how many actually go to film fairs/conventions

#1 by Paul Barker , Mon Jan 04, 2016 10:47 pm

whilst there are film fair events throughout the country i wondered just how many on here actually attend these events. some people have them practically have them on the doorstep yet still never go. after all these events are put on for collectors benefit. support the hobby and all that. yet from what i see many are just content to sit in front of their computer and purchase films etc online. the easy way so to speak. so i would just like to know how many on here ever attend a film fair event.

Paul Barker  
Paul Barker
Date registered 12.01.2015
ThankYou 45

RE: how many actually go to film fairs/conventions

#2 by Andrew Woodcock ( deleted ) , Mon Jan 04, 2016 11:00 pm

Paul, it would be far easier for me for one to go to the film fairs and purchase my films there, than ever to have them shipped over from the U.S. As often applies to my purchases.

There are a multitude of factors surrounding the reasons why people who you may expect should attend, hardly ever do.

I think another collector elaborated in great detail over on the other forum regarding this.

I agree, all events should be supported. In an ideal world, I'd say most people who frequent the forums from all over the world, would simply love to attend them all.

I know I'd love to go to Cinesea if money and commitment were no object.

As with anything else in life, as people with lots and lots of other considerations and factors involved in our busy lives, we do what we can, when we can.

I said of visiting Umits shop in London to my wife when we go later in the year. Not a chance...was the response I got! Lol.

It's all just a balancing act for many of the family men among us here. For everyone who both has the time and resources and the situation to allow them to please themselves, then good luck to them I say.

I have a management work colleague who never misses a Manchester City first team football match anywhere in the world for a first team competetative game. He has the job, marital status and income to allow himself to do so. I, on the other hand, have never been so lucky to find myself in the modern day era ,able to do likewise, despite the fact it is something I'd still love to be able to do.

Andrew Woodcock
Last edited Mon Jan 04, 2016 11:48 pm | Top

#3 by Paul Browning , Mon Jan 04, 2016 11:17 pm

I stopped going years ago Paul because they're like a closing down sale, all the shoving and pushing to get a film, not what I was expecting to be honest. The other thing was people
pretending to talk to the person in front of you, when you've been standing there for half an hour or more, the height of bad manners, so he was told in no uncertain terms to "get in
line " behind me, and this before its even opened. It was obvious to me that the traders had already "traded" there best films between them, and upped the price, and my one purchase of equipment was from a well known company of a film editor, which stated, " fully serviced and REBUILT", when I got it home and checked what they had done, I was horrified. What the advert did not say was it was rebuilt because it looked like it had fell off a cliff, and in several piece's glued back together !!!!!. He was lucky that week after the
convention, as I was about take it back to him and shove where the sun don't shine. This is why I don't go anymore, I can get that kind of crap from the internet dick heads, I don't need it from so called "trusted sellers", who had no doubt had a good laugh at my expense.

Paul Browning  
Paul Browning
Date registered 09.13.2015
ThankYou 181

#4 by Vidar Olavesen , Mon Jan 04, 2016 11:41 pm

Sadly neither money or health is good enough for me to attend to often. Still haven't missed the Norwegian club meets yet. Try to go to the Nordic meetings too. I love the fairs, browsing the tables and meeting new collector friends

Vidar Olavesen
Date registered 08.02.2015
home: Sarpsborg, Norway
ThankYou 348

#5 by Andrew Woodcock ( deleted ) , Mon Jan 04, 2016 11:44 pm

You need to look after yourself first and foremost at the moment Vidar!

I will play big bro for now, in Hugh's immediate absence.

Vidar Olavesen likes this
Vidar Olavesen sais Thank You!
Andrew Woodcock

#6 by Paul Barker , Tue Jan 05, 2016 9:16 am

in reply to paul brownings post i do feel he has been very unfortunate. almost all of the people i know who do attend these events have a really enjoyable time. i myself have always come away with some excellent films. i really do find that going to these events encourages you even more to keep collecting.you are also helping keep this hobby alive. mixing and meeting with fellow collectors. each one with an experience and a story to tell. i have said this before but it always amazes me that you can save a small fortune by buying at film fairs yet many dont or cant be bothered to attend and are willing to pay high internet prices etc for their films. at least you can handle and possibly view a possible purchase at a fair. one well known dealer attends these events as a buyer. picks up a shed load of films at small prices then they go on his lists with a huge profit margin. then i see collectors from forums praising him for getting them a film. i find it a sad state of affairs that here we have a hobby that needs all the encouragement it can get yet there are people out there who enthuse about the hobby but really make no real effort at all. very sad indeed.

Paul Browning sais Thank You!
Paul Barker  
Paul Barker
ThankYou 45

#7 by Timothy Duncan ( deleted ) , Tue Jan 05, 2016 9:27 am

None of those in my part of the country, to my knowledge. Film is very rare to find locally. Back in the fall, I ran across an 8mm reel at an antiques business about two hours away from where I live. But prior to that, it's been YEARS since I've seen any while out and about.

Timothy Duncan
Last edited Tue Jan 05, 2016 9:27 am | Top

#8 by Andrew Woodcock ( deleted ) , Tue Jan 05, 2016 10:21 am

In answer to Paul Barkers latest reply, I don't believe you can rationally level, that people like Paul Browning, "make no effort at all" in supporting the hobby.

Paul may very well now, choose not to bother with film fairs based on his past experiences of these things, but I know Paul has a huge effect on the hobby with the things he does for others and the input he brings with new Innovative ideas for maintaining, improving and further utilizing our equipment.

Quite possibly, there are not too many left anywhere in the world, that spend more than he does on Super 8mm film and equipment in the average year.

He is therefore, supporting the hobby on a great scale but he finds the things he wants globally, not necessarily as close by,as on his doorstep, so to speak.

Paul Browning sais Thank You!
Andrew Woodcock
Last edited Tue Jan 05, 2016 11:30 am | Top

#9 by Paul Barker , Tue Jan 05, 2016 1:41 pm

Andrew i didnt say Paul Browning could not be bothered to make any effort with attending such events. i dont know the man . it was just a shame he had bad experiences whenever he attended some of them.as i have said most those that do go to blackpool. farnworth. ealing etc have a great rewarding time.

Paul Barker  
Paul Barker
ThankYou 45

Last edited 01.05.2016 | Top

#10 by Paul Browning , Tue Jan 05, 2016 1:58 pm

I am quite sad about my lack of attendance over the years Paul, but I do try to contribute in other ways, very much like Andrew, were a bit more hands on if you like, but it has
in no way stopped us from expanding our collections I can assure you, we just use an alternative source. I don't go to the crucible theatre to watch the snooker, but it doesn't stop me
watching it at home, I still buy from the dealers who attend the shows and that counts too.

Paul Browning  
Paul Browning
ThankYou 181

#11 by Andrew Woodcock ( deleted ) , Tue Jan 05, 2016 2:19 pm

Ah ok then sorry then Paul (Barker) if I misread what you were saying, but with you speaking about Paul's (Browning) experiences and then finishing the post by mentioning people are not making an effort, I just took it that the two were linked.

I know I will get lumped into the same bracket of people you are saying about, as will many others, but if you read my latest reply to you over on the other forum, then hopefully you will understand why I don't feel I would personally stand any chance of finding any of what still remains on my absolute "want" list still these days.
These are ultimately some of the few things I would travel around the country to find and obtain and take time out from work or other activities I involve myself in to do so.

As I said there Paul, if you feel I have any chance whatsoever, realistically, I am all ears.

Andrew Woodcock
Last edited Tue Jan 05, 2016 2:47 pm | Top

#12 by Hugh Thompson Scott ( deleted ) , Tue Jan 05, 2016 10:55 pm

Hi Lads, forgive my absence, I had a bit of roof work to be done on a couple of my mates houses, due to storm damage. Anyway, I can
see the problem here where Dealers have first choice of film, that is wrong, they should be admitted alongside the throng, that is fair.
The Dealers do play a big part in this game, they do take a chance on buying blind, as we all do, or did, in my instance, but it should be
a fair ground for all buyers, otherwise what is the point? I have sympathy for the dealer, but he buys in at a lot lower than what he sells,. I remember a conversation with a well known seller complaining of postage charges, until I reminded him, that he did not pay them, WE DID, silence on the phone, but its true. I am not against any Dealer buying at conventions, he has to make a living for God's sake, but it has to be fair. Regarding Paul B's experience, he has every right to be annoyed, how dare they try to rip off the lad, the
Bastards should be named and shamed, no wonder the numbers are dwindling on conventions, at least on ebay he is covered. I have not
finished on my rant, to be continued........

The following members like this: Vidar Olavesen and Paul Browning
Hugh Thompson Scott
Last edited Tue Jan 05, 2016 10:57 pm | Top

#13 by Hugh Thompson Scott ( deleted ) , Tue Jan 05, 2016 11:55 pm

I'll bet a lot of members wish I was still nailing on slates.

Hugh Thompson Scott

#14 by Andrew Woodcock ( deleted ) , Tue Jan 05, 2016 11:57 pm

Wondered where you'd got to Hugh! Ha ha. Glad to have you back here on your throne. Ha ha.

We've just been keeping it warm for you. :))

Had to tell Vidar off, Uncle Hugh style last night, in your absence!

Andrew Woodcock
Last edited Wed Jan 06, 2016 12:00 am | Top

#15 by Paul Browning , Wed Jan 06, 2016 12:08 am

I think the conventions are great for those who enjoy attending and can come away with a bargain time and again, but if someone shafts me, they will do it only once, there is no
second chance, that's on all things when money or trust are betrayed like this. I never say never though, it would be wrong to tar all with the same brush, but I know I could not
hold my tongue if I encountered the seller again, it definitely would be "kung fu fighting".

Paul Browning  
Paul Browning
ThankYou 181

Last edited 01.06.2016 | Top

#16 by Andrew Woodcock ( deleted ) , Wed Jan 06, 2016 12:14 am

No doubt you could even have the Carl Douglas 7" vinyl playing in the background Paul! Lol.

Andrew Woodcock
Last edited Wed Jan 06, 2016 12:16 am | Top

#17 by Hugh Thompson Scott ( deleted ) , Wed Jan 06, 2016 12:30 am

Paul, I can understand your stance on conventions, I too would be the same, you should let us know who the swine were
who took advantage. You are right on the Dealers bit too. I must admit, I have attended the Blackpool Conventions and thoroughly
enjoyed them, had dinner with some great folk, including John Shearsmith, John Huntley and many more lovely folk. I have to admit.I
love telling stories, had our tables in fits, a lovely Scots group, pissed themselves when I did the "Rab Nesbitt" routine on "Blackpool
being the Las Vegas for scum", the lady of one of the husbands told us that her better half had sawed off a chunk of her door frame because it interfered with his 'Scope films, we howled at this, her hubby sat like Stan Laurel, totally uninvolved! I had to change my underwear. I love the Scots.

Hugh Thompson Scott

#18 by Hugh Thompson Scott ( deleted ) , Wed Jan 06, 2016 12:57 am

Cheers Andrew, no, it seems, when friends are in need, you help, when you need friends, heaven help you. Just my view
of late. I've been doing my International rescue bit. Anyway, Happy New Year to all our members. Also, what has our Vidar
been up to of late, it'll all come out our Vidar, best come clean .

Hugh Thompson Scott
Last edited Wed Jan 06, 2016 1:13 am | Top

#19 by Paul Barker , Wed Jan 06, 2016 11:14 am

well what an abysmal responce in the number replies to my post. it just seems that only a few people bother to respond on this forum. the main users making comments are only a handful of people.and its the same ones all the time. whats a forum for. people should respond/participate for or against. many just cannot be bothered.

Paul Barker  
Paul Barker
ThankYou 45

#20 by Andrew Woodcock ( deleted ) , Wed Jan 06, 2016 11:48 am

Yes, I agree Paul. We do have many members that prefer just to read the posts here rather than actually comment on any, or certainly many.

It's proportionately no different to any of the other forums though in that respect, and to be fair, that is their prerogative I suppose.

The main thing to me is that people remain interested in film and its associated equipment in whichever way they wish to participate in the hobby.

Andrew Woodcock
Last edited Wed Jan 06, 2016 12:23 pm | Top

#21 by Jonathan Trevithick ( deleted ) , Wed Jan 06, 2016 12:08 pm

Following this thread with interest Paul but have been readmitted to hospital so haven't got the energy to type. Sorry to be off topic and no messages of sympathy needed, please!

Paul Barker sais Thank You!
Jonathan Trevithick

#22 by Vidar Olavesen , Wed Jan 06, 2016 5:31 pm

Sorry, can't help it. All the best wishes, even if you not want it. Get well soon

Vidar Olavesen
Date registered 08.02.2015
home: Sarpsborg, Norway
ThankYou 348

#23 by David Ollerearnshaw , Wed Jan 06, 2016 7:23 pm

Not visited a convention since Derann at Blackpool ten years since. I might try Farnworth next month. Bought quite a few films over the years from them though. Got a Elf 16mm from Derann's carpark it was prearrange with Ritz Films though.

"Play 'Misty' for me."

http://www.filmsite.org/wavfiles/playmistyforme.wav

I still love the smell of film in the morning

David Ollerearnshaw
Date registered 08.13.2015
home: Sheffield UK
ThankYou 61

#24 by Bill Parsons , Wed Jan 06, 2016 7:26 pm

I usually attend the London film conventions and Blackpool when I can, I enjoy them both, I also like the smaller fairs, it’s just the travelling I do not like!
The conventions are a lot calmer nowadays they used to be a bit of a scrum, particularly the bring and buy stalls, I can remember years ago at the BFCC bring and buy picking up a film to look at and the chap next to me snatching it out of my saying he was looking at it, if I was a violent person there could have been a bit of a playground fight ! the bring and buy was very calm at Blackpool this year, maybe a lot of the films that would have been on these stalls end up on eBay these days.
Did I read you are coming to London on April 2nd Andrew ? If so we must meet up for a coffee.

Bill Parsons  
Bill Parsons
Date registered 10.07.2015
home: Brookland, Kent, Uk
ThankYou 23

#25 by Andrew Woodcock ( deleted ) , Wed Jan 06, 2016 7:53 pm

It's later on than that Bill but yes, I'd certainly love to meet up with you for a leisurely coffee Bill. That would be superb!

I'd have to drop my wife off at Stamford Bridge first so she could gain her "fix" from one of her interests. Lol.

What you described above Bill, reminds me of the mid 80's January sales at "Next" clothing departments.
I went once with my ex wife and vowed never ever to set foot in the place ever again during the sales.
Some people just show their true colours at these times and they are little more than greedy selfish uncivilized Vultures in my opinion.
They're welcome to it if they want it that badly!!!

Bill Parsons likes this
Andrew Woodcock
Last edited Wed Jan 06, 2016 8:00 pm | Top

Sidney Powell responds after Trump campaign says she is not part of legal team:
The Return Of David Hardy & all that ...

disconnected Reel-Chat Members online 1
Xobor Create your own Forum with Xobor