting: "Mineral. Oil Seriously. WD-40 is mostly a mix of baby oil, Vaseline, and the goop inside homemade lava lamps.". The secret seems to be that it has low viscosity when applied, and turns into a viscous liquid when some of the stuff evaporates.

The wired article is behind a pay wall, but with some trick in the sleeve I made a PDF of it ;-)

Attachment:
wd-40_wired.pdf

The following members like this: Mats Abelli and Vidar Olavesen

Eivind Mork
Date registered 10.12.2015
home: Oslo, Norway
ThankYou 405

#34 by Hugh Thompson Scott ( deleted ) , Mon Feb 29, 2016 12:35 pm

I've never used Renofilm David, it sounds like the other stuff Derann were pushing called "Liquid Blue", another recommended
by the professionals, I understand it damaged certain stocks and affected plastic spools, hence my caution on some of these
treatments. The only ones I've ever used were 2.22, Crestclene, this was sold by Cresta Electronics and was different to Cresclene
now sold by CHC, apart from the lost "t", Thermofilm and FilmRenew, my favourite of the bunch was 2.22, it worked wonders on Vinyl LPs too, getting rid of "crackle". Well done Elvind on the research, someone I understand some years ago asked the manufacturers of WD
about its use on film and were told that it wasn't for film use, which is saying in effect, we are covering ourselves against any claims etc.
As far as the ingredients it contains, it doesn't seem to use anything that is harmful, glycerine used to be used in film treatment, so there's nothing there to give me cause for concern. I am quite happy to use it on unstriped film, many collectors use it on stripe with
no ill effects. There are cleaners for sale on ebay that I'd be wary of first. There are some not available in the UK, Vitafilm springs to mind and it contains camphor.

Hugh Thompson Scott
Last edited Mon Feb 29, 2016 12:38 pm | Top

#35 by David Hardy ( deleted ) , Mon Feb 29, 2016 7:10 pm

I used 2.22 as well. Sadly it has all gone now.

David Hardy

#36 by Vidar Olavesen , Mon Feb 29, 2016 7:10 pm

The liquid or the films used on?

;-)

I pray for the first

Eivind Mork likes this

Vidar Olavesen
Date registered 08.02.2015
home: Sarpsborg, Norway
ThankYou 348

#37 by David Hardy ( deleted ) , Mon Feb 29, 2016 7:13 pm

Vidar ... Hahaha ! ... The liquid has gone.

Vidar Olavesen likes this
David Hardy

#38 by Hugh Thompson Scott ( deleted ) , Mon Feb 29, 2016 10:16 pm

I pray and Hope David, that if we disentangle ourselves from this "business mans club" know as the EU, that a similar
solution to this product can be made. Indeed, on my LPs, would you believe it still smears, not bad for something I applied
in '79-81. Thermofilm didn't get past the cloth and it was gone forever, talk about a swizz.

Hugh Thompson Scott

#39 by Paul Browning , Mon Feb 29, 2016 10:50 pm

I still have a 3/4 tin of 2.22 from years gone by, i will give it a wirl on some stripe film, (paste stuff), i'm sure i can find something here to use, and i will try some wd 40 on the same
film, see what happens. Will be a useful test for all on here i think .

Vidar Olavesen sais Thank You!
Paul Browning  
Paul Browning
Date registered 09.13.2015
ThankYou 181

#40 by Hugh Thompson Scott ( deleted ) , Mon Feb 29, 2016 10:57 pm

Paul, I am envious, you have in your possession, liquid gold, treat it with respect. It leaves Filmguard in the starting blocks.

Hugh Thompson Scott

#41 by Hugh Thompson Scott ( deleted ) , Tue Mar 01, 2016 12:30 am

Paul, if you wish to sell your 2.22. let me know.

Hugh Thompson Scott

Sidney Powell responds after Trump campaign says she is not part of legal team:
poltergeist flat version

disconnected Reel-Chat Members online 0
Xobor Create your own Forum with Xobor