Any Documentary Fans?

#1 by Douglas Warren ( deleted ) , Thu Jan 07, 2016 11:56 pm

I'm a fan of documentaries and in time hope to collect all the World War Two related ones released by Blackhawk Films in Standard and Super-8. In particular I really enjoy aviation (and military) history. Just curious if any other members have an interest in the documentary genre.

Douglas Warren

RE: Any Documentary Fans?

#2 by Hugh Thompson Scott ( deleted ) , Fri Jan 08, 2016 12:13 am

Well done you Doug, it is good that we have collectors of these films, myself, I don't have too many,. There are loads of stuff on 16mm, Walton Films did various films on history, but I'd advise 16mm, it covers a spectrum of subjects, more than likely a lot cheaper too.

Hugh Thompson Scott

#3 by Vidar Olavesen , Fri Jan 08, 2016 12:19 am

I enjoy the ones I have. Will soon see through World in Flames series, which I have complete, thanks to Barry

Vidar Olavesen
Date registered 08.02.2015
home: Sarpsborg, Norway
ThankYou 348

#4 by Bill Parsons , Fri Jan 08, 2016 5:38 pm

Documentaries are my chief interest nowadays I have a large collection on 16mm, I mainly collect the Electrical/Technical subjects, it’s nice to look back on how things were back in the 50’s 60’s 70’s some of the procedures from films on electrical installations in the 1950’s would now be considered dangerous, I have a Philips film on making TV tubes from the 50’s this appeals to me as I spent many years repairing TV sets, it’s also amazing how many well known faces crop up in the 1970’s docs made before the actors were famous.

Vidar Olavesen likes this
Bill Parsons  
Bill Parsons
Date registered 10.07.2015
home: Brookland, Kent, Uk
ThankYou 23

#5 by David Ollerearnshaw , Fri Jan 08, 2016 7:36 pm

Used to enjoy the sponsored films that were shown on BBC 2 before all day TV. Ranging from BP ICI Shell and loads more. And the test card music too, in fact it was better TV then. I have a few documentaries on both 16mm and super 8. One of my favourites is the Hollywood And The Stars series. I class some of the Look At Life and Pathe Pictorials the same too. I would like to find the old training films from the Post Office Telecommunications and early British Telecom days.

"It's good to be the king."

http://www.filmsite.org/wavfiles/historyofworld.wav

I still love the smell of film in the morning

David Ollerearnshaw
Date registered 08.13.2015
home: Sheffield UK
ThankYou 61

#6 by Paul Browning , Fri Jan 08, 2016 8:15 pm

I don't have any, but would have to agree with Bill on this, how things work or manufactured would be my preference, and those trade test colour films were just fascinating to
me as a young kid, I would love some of them on super 8, without doubt much better than what's shown on BBC2 now.

Paul Browning  
Paul Browning
Date registered 09.13.2015
ThankYou 181

#7 by Andrew Woodcock ( deleted ) , Fri Jan 08, 2016 8:44 pm

I have a nice Walton Short with superb colour still, that is all about 1960's London and another that follows the history of Robert Lewis Stevenson and his Rocket. Another nice little film with superb colour still.

I find these type of films interesting and love any film that is educational and nostalgic at the same time.

I love watching the Eumig factory documentary for the very same reasons.
A real insight to the incredible success of this company at its peak in the very late 1970's.

Andrew Woodcock

#8 by Jonathan Trevithick ( deleted ) , Fri Jan 08, 2016 10:35 pm

I have quite a few 'Look at Life' and other Derann released documentaries/travelogues on super 8. I also quite like the colourful Pan Am sponsored Pathe Pic docs such as 'California' and 'Hawaii'. I have an identical Pan Am promotional documentary on Hawaii in 16mm except the narrator is different.

Jonathan Trevithick

#9 by Tom Photiou , Fri Jan 08, 2016 11:06 pm

I like a few documentaries,we have all but four of the world in flames series along with three of the soldiers stories series ww2 in colour.very good to narrated by Lloyd bridges,the bing Crosby documentary,plus behind the scenes or making of shorts of towering inferno,the outlaw josey Wales,paint your wagon and the godfather. Also an excellent. 200 footer behind the scenes of magnum force.

The following members like this: Vidar Olavesen and David Ollerearnshaw

Tom Photiou
Date registered 08.14.2015
home: Plymouth. UK
ThankYou 548

#10 by Vidar Olavesen , Fri Jan 08, 2016 11:10 pm

Tom, did you ask Barry about the ones you don't have of the World in Flames? I think he mentioned hr had some

Vidar Olavesen
Date registered 08.02.2015
home: Sarpsborg, Norway
ThankYou 348

#11 by Tom Photiou , Sat Jan 09, 2016 10:29 am

Vidar, many thanks and yes I managed together numbers 1 and 2 which makes our whole series much more complete especially as we do have the last three so it's now just a few in between.

Tom Photiou
Date registered 08.14.2015
home: Plymouth. UK
ThankYou 548

#12 by Hugh Thompson Scott ( deleted ) , Sun Jan 10, 2016 2:20 am

I have various Docs on behind the scenes on film, Hammer, Harryhausen, David Lean etc, but I picked up a few relating to my trade,
building, it is fascinating, although there were some of the old gents I served my time with, wore tweed suits underneath the "bib & brace" overall, complete with collar & tie! I was a typical youth, jeans, tee shirt, boiler suit, it was like a bloody time warp, tech college,'69 we were cutting edge, at work, back in the '50s on site, it was like "Dad's Army", but no nonsense from these guys, disciplinarians, and know what, I loved them, they taught me a trade, I was so sad to just learn my old labourer had died, I always said of him, "If I was ever marooned in a desert, I'd want Raymond Connor with me, he could get a cup of tea anywhere", hence my love
of old building films, the old, tried and tested ways are going, the quick and nasty shortcuts are here.

Hugh Thompson Scott
Last edited Sun Jan 10, 2016 2:22 am | Top

Sidney Powell responds after Trump campaign says she is not part of legal team:
Thinning out my collection but still very much alive...

disconnected Reel-Chat Members online 1
Xobor Create your own Forum with Xobor