Thinning out my collection but still very much alive...

#1 by Douglas Warren ( deleted ) , Fri Jan 08, 2016 12:07 am

Due to dealing with health issues over the past few months I've been much less involved in the hobby. I've been thinning out my small (but humble) collection of Standard & Super-8 films. So far I've sold off roughly half of what I owned with one sale left pending. I spend more time hobby-wise these days working on model aircraft (been at that hobby off and on for almost 50 years.) My heart is still there in the world of film even if my wallet currently is not. Looking forward to when I can return with a bang and increase my meager collection of 16 mm films.

Vidar Olavesen likes this
Douglas Warren

RE: Thinning out my collection but still very much alive...

#2 by Hugh Thompson Scott ( deleted ) , Fri Jan 08, 2016 12:18 am

Dougie, what is going on? You should be holding onto your films, don't sell your films for bugger all lad, its false economy.
Keep hold , things can't be that bad, can they?

Hugh Thompson Scott

#3 by Douglas Warren ( deleted ) , Fri Jan 08, 2016 12:27 am

Mainly I'm leaning more towards collecting 16 mm and simply flushing out my excess 8 mm collection. Much of what I've sold I watched a few times and I'm now happy to pass them on to other collectors to enjoy.

Mats Abelli likes this
Douglas Warren

#4 by Timothy Duncan ( deleted ) , Fri Jan 08, 2016 7:28 am

Doug,
I'm glad that I snagged your copy of "Buck Rogers" a while back! It's one of my favorites! It has great sound and was incredibly well edited. Too bad I missed that copy of "Jaws"! You'll have an endless selection in the 16mm film venture though. With 8mm/super 8mm digests/extracts, you tend to run into the same titles.

Timothy Duncan

#5 by Paul Barker , Fri Jan 08, 2016 11:08 am

hi Douglas. welcome to 16mm. you will find it a great gauge to be involved in. some tremendous stuff out there . and titles you will never ever see on any other format. good luck and enjoy.

Paul Barker  
Paul Barker
Date registered 12.01.2015
ThankYou 45

#6 by Douglas Warren ( deleted ) , Fri Jan 08, 2016 7:35 pm

Thanks for the 16 mm welcome Paul and Tim,you're correct that one does tend to run into the same titles over and over in the Super-8 format. My heart will always be with the 8 mm gauge due to my history with the format. I feel that expanding to 16 mm for collecting will keep my interest in film collecting alive even longer.

Douglas Warren

#7 by Andrew Woodcock ( deleted ) , Fri Jan 08, 2016 9:02 pm

Good for you Douglas. Maybe one day for me also, but I have still have much to see on Super 8mm yet!

8mm beginning with Standard 8mm first, has been a big part of my life over the years. It won't ever leave me now, it is simply in my blood.
It is a perfect film gauge for an average sized home cinema room and offers some superbly refined machines to watch the films with.

For me personally, it would always be Super 8mm first and foremost.

Andrew Woodcock
Last edited Fri Jan 08, 2016 9:03 pm | Top

#8 by Hugh Thompson Scott ( deleted ) , Sun Jan 10, 2016 1:50 am

I take on board all views, but there are little gems on 8mm that I hope Douglas does not regret in the future, easy to sell, but
a bugger to buy back, I have been there.

Hugh Thompson Scott

Sidney Powell responds after Trump campaign says she is not part of legal team:
Gelatine in Film

disconnected Reel-Chat Members online 2
Xobor Create your own Forum with Xobor