Is Film Collecting An Addiction?

#1 by Timothy Duncan ( deleted ) , Thu Jan 28, 2016 2:52 am

What is your opinion? Is film collecting an addiction? Do you ever find yourself buying just for the sake of getting a good deal...or having 'just one more' for the collection? Or with each purchase that you make, do you think to yourself "this is it...for a while anyways", and then you turn around and do the same thing again? Why do I feel like my story sounds like alcoholism?

Timothy Duncan

RE: Is Film Collecting An Addiction?

#2 by Douglas Warren ( deleted ) , Thu Jan 28, 2016 4:50 am

Tim,
I agree that like many hobbies,collecting things you have a passion for can become very addictive. With film collecting,with the majority of what we seek are used items,a big part of the fun I feel is the hunt for a elusive title. That's why I enjoy old film catalogs to see what was new on the market at one time. Like any hobby though as long as things are done in moderation then I see no harm in the addiction so to speak!

Mats Abelli likes this
Douglas Warren

#3 by Hugh Thompson Scott ( deleted ) , Tue Feb 09, 2016 9:47 pm

It most definitely is, but both you chaps have the right attitude. It is nice to own row upon row of titles, many of us on here do,
but I must be perfectly honest here, back in the early '70s, I had just bought my first sound machine, the Eumig S709, which has only
in the last few months given up the ghost, but at that time, my collection could fit in one cardboard box, a handful of features from
Mountain/Heritage, a dozen or so silent 200' horrors ( which I gave to my mates son, who was starting out in the hobby ) and the
Columbia 4x200s of Sinbad & Jason, I have never since been as happy. Maybe halcyon days through rose tinted glasses, but people
asked to see these films, no video for the public then, so the "magic" of film ruled supreme, that was when the addiction to film for me really took off, luckily I was in full time work and living with my parents, so money was no problem, but I have found, as my collection grew, somehow I could never recapture that elusive "magic" of those past times, I wonder if the fascination of film is still there for the
youngsters of today and will they become addicts like us?

Hugh Thompson Scott

#4 by David Hardy ( deleted ) , Wed Feb 10, 2016 10:17 pm

Its not only an addiction but an illness. I know this because I have not been to well for years. hahaha !

David Hardy
Last edited Wed Feb 10, 2016 10:18 pm | Top

Sidney Powell responds after Trump campaign says she is not part of legal team:
getting films under sad circumstances.

disconnected Reel-Chat Members online 1
Xobor Create your own Forum with Xobor