Ennio Morriconnie 2016

#1 by Tom Photiou , Tue Jan 05, 2016 9:29 pm

We saw him at the O2 last year, (i did a piece in the magazine on this great composer/conductor).
What i did not expect was see the maestro back again in the UK just a year later, this year he celebrates 60 years in the music business, this year his concert will include his classics from the spaghetti westerns & the mission among others, but this time he is including some other items including his music to the Hateful 8. Suffice to say i am going and am taking the Mrs and my Brother, (it's his Birthday present so as yet he doesn't know, luckily he doesn't do the internet so he wont see this).

What a great privilege it is to see him again. Fantastic.

Vidar Olavesen likes this

Tom Photiou
Date registered 08.14.2015
home: Plymouth. UK
ThankYou 548

RE: Ennio Morriconnie 2016

#2 by Andrew Woodcock ( deleted ) , Tue Jan 05, 2016 9:41 pm

What a smashing birthday present! He will be thrilled I'm sure Tom.

Andrew Woodcock

#3 by Tom Photiou , Tue Jan 05, 2016 9:52 pm

He will, it was him that always played the LP soundtracks to the westerns when i was growing up so its what i grew up with and we'r both big fans of his music.
There's many great composers out there, John Williams comes to mind, (unfortunately, we have lost some good ones to, John Barry, James Horner),
Morriconnie is often written up as one of the greatest music composers of modern times. He writes, arranges and conducts everything he does, he has written for film, television and even pop artists.
At 87 he still tours Europe.

Tom Photiou
ThankYou 548

#4 by Hugh Thompson Scott ( deleted ) , Tue Jan 05, 2016 10:27 pm

Tom, Morricone is not just a composer, he is a Genius, the Maestro, I have bought loads of his LPs, his films, he is "the living end"
next to the "Floyd", he is God, concerning music.

Tom Photiou likes this
Hugh Thompson Scott

#5 by Tom Photiou , Tue Jan 05, 2016 10:45 pm

100% agree on that one Hugh, its surreal to be at his concerts because after listening to his music for 40 years then to be in that arena and watch him there conducting with his orchestra is such an experience,

Tom Photiou
ThankYou 548

#6 by Alan Rik , Fri Jan 08, 2016 1:08 am

Wasn't that "Reagan's Theme" from "The Exorcist pt. II" in "Hateful Eight"?
Its such a haunting score I never forgot it.

Alan Rik  
Alan Rik
Date registered 11.15.2015
ThankYou 14

#7 by Hugh Thompson Scott ( deleted ) , Fri Jan 08, 2016 1:36 am

Alan, I would say you are totally right, Tarantino makes his films on the back of Composers like Mrricone, Nicolai, etc, just like
the Chinese did in the '70s did with Morricone and Pink Floyd tracks in Martial Arts films, take away the sound, the film is poor,
likewise with Tarantino, Hitler was killed? Even by the US film industry was going too far, or not by the idiots on line. No, even though
he is to be applauded through his love of film as a medium, he has yet to reach the stature of Sergio Leone, who only presented an idea
and had Hollywood falling over itself to finance it, an idea! Tarantino has yet to make a film to match "A Fistful of Dollars", Leone's
apprentice work, and he kept up his workmanship, classics. I'm, afraid Tarantino is not of this grade, he is like James Cameron, latches
onto a good idea, then uses it, even though it isn't his.

Hugh Thompson Scott

#8 by David Ollerearnshaw , Fri Jan 08, 2016 7:52 pm

One of the greats in music The Dollars music and Once West really stand out for me.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9dpNQFpeo6U

"You see, in this world there's two kinds of people, my friend: Those with loaded guns and those who dig. You dig."

http://www.filmsite.org/wavfiles/goodbadugly3.wav

I still love the smell of film in the morning

David Ollerearnshaw
Date registered 08.13.2015
home: Sheffield UK
ThankYou 61

#9 by Tom Photiou , Sun Jan 10, 2016 5:07 pm

Thats all some of his very best, here is two of my all time favourites, look here and try and stick with it for the whole 9 and a half minutes, look at the concentration on Ennio's face as he acknowledges when those French horns come in, this is a great piece of music and the very man you are watching conducting this has written it for each and every instrument including the voice choir. The man is a music genius. I never tire of playing this back over and over again and this is one of the ones he did last year at the O2 and is also in this years programme. At the end of each piece he simply very humbled at the audiences appreciation, the second piece although not conducted here by morriconie himself is also well worth a look, fantastic, stick with them until finished.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oag1Dfa1...aEGPjKnz_7mvA_i

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=we53TOJy..._7mvA_i&index=9

Tom Photiou
ThankYou 548

Last edited 01.10.2016 | Top

#10 by Vidar Olavesen , Sun Jan 10, 2016 5:24 pm

The Thing, 1982 ... Awesome soundtrack (I assume Carpenter had a finger in it though)

Vidar Olavesen
Date registered 08.02.2015
home: Sarpsborg, Norway
ThankYou 348

#11 by Tom Photiou , Sun Jan 10, 2016 5:35 pm

Vidar, yes the music he did for the thing takes horror film music back to where it should be, here you go,

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=meU2gAU7Xss

Tom Photiou
ThankYou 548

#12 by David Hardy ( deleted ) , Sun Jan 10, 2016 10:50 pm

I am a big Morricone fan. However I am not too taken with the Overture I heard on the radio for THE HATEFUL EIGHT.
However I will wait till I hear the rest of the film soundtrack before passing judgement on his latest score.

David Hardy

#13 by Vidar Olavesen , Sun Jan 10, 2016 10:53 pm

Don't let your dislike for Tarantino colour your judgement, okay? February I will hopefully experience the whole thing. I look forward to it

Vidar Olavesen
ThankYou 348

#14 by David Hardy ( deleted ) , Sun Jan 10, 2016 11:22 pm

It is a new Western score by Morricone for The Hateful Eight and he has taken a different direction in this one.
He has broken away from his previous Western musical " trade mark" almost generic sounds of his Leone and other
scores. So we can forget the bells and whistles etc of previous films.

David Hardy

#15 by Hugh Thompson Scott ( deleted ) , Mon Jan 11, 2016 3:39 pm

Good news for us Morricone fans, but I still think Quentin will re use "Big Silence", that main theme just says ice and snow in its arrangement. My favourite themes of "Il Maestro", are "Maddelena", "Winged Devils- Force G", "Revolver"AKA "Blood on The Streets"
and "Leonor", his Westerns, well all of them, he redefined the cowboy film. He did say in interview , he had packed in doing scores for American films, as they only paid him a flat rate. I read somewhere, that everyday, he has royalty cheques landing on his doormat, how lovely, makes a change from bills I suppose.

Hugh Thompson Scott

#16 by Hugh Thompson Scott ( deleted ) , Mon Jan 11, 2016 5:07 pm

I missed out to mention "1900", one of Morricone'a best score's, I would have liked played at my funeral, but I won't be able to hear it, they might as well play Bay City Rollers, I'd imagine there'll be no one there to hear or care, least of all me, scatter me with my dogs.

Hugh Thompson Scott
Last edited Mon Jan 11, 2016 5:15 pm | Top

#17 by Tom Photiou , Tue Jan 12, 2016 1:51 pm

My Mrs said her Uncle was a bit of a comedian, he requested, and got, ive got a brand new combine harvester by the Wurzels played at his. The Vicar was apparently not amused
Personally i bet it lighted the mood for a few brief moments.

Tom Photiou
ThankYou 548

#18 by Vidar Olavesen , Tue Jan 12, 2016 2:10 pm

Hey, Hugh; don't knock tje Rollers. After my Slade period, I had these guys on my mono record player a lot ;-) Dedication played just for me

Vidar Olavesen
ThankYou 348

#19 by Andrew Woodcock ( deleted ) , Tue Jan 12, 2016 3:10 pm

"I drove my Tractor through ur haystack last night...ooh R ooh R" LMFAO.

Never had it requested myself in my days Tom, but good on him, great bit of nostalgic party fun to lighten any mood!

Now anyone for "Mouldy Old Dough" or "My Ding A Ling" ha ha ha?

Andrew Woodcock
Last edited Thu Jan 14, 2016 12:40 am | Top

#20 by Hugh Thompson Scott ( deleted ) , Thu Jan 14, 2016 12:34 am

Ha Ha, Vidar, I too like Slade, they were a bloody good band, the lyrics on their Christmas hit were exemplary, but the "Rollers",
surely not, "So we sang shang alang as we ran with the gang and said bebop be doo be doo Aye", its not Shakespeare is it, one of my
mates uttered something like this as we bundled him into a taxi, I think it was his address. Anyway, I remember a mate at work being
surprised when I said I hated "The Smiths", I'm a music lover I informed him. Very Heavy, very 'Umble.

Hugh Thompson Scott

Sidney Powell responds after Trump campaign says she is not part of legal team:
Independent 8 Christmas Quiz Winner

disconnected Reel-Chat Members online 0
Xobor Create your own Forum with Xobor