A BIG THANK YOU TO BARRY ATTWOOD ( I.8.)

#1 by David Hardy ( deleted ) , Thu Jan 28, 2016 7:17 pm

I am giving a BIG THANK YOU to our friend BARRY of Independent 8.
I have dealt and spoken to him over the phone for many years now. He has always been most helpful with a film enquiry
or always had time to have a general chat with me whenever I call him for a catch up with things.
The man is an absolute gem of a man. One in a million as the saying goes.
Now he tops it up by sending me a Derann Super 8mm sound /colour print of Tom & Jerry's first cartoon PUSS GETS THE BOOT.
which I bought with my Christmas Credit Note win ... postage FREE !
HATS OFF to Barry and a HUGE THANK YOU !

David Hardy

RE: A BIG THANK YOU TO BARRY ATTWOOD ( I.8.)

#2 by Paul Browning , Thu Jan 28, 2016 7:36 pm

Your right David, I've spoken to barry just a couple of occasions and it's like I've known him forever, a really smashing guy, very helpful and knowledgeable on all things film and
some good stories, not fairy stories but obviously true non the less. That's what customer service is about .

Mats Abelli likes this
Paul Browning  
Paul Browning
Date registered 09.13.2015
ThankYou 181

#3 by Andrew Woodcock ( deleted ) , Thu Jan 28, 2016 8:20 pm

Top Geezer is our Barry, just like Ian is also!

As you quite correctly point out Paul, these are two people that you feel you know within a few minutes of having a conversation with either.

Andrew Woodcock
Last edited Thu Jan 28, 2016 9:38 pm | Top

#4 by Vidar Olavesen , Thu Jan 28, 2016 9:36 pm

Why hasn't Ian joined? Classic Home Cinema and Paul Foster isn't part of this forum either, are they? I did invite them when it started :-/

Vidar Olavesen
Date registered 08.02.2015
home: Sarpsborg, Norway
ThankYou 344

#5 by Andrew Woodcock ( deleted ) , Thu Jan 28, 2016 9:40 pm

Ian doesn't seem to get involved at all in the forum scene Vidar aside from placing his sales lists on them in days gone by it would seem.

I have no idea with Phil?

I did think Paul Foster did used to post his updated website news on here and and on the other forums Vidar, didn't he?

Andrew Woodcock
Last edited Thu Jan 28, 2016 9:42 pm | Top

#6 by Vidar Olavesen , Thu Jan 28, 2016 10:46 pm

Yes, he might have done so ... I do read the other forums too, so I easily mix up who posts where :-)

I'm getting to old for this shit :-)

Vidar Olavesen
ThankYou 344

#7 by Mats Abelli , Thu Jan 28, 2016 10:53 pm

If you are to old Vidar, what am I?

Vidar Olavesen likes this

Mats Abelli
Date registered 08.03.2015
home: Nättraby, Sweden
ThankYou 112

#8 by Vidar Olavesen , Thu Jan 28, 2016 11:28 pm

One is only as old as you feel ;-) I feel 92

Vidar Olavesen
ThankYou 344

#9 by Andrew Woodcock ( deleted ) , Thu Jan 28, 2016 11:36 pm

You and me both buddy!

Andrew Woodcock

#10 by Dave Alligan , Fri Jan 29, 2016 11:38 am

I have known Barry for many years now and its a privilege and a honour to call him my very good friend, I have spent many happy hours at his place with his brother Michael and Terry god bless him when he was with us along with Barrys niece Tina, we used to go to the BFCC's together and I helped Barry and Michael unload their car with boxes and boxes of 8mm films to be sold, helping set up the tables and helping selling the films on the day but always it was a pleasure, at the end of the day after the convention we would all go over the a restaurant and have a very enjoyable meal together and talk about the days activities.

Then me and Barry used to go to the Northern Film Collectors Convention in Blackpool when it was run by Derann, we would drive up on the Friday morning stopping on route for breakfast before arriving in Blackpool late morning, after checking in to the hotel we would have a leisurely stroll around Blackpool, Saturday morning would after breakfast would be a stroll along the sea front to catch the sea breeze before heading to the shops to see what was on offer, and then a quick bite of lunch before heading back to the hotel to catch up with fellow collectors who had arrived, sitting in the bar having a drink and a chat, that night it was the convention dinner and me and barry always made sure we sat on the same table, well somebody had to help Barry back to his room with all the raffle prizes he won (lol) the next day it was the convention and same again we would walk around chatting about what was for sale, watching the film shows and then the infamouse auction.

The weekend was just pleasure and enjoyment from start to finish.

Barry is really my very best friend and their is not many people I can say that about, and he has proved that in 1993 and 2003 Barry will know what those dates mean

Dave Alligan  
Dave Alligan
Date registered 09.23.2015
home: Felixstowe
ThankYou 11

Last edited 01.29.2016 | Top

#11 by Andrew Woodcock ( deleted ) , Fri Jan 29, 2016 11:54 am

What a great story Dave!

It's truly wonderful that you you have had this kind of bond with Barry.
All those fabulous good times, laughs and memories to look back on, just brilliant Dave. Thanks for sharing that with us all here!

Andrew Woodcock

#12 by David Hardy ( deleted ) , Fri Jan 29, 2016 2:18 pm

Dave those are indeed great memories to cherish of past times with Barry.
Andrew I almost forgot about Ian as he seems to have gone A.W.O.L from the 8mm collecting scene.
Yes Ian is a great guy too along with Phil Sheard .
HATS OFF to them as well.

David Hardy

#13 by Andrew Woodcock ( deleted ) , Fri Jan 29, 2016 2:25 pm

Yes it does appear as though Ian has ,very sadly, decided to call it a day now regarding film and equipment sales.
Great guy to deal with though, happy memories.

Andrew Woodcock
Last edited Fri Jan 29, 2016 2:26 pm | Top

#14 by Andrew Woodcock ( deleted ) , Fri Jan 29, 2016 2:32 pm

As we appear to have lost two dealers of 8mm in quite quick succession now here in the UK, it would seem......there is definitely room for one or two new ones now, if anyone has good enough links and connections to source the remaining films and high end serviceable equipment that's out there.

Andrew Woodcock

#15 by Dave Alligan , Fri Jan 29, 2016 3:26 pm

Me and Barry looked into the possibilities of releasing 8mm film, the trouble is that the German labs charge for literaly everything, making the 16mm negative, the full coat 16mm sound master, printing 2 x 8mm prints, sound stripe the prints, recording sound, splitting the 2 x 8mm prints. spools, when it all worked out to have 6 x 200ft super 8 prints we were looking at nearly £1000 and that was when 35mm film was freely available lets not forget that cinemas are mainly digital now and their is very little 35mm film produced, no trailers, no adverts and no full features, hate to think how much it would cost to bring a full length feature out on 8mm now.
The German labs have a monopoly now as their is no competition on making 8mm prints, its the simple case of you want it you pay for it

Just a bit of info for you

Dave Alligan  
Dave Alligan
Date registered 09.23.2015
home: Felixstowe
ThankYou 11

#16 by Hugh Thompson Scott ( deleted ) , Fri Jan 29, 2016 11:38 pm

Its a very sad state of affairs, indeed Dave and Barry are two brave souls to even contemplate film releases, our labs are gone,
we have nothing now. Regarding Dealers, Ian still puts films on ebay, who can blame him, the lad has to eat. Tony Reypert, of
Buckingham Films is still active, and loves a chin wag, give him a bell, he has some good stuff too. "Thanks to Barry" goes without
saying, a thoroughly nice chap, long may he reign.

Hugh Thompson Scott

#17 by Hugh Thompson Scott ( deleted ) , Sat Jan 30, 2016 12:27 am

Vidar asks why our dealers don't join, a bloody good question, but I would guess it is because they are "a race apart", they don't want to
be involved, which is understandable, I mean in case of point, Derann's Guv'nor, Derek, would never have considered dialogue with
his customers, some wanted him lynched! So best to keep a distance, understandable, lists are always welcome, and jumped on.

Hugh Thompson Scott

#18 by Hugh Thompson Scott ( deleted ) , Sat Jan 30, 2016 12:56 am

Just to add, I always found Derek a great man, he found time for me, indulged my passion for "Sinbad", even obtained a signed copy of "Jason" for me, but there were a few who were not fans, in conversation at one of the events. That said, its the dealers like Barry,
Phil and others, keep this ailing hobby alive. Long may they prosper.

Hugh Thompson Scott
Last edited Sat Jan 30, 2016 12:57 am | Top

#19 by Andrew Woodcock ( deleted ) , Sat Jan 30, 2016 9:37 am

Just going back to Hugh's point at number 16 here.

I really don't think Ian is even involved on e bay anymore. I always had him as a permanent search favourite in days past, but it has been totally dormant in the last year or so very sadly.

It's really not too surprising now to see all the top titles on e bay being prized away from the bidding war by people making presumably, highly lucrative offers outside of the normal bidding activity due to the very limited supply chain we see now of these such titles.

E bay often does little more than provide a shop window of the largest variety now, to enable maximum exposure but not necessarily to give people the opportunity to land the best prints by having the highest bid.

Only 18 months or so ago, this calibre of film was surfacing on an almost weekly basis on e bay by Ian alone.
To be fair, even he on occasions, used to end the bidding early if the price was right.

Andrew Woodcock
Last edited Sat Jan 30, 2016 10:14 am | Top

#20 by Andrew Woodcock ( deleted ) , Sat Jan 30, 2016 6:35 pm

Wow! Would you believe it??

Right out of the blue, over on the other forum, Lady & The Tramp sold for £249 by no other than.... Ian O Reily!!

Hooray!

Good to have you back in the game Ian.

The following members like this: Vidar Olavesen and Tom Photiou
Andrew Woodcock

#21 by Tom Photiou , Mon Feb 01, 2016 8:46 pm

Phil at CHC does not like the forums & wont use them to sell, he solely concentrates on the lists and his shop.
As far as i know he also wont use ebay unless it is a very special title which as yet i have only seen him use once.
In a way im glad because both Phil and Barry, (& Ian), still sell at reasonable prices. Once they start going way too scilly thats when i would join in the selling and go totally digital.
Our hobby is one of the best and we are privileged to see films how they are meant to be seen, but at the end of the day they are movies, (de ja vu) & as i earn an average wage i cannot justify some of the loony prices being commanded. Having said that, 200-300 is still a pretty good & sensible price for a good feature in excellent condition so thats great, but seeing some go on ebay for a grand or more is simply lunacy in my eyes.
I myself have had many great little bargains from ebay but there are limits for me and many others.

Tom Photiou
Date registered 08.14.2015
home: Plymouth. UK
ThankYou 545

#22 by Andrew Woodcock ( deleted ) , Mon Feb 01, 2016 9:24 pm

Your perspective on sensible valuations of our films is about in tandem with my own Tom. I too would NEVER pay £1000 or anything like that amount of today's money for a single feature film.

We are both working class people with families and are acutely aware of just how hard it is to earn the darned stuff in the first place!

Andrew Woodcock
Last edited Mon Feb 01, 2016 9:30 pm | Top

Sidney Powell responds after Trump campaign says she is not part of legal team:
Give me strength ...........ahhh

disconnected Reel-Chat Members online 0
Xobor Create your own Forum with Xobor