Sci fi becomes Reality

#1 by Hugh Thompson Scott ( deleted ) , Tue Jan 12, 2016 1:15 am

Here we are, the 21st Century, wrist radio's were fantasy in Dick Tracy, laser beams a dream in many a sci-Fi film, transplanting
human organs unheard of unless in a horror film, now commonplace in this age of wonders, I was a child of the 50's, yet still find myself screaming at the bloody DVD that will not play back a beloved film, a miracle of the age, but I still want to smash it to smithereens. Am I
alone in this hatred of techno?

Vidar Olavesen likes this
Vidar Olavesen sais Thank You!
Hugh Thompson Scott
Last edited Tue Jan 12, 2016 1:16 am | Top

RE: Sci fi becomes Reality

#2 by Andrew Woodcock ( deleted ) , Tue Jan 12, 2016 1:40 am

Without going into too much depth down the Digital chat route here Hugh, I feel it's an era thing.

Ever noticed just how quickly anyone under the age of 30 can text on their phones?

We can operate, clean and by and large maintain our projectors. We can typically understand what's going wrong with our cars, washing machines, boilers, ovens etc etc.

Wind the clock on 25 years, we have kids now that constantly tutt and say doh! to me regarding PCs, mobile phones, tablets, gaming consoles etc etc yet can't even use a pair of scissors correctly! (No shit Sherlock)

Home Cinema in the old and new format is something I've always been interested in, so like the kids of today with the above, I've progressed through the various eras from scart to S-Video, from Component to HDMI.

With this evolutionary change up our cuffs, we don't generally struggle TOO much, but what I will say is, home cinema amps/ receivers in their pursuit of simplifying our options in the advent of HDMI picture and sound high definition combined connections, have somehow missed the point in my most humble of opinions.

Less connections should make contrived and overtly complex menus a thing of the past, but does it?

Like hell it does! If anything since wi fi, Bluetooth, Spotify, Napster and so on and so forth, we now have twice the headaches we once had when next doors phone app switches off your home cinema amp in the middle of your families debut showing of your latest blockbuster Blu Ray disc!

Sometimes technology just gets far too smart for its own good and often overlooks the most important point of all.....does it do what I want it to do when I want it to do it?!!

Andrew Woodcock
Last edited Tue Jan 12, 2016 10:31 pm | Top

#3 by Hugh Thompson Scott ( deleted ) , Tue Jan 12, 2016 2:32 am

Andrew, you have very succinctly put it in a nutshell. I am weary of putting in brand new DVD discs only to be rejected by the recorder.
Even when accepted, record the film , then refuse to play back. I am of the type to unplug it, and smash it, but I can summon the patience of a Tibetan Monk, LG DVD recorders try the patience of a Saint. As you so rightly say, thankfully, we can rely on our "old fashioned films".

Hugh Thompson Scott

#4 by Andrew Woodcock ( deleted ) , Tue Jan 12, 2016 2:38 am

Often the finished recorded DVD may have to be formatted to whatever you choose to be able to successfully to playback what has just been recorded.

Just a thought Hugh before you take your most favourite Bolster Chisel to the darned thing.

In no way am I here trying to teach a Grandmother how to suck eggs!

Andrew Woodcock
Last edited Tue Jan 12, 2016 2:41 am | Top

#5 by Hugh Thompson Scott ( deleted ) , Tue Jan 12, 2016 3:17 am

Andrew, if I sent this sassenfrsssseanfriggigging machine, you would want to commit it to a horrible end. I have a Will Hay film, yes
get this, it plays this fuckin' thing faultlessly, it obviously likes Will Hay. After it has enjoyed these films, it will do the job the bastard
was bought to do, a gamble. Of course it won't always record your film of choice, no chance, it might, just depends on it's Will Hay fix.
I am at a loss, I did have the same recorder earlier, bought brand new, that would not record Clint Eastwood's, "Tight Rope", whatever
time this bloody film was on, it would not tape it. This is the third model, they are a nightmare. I recorded a doc on the Bond films, tried to delete previous crap used to set it up, it now will not play, My knuckles are curling as I type this, Sassenfrassennfriginlgfukinrecc/

Hugh Thompson Scott
Last edited Tue Jan 12, 2016 3:18 am | Top

#6 by Andrew Woodcock ( deleted ) , Tue Jan 12, 2016 12:04 pm

I don't recommend RW discs for anything you want to keep Hugh.
Try to use write once reputable R discs and see how it goes.
It must just be a format thing here by the sounds of things.
Ensure all discs are spotless before recording or playback also.
These things do glitch very easily I find.

Andrew Woodcock
Last edited Tue Jan 12, 2016 12:05 pm | Top

#7 by David Ollerearnshaw , Tue Jan 12, 2016 12:37 pm

I bought a new 4k extra ultra led nano this nano that, and a bluray funny name their not blue. Watched Quatermass and the Pit for some reason while I enjoyed the film again the film look had gone in some parts. To say it was on original High Definition 35mm film, some of the scenes looked like they were done on video. Now my Derann copy might have faded a bit and be abridged too, but its so much better to watch. Found this with a couple of other Hammer films too.

Now saying that about that film I bought Dial M For Murder and Creature From The Black Lagoon. I had never seen these in proper 3D I really enjoyed them. The 3D was not in your face too much. The weird thing the backdrops stand out more flat of course.

Pisses me off with all the regions, films universal plays everywhere. Did you know that with digital broadcasting they can 'flag' a programme so that it will not record.

I still love the smell of film in the morning

David Ollerearnshaw
Date registered 08.13.2015
home: Sheffield UK
ThankYou 61

#8 by Hugh Thompson Scott ( deleted ) , Tue Jan 19, 2016 9:46 pm

Hi Andrew, I used to use the RW discs, just to remove ads from programmes.

Hugh Thompson Scott
Last edited Tue Jan 19, 2016 9:48 pm | Top

#9 by Hugh Thompson Scott ( deleted ) , Tue Jan 19, 2016 10:08 pm

I use mostly the R+ or R-, Verbatim, Sony, Maxell or the dodgy AONE discs, my Panasonic will not record on the latter, in either format.
The LG is a strange recorder, it takes a "fit" every now and again, removal of the Scart and aerial leads, then insertion of the Will
Hay DVDs, any of them, they were a set bought on ebay for a few pounds, copies, but they bring the machine back to normal after a few minutes play, I have tried with "pro" recorded discs, but it will just repeat the first 7 seconds repeatedly. Whether it is due to how these little discs have been recorded, I reckon it must have something to do with it, they bring the recorder back to normal, even discs it has recorded itself have no effect, just these pirate discs, it could be the depth of burn, but they work. This is my fourth machine, why'? I hear you ask, it is a trap to fall into, simply the function of Finalisation, my mate fell into the same trap, he has a stash of these
terrible machines, they do not last long, my first played up within the guarantee period, where I was informed by the repairman, that they are not the most reliable, the component that fails costs nearly as much as a new unit. Advice, give LG a wide berth.
My apologies to Vidar on a non film subject.

Hugh Thompson Scott

#10 by Hugh Thompson Scott ( deleted ) , Tue Jan 19, 2016 10:19 pm

I remember saying before, probably on another Forum, but Video was a far more reliable "linear" format, not up to the quality
of DVD, but I never ever had the problems I have today with this over complicated format, plus ads could be erased beautifully on recording. Apologies again.

Hugh Thompson Scott

Sidney Powell responds after Trump campaign says she is not part of legal team:
Test of survey

disconnected Reel-Chat Members online 0
Xobor Create your own Forum with Xobor