FILM & DVD

#1 by Hugh Thompson Scott ( deleted ) , Fri Feb 19, 2016 12:22 am

Okay, I have mentioned the silver salver, but how many collectors, be honest, buy the same film on DVD, even though owned on
film, I do myself, mainly for the occasional docs or voice over tracks, but sometimes just as a "must have".

Hugh Thompson Scott

RE: FILM & DVD

#2 by Eivind Mork , Fri Feb 19, 2016 8:37 am

I only have around 10 feature films, and I don't want to see any of them on DVD just to keep the magic feeling while seeing them on film :-) If I had just seen it on DVD it would not be the same. I don't mind DVDs as such, but it is something else and it lacks all the magic so I don't want to cross the two worlds :-) But I can get your point about extra material and such. It would really be something with an "extra material reel" for a film :-)

Vidar Olavesen likes this

Eivind Mork
Date registered 10.12.2015
home: Oslo, Norway
ThankYou 405

#3 by Andrew Woodcock ( deleted ) , Fri Feb 19, 2016 10:28 am

I do tend to back up most of my Films with a digital copy, but this is mainly just to obtain a better soundtrack rather than for any intentional viewing purposes. I have to say though, In the case of Die Hard and one or two others the digital big screening wins hands down for presentation sorry.

Its still miles more fun though to view on 8 of course!

There are many movies I have on film that interest me plenty, that I would have no desire to watch on DVD.
There is definitely something about film that makes you want to watch a movie, even if it is not a particularly good one at times!

Andrew Woodcock
Last edited Fri Feb 19, 2016 10:31 am | Top

#4 by David Hardy ( deleted ) , Fri Feb 19, 2016 11:45 am

What's a DVD ?

David Hardy

#5 by Vidar Olavesen , Fri Feb 19, 2016 12:40 pm

I do not, but I have not sold the crappy discs that I later got a film of. I am having a cleanout soon and might get rid of the evil ones then

Vidar Olavesen
Date registered 08.02.2015
home: Sarpsborg, Norway
ThankYou 348

#6 by Timothy Duncan ( deleted ) , Fri Feb 19, 2016 5:44 pm

I have very few of those unmentionables. I have way more films (all digests/extracts). I only have one title that I have in both formats. I'm considering donating what few unmentionables I have to our local public library!

Timothy Duncan

#7 by Hugh Thompson Scott ( deleted ) , Fri Feb 19, 2016 10:59 pm

I'm not knocking film in any way, but folk like Andrew use them as a physical help in his transfering soundtracks, myself, I like
the fact that I can at last see films I'd only read about, I favour the obscure Italian type gothics and westerns, not always available
on mainstream telly, or film. Apart from the background info and trailers made available, plus some beautiful booklets enclosed. I enjoy both film, dvd and video, I recorded programmes never to be repeated on various subjects, rare indeed, as even the extras on some of the dvd's don't have them. Film is my first love, but I do enjoy the stuff that isn't available on film, TV specials like the "Ghost Stories at
Christmas " from the BBC, or "Therese Raquin" a three part rare BBC series, "The Devils" etc, these will not be readily available on film,
so the little disc does fill the gap. Understand, like our Patron Vidar, I hold film precious, but to close myself off from this electronic medium, would be like switching off the light while trying to read, it is valuable in recording events and various news items on TV. Who
on here remembers the Gauge Wars, not some made up Star Wars nonsense, but folk were at loggerheads on Super 8 encroaching on
the already established Standard 8 ( regular 8 ) stamping ground, all that is now in the past, both are accepted as equals in recording
on film. In essence what I'm saying, is that there is room for all these things, in fact as Andrew has proved, his soundtracks benefit from
them. Vive la difference, I hope.

Hugh Thompson Scott

#8 by Hugh Thompson Scott ( deleted ) , Fri Feb 19, 2016 11:23 pm

It's just a thought, perhaps too weighty, but these generations, since photography was invented, has the least photographic
information recorded, eg, Family photo's, very important in other people tracing ancestors etc. The photo albums will fast become a thing of the past sadly, our home movies are one off's, no one else has a copy, yet people treat them with distain, stored in lofts or
worse. It might be that the DVD could be the saviour of personal records, who knows? Film used to be THE medium, but techno is moving so fast, that we can hardly keep pace, phone pictures etc, unless transferred to hard copy will be lost forever.

Hugh Thompson Scott
Last edited Fri Feb 19, 2016 11:32 pm | Top

Sidney Powell responds after Trump campaign says she is not part of legal team:
NEW BOOKS

disconnected Reel-Chat Members online 1
Xobor Create your own Forum with Xobor