RE: how many actually go to film fairs/conventions

#26 by Hugh Thompson Scott ( deleted ) , Thu Jan 07, 2016 7:29 pm

Andrew has got it right, keep the better half happy, "When the cats away, the mice will have a Beano", good thinking my son.

Hugh Thompson Scott

#27 by Hugh Thompson Scott ( deleted ) , Thu Jan 07, 2016 8:36 pm

I can appreciate Paul Barker's consternation at only a handful of replies to a truly excellent post, but some folk are readers not contributors, hence the "old gang". I used to attend the Blackpool fests, I think the last one was when Anne Simmonds was "Master
of Ceremonies", God love her, anyway, thoroughly enjoyed it, met some great German lads who I'd only corresponded with, the
"Gwangi" men, ( you'd need to read the earlier posts", in all my attendance at Blackpool, I have never encountered anything only good
manners, never experienced pushing etc, the majority were older gents, so manners go without saying, even appeared on someones home video, as I was "Tomas Milian", from numerous Spaghetti westerns, I only ever encountered bad manners at Manchester, at the Film Festival, a young woman was constantly ignored by bar staff, men getting served before her, pushing in, I'd just said my goodnight to Harry Nadler, he was off to bed, I needed a pain killer, I was going to sit through "Rodan",
hence my chance encounter with this young lady, I caught the ignorant bastards attention behind the bar, through a bit of negotiation with the bar flies, ( get out of my F'./;. way) he took my order and was introduced to her Husband, non other than Wayne Kinsey, he was not an author then, but has published many works on Hammer since, they still made a fuss of me at the Bray Convention years later. Anyway, I
can go on at my rescue of four foreign girls from a fire at the hotel that night, or having a good laugh with Dave Prowse and Wayne and
our Susan in her nightie in the foyer of Sacha's , some photo's of meeting my Hero, I truly love this man, he is the reason I love film,
he made my childhood the best a lad could have, I not on;ly met the man, I cuddled him, he is my "Uncle Ray".

Vidar Olavesen likes this
Hugh Thompson Scott
Last edited Thu Jan 07, 2016 8:44 pm | Top

#28 by Hugh Thompson Scott ( deleted ) , Thu Jan 07, 2016 8:51 pm

I am trying to remember how to unload piccies, bear with me.

Hugh Thompson Scott

#29 by Hugh Thompson Scott ( deleted ) , Thu Jan 07, 2016 9:16 pm

Still trying

Attached pictures:
P1040667.JPG   P1040680.JPG  

Hugh Thompson Scott

#30 by Hugh Thompson Scott ( deleted ) , Thu Jan 07, 2016 9:35 pm

The Photographer on the right, is Wayne Kinsey, who being the gentleman he was, apologised to ME, for getting in shot, not a problem to me, we later became friends, due to my earlier encounter with Cathy, from the bad service. Anyway, I did meet the author R. Chetwyd Hayes, a very quiet reserved chap, his stories have been used in various horror films.

Hugh Thompson Scott

#31 by Hugh Thompson Scott ( deleted ) , Thu Jan 07, 2016 9:37 pm

I hope some pics, it is not easy for a thick head like me.

Hugh Thompson Scott

#32 by Hugh Thompson Scott ( deleted ) , Thu Jan 07, 2016 10:46 pm

Here are a few shots of our stay at Oakley Court, the "haunted hotel" used in many horror films. My late "Uncle" included.
how I miss him, and shots I took of the cemetery in Bray, Susan and I were led by a little black cat around this cemetery
it kept just feet in front, no doubt a local puss, of which I do love, I had one that got me up for work! Susan in playful
mood.

Attached pictures:
P1040675.JPG   P1040686.JPG   P1040687.JPG   P1040688.JPG   P1040696.JPG  

The following members like this: Vidar Olavesen, Clyde Miles and Mats Abelli
Hugh Thompson Scott

#33 by Vidar Olavesen , Thu Jan 07, 2016 10:57 pm

Posting pictures like a pro. Nice :-)

Vidar Olavesen
Date registered 08.02.2015
home: Sarpsborg, Norway
ThankYou 348

#34 by Hugh Thompson Scott ( deleted ) , Thu Jan 07, 2016 11:26 pm

It ain't easy bruv, I am not in tune, hammers and chisels, trowels and mortar, fine, techno, animals have more sense.

Hugh Thompson Scott

#35 by Hugh Thompson Scott ( deleted ) , Thu Jan 07, 2016 11:39 pm

Thanks Vidar, maybe its the aging process, but computers are not my bag, building, roofing, fighting, not so much now, the latter but
techno, leaves me cold. Thanks be to God we have you guys that know the score.

Hugh Thompson Scott

#36 by Hugh Thompson Scott ( deleted ) , Fri Jan 08, 2016 12:53 am

Is it me that see the past in some coloured red mist, or were folk better mannered, I don't think so.Folk at the earlier
Conventions were both civil and courteous , I'd love those times again, my past "Blacky" get togethers were along the lines of
pre arranged film exchanges, just pick ups, from the late but great Tony Churcher, Harry Nadler and Peter Hemstock, sadly all
departed, hence my lack of attendance lately, all my mates are dead, including Derek Simmonds, so to me these conventions
are now lost in the mist's of time, you cannot go back, in my mind, it is ended. The Blackpool event will still go on, the "sparkle"
has gone. No doubt I'll hear about what a great event I've missed, I doubt it, compare tickets at the door as to when Simmonds ran it,
I had to squeeze in, but no fighting for titles, manners ruled then.

Hugh Thompson Scott

#37 by Jonathan Trevithick ( deleted ) , Fri Jan 08, 2016 3:52 am

Peter Hemstock was a great guy. I remember visiting him at his house once in the 90s with a friend who was getting a heap of films.
I was just buying some film posters which I think he kept in a shed in his garden.

Jonathan Trevithick

#38 by Paul Barker , Fri Jan 08, 2016 11:03 am

i too can remember just like Hugh the so called good old days. and yes Hugh is right you cannot go back but you can go forward. regards to film conventions and film fairs yes there are changes but arnt there in everything. nothing stays the same. you have to move on. the film events these days are all excellent if you dont harp on the past. the last couple of blackpool fairs have been tremendous. where else in the uk can you attend a 2/3 day event in a great hotel with superb facilities with like minded people. far far better location than derann ever had. the saturday evening meal event continues thanks to the efforts put in by Adrian Winchester and David Watson. again as good as anything derann gave. to be fair we dont have the likes of big name after dinner speakers with the charm that Derek Simmonds had to get them. we did however have Keith Wilton with us at the last one. a well respected man and who assisted no end . anyone who attends his ealing events will know just what lengths he goes too to give everyone a great filmic time. so i find it sad to hear people say its not the same. good times are there at all the film events that run throughout the year in various parts of the country. people should attend and experience and then make comment. a great time is there if you look for it. so well done to all organisers of such events. next one is Nigels farnworth film fair. cannot wait.

Paul Barker  
Paul Barker
Date registered 12.01.2015
ThankYou 45

#39 by Hugh Thompson Scott ( deleted ) , Sun Jan 10, 2016 12:41 am

Hi Paul, I don't mean any offence, or to cast aspersions on the present conventions, how can I, I don't attend, just my observations on
the folk who attended the "old school" ones, which were great, no nastiness or pushing for films, just well mannered like minded people.
I wonder how many of our members "better halves" attend the conventions now, there were quite a lot back in the day, I know my mem sahib enjoyed their company, along with our mate Tony Churcher, who always made a bee line for Suse, I was dutifully ignored. Happy
days though, as no doubt these present get togethers will be for folk that attend, well worth the effort. I myself have dogs which I don't
want to put in kennels, mainly because they spent a lot of time in there before we got them, their owners both dead, they're getting on in years, so hence my reticence, coupled with the closure of our local ones through the owner seeking retirement.

Hugh Thompson Scott
Last edited Sun Jan 10, 2016 12:42 am | Top

Sidney Powell responds after Trump campaign says she is not part of legal team:
The Return Of David Hardy & all that ...

disconnected Reel-Chat Members online 1
Xobor Create your own Forum with Xobor