FILM MUSICALS

#1 by David Hardy ( deleted ) , Tue Dec 08, 2015 3:36 pm

Who here on our forum likes and collects Film Musicals on FILM ?
What do you have ?

David Hardy

RE: FILM MUSICALS

#2 by Paul Browning , Tue Dec 08, 2015 7:37 pm

Hi David, I have just received "west side Story " from Francisco on super 8 scope, not sure if its a kempski print but looking at his uploads it might be, I also have "Singing in the rain",
The Glen Miller Story, Hello Dolly, That's Entertainment, Grease, all classics for different reasons I believe.

Paul Browning  
Paul Browning
Date registered 09.13.2015
ThankYou 181

#3 by Vidar Olavesen , Tue Dec 08, 2015 7:54 pm

Not a big fan of the genre myself. I do like Grease a bit and have the feature. Also have Calamity Jane (thanks Andrew), Top Hat all on Super 8. Recently bought a 16mm of a film about The Beatles (not seen yet). Some digests like Easter Parade, Anchor's Aweigh, Showboat. Song of the South 16mm ... That's what I remember off the top of my head

Vidar Olavesen
Date registered 08.02.2015
home: Sarpsborg, Norway
ThankYou 344

#4 by Paul Browning , Tue Dec 08, 2015 8:17 pm

Thanks Vidar, I just remembered I have "Hard days night" feature, and a rare colour " Beatles in town", which Grease feature do you have Derann or Marketing ?.

Paul Browning  
Paul Browning
Date registered 09.13.2015
ThankYou 181

#5 by Tom Photiou , Tue Dec 08, 2015 8:43 pm

Only recently bought some musicals, never really bothered before but i dont mind some of them now. I think in middle age you begin to appreciate the real talent thats put into them, but also realise what utter crap today's musicals are.
In my collection we have
Saturday night fever, 3 x 400 footer,
Grease, Derann full length Scope re recorded into stereo,
Thats Entertainment odd reels four in all,
the best 3 reels of thats Dancing,
Cant stop the music scope 400 footer from Derann, ( a God awful film but jolly, a faggoty)
The Big parade, excellent Scope/stereo excerpt from Hello Dolly,
New York New York, super 400 footer from Derann and with no fade,
Rocky Horror Picture Show 400 footer,
Thank you very Much excerpt in scope from Scrooge,
The Sound of Music full feature,
Summer Holiday, 400 footer in Scope,
Beatles on the Ed Sullivan Shows,
Beatles in Concert, he Beatles come to Town in Scope, although faded very rare in Scope, (this one never had very good colours when new),
Around The Beatles, rare TV show from the 60s on 1 x 800 foot spool. A host of 60s pop stars in this one as well.
The Muppet Movie 400 footer, plenty a short songs in this one,
Westside Story, 600 footer made up of the 400 footer and the 200 footer in Scope,
The South Pacific musical excerpt 200 foot reel from Derann in Scope,
Xanado mounted onto 1 x 600 foot spool,
Yankee Doodle Dandy 400 footer.
Singing in the rain the MGM 2 x 400 footers.

Trailers to go with these
Evita, Another Brick in the Wall Pink Floyd video, Dancin' in the Street with Jagger & Bowie, Fantasia 2000, Lion King Promo Elton John, Little Mermaid Sing a Long, Saturday Night Fever Long trailer, The Sound of Music very long trailer, Yankee Doodle Dandy. Thats Dancing.

I never really looked at how many of these i have, more than i thought, but would love to add the feature of Singing in the rain but only at a sensible price.

Martin Dew likes this

Tom Photiou
Date registered 08.14.2015
home: Plymouth. UK
ThankYou 545

#6 by Vidar Olavesen , Tue Dec 08, 2015 8:50 pm

My Grease feature is Marketing Films. Do Elvis films count as musicals? I have a few of those too.

Vidar Olavesen
ThankYou 344

#7 by Tom Photiou , Tue Dec 08, 2015 9:12 pm

Also forgot
Elvis The Movie, (Thanks Vidar )
Elvis on the Ed Sullivan Shows, 1 x 800 footer,
Bugs Malone 400 footer
Tommy, Iver 400 footer.

Tom Photiou
Date registered 08.14.2015
home: Plymouth. UK
ThankYou 545

#8 by Andrew Woodcock ( deleted ) , Tue Dec 08, 2015 9:41 pm

Being very passionate about music as well as film, it's not surprising that I do like like to collect these type of films.
I don't have as many as I'd like, but that is more often than not just down timing with other types of films that I've wanted more at the times of their sales, taking priority for me.

I have The Sound Of Music, Hello Dolly, Grease (abridged), Saturday Night Fever, Thats Dancing, Mary Poppins, Calamity Jane, Seven Brides For Seven Brothers and a host of Disney features that can be considered musicals such as the Lion King, Beauty & The Beast as well as a whole host of Elvis movies.

I hope to be able to find The King & I and Singing In The Rain one day.

I've also got many short musical extracts including some of those Tom mentioned as well as many digests including Carousel, Gigi etc etc.

Andrew Woodcock
Last edited Tue Dec 08, 2015 9:45 pm | Top

#9 by David Hardy ( deleted ) , Wed Dec 09, 2015 9:42 pm

Wow ! That's quite a selection there folks. Vidar I suppose Elvis films could be regarded as musicals
since most of the songs fit in with the narrative.

Vidar Olavesen likes this
David Hardy

#10 by Andrew Woodcock ( deleted ) , Wed Dec 09, 2015 9:53 pm

yes David, I think of them as such. Admittedly they don't follow the usual formula but it is the songs and his undoubted charisma that draws me to them.
Certainly not the scripts anyhow! Lol.

On Super 8, nearly all are showing signs of some degree of fade, but who cares, it's Elvis!

Andrew Woodcock

#11 by Andrew Woodcock ( deleted ) , Sat Apr 29, 2017 4:56 pm

added The Wizard of Oz and That's Entertainment onto my earlier list more recently.
That's Dancing I had already if I didn't list that one and of course I have added GIGI and Gentlemen Prefer Blondes since the initial post was written, to the collection.

"C'Mon Baggy, Get With The Beat"

The following members like this: Vidar Olavesen and Eivind Mork
Andrew Woodcock
Last edited Sun Apr 30, 2017 9:33 pm | Top

#12 by Andrew Woodcock ( deleted ) , Sat Apr 29, 2017 5:42 pm

If anyone could post me a photograph of the original design Derann used for That's Entertainment box art, that would be most appreciated thank you.
The Wizard Of Oz, I had already stored on my hard drive.

Still very much on the look out for Singing In The Rain (Derann) if one ever appears at an appropriate price point.

Andrew Woodcock
Last edited Sun Apr 30, 2017 11:05 am | Top

#13 by Andrew Woodcock ( deleted ) , Sun Apr 30, 2017 1:42 pm

Anyone with this cover art on their PC's??

Andrew Woodcock

#14 by Luís Caramelo , Sun Apr 30, 2017 3:18 pm

hi! too all.i not a big fun of musicals just a few here what i got;

-sound of music full lenght scope

-seven brides for seven brothers full lenght

-singing in the rain full lenght

-top hat full lenght

-showboat full lenght

thats all folks

best

Luís Caramelo  
Luís Caramelo
Date registered 10.10.2015
ThankYou 17

#15 by Andrew Woodcock ( deleted ) , Sun Apr 30, 2017 3:36 pm

That's not a bad collection of Full Length Quality Musical Features on Super 8mm you have there Luis considering you don't particularly enjoy Musicals!!

I'm gonna make my own then for That's Entertainment thanks.

Andrew Woodcock
Last edited Sun Apr 30, 2017 3:37 pm | Top

#16 by Andrew Woodcock ( deleted ) , Sun Apr 30, 2017 5:58 pm

That'll do!

Tried a different approach recently while creating 1200ft art for The Adventures Of Robin Hood..
I used actual screenshots I captured after first cleaning it for the movie frames on the side.
Though not perfectly clear here due to the glare from the laminations, it did actually work out rather well!

Andrew Woodcock
Last edited Sun Apr 30, 2017 6:01 pm | Top

#17 by Vidar Olavesen , Sun Apr 30, 2017 6:05 pm

I envy you the skills. Gorgeous

Vidar Olavesen
ThankYou 344

#18 by Andrew Woodcock ( deleted ) , Sun Apr 30, 2017 6:08 pm

It's really easy Vidar and takes hardly any time once you have put a little time into setting up the right sized templates.
If you are doing each from scratch, it does become a little too time consuming, but doing it this way, works out great for any library collection as they all look uniform in their overall appearance on the shelves, more or less anyhow.

Certainly a little more cheerful, not to mention far more practical for screening, than the original format and packaging anyhow!

What a boring box for one film with such lovely and vibrant beautiful colour!

I left "That's Entertainment!" on 600ft reels and boxes. Not only because of it's original leads and tails on this one, but also because these type of films and others like "That's Dancing" very much lend themselves to being viewed one reel at a time as they are an assortment of film clips throughout the glorious years of Hollywood.

Andrew Woodcock
Last edited Sun Apr 30, 2017 6:22 pm | Top

#19 by Andrew Woodcock ( deleted ) , Sun Apr 30, 2017 6:51 pm

Two down, one to go. Lazy days and Sundays.... eh.

The following members like this: Vidar Olavesen and Alessandro Pavoni
Andrew Woodcock

#20 by Andrew Woodcock ( deleted ) , Sun Jul 02, 2017 1:02 pm

Just added "The Jolson Story" to the existing collection of musicals.
Still very much on the lookout for the Derann FL version of "Grease" one day, as well as "The King & I", "Westside Story" and "Singing In The Rain" to name but a few.😊

I would have loved another copy of "That'll Be The Day" starring David Essex & Ringo Starr, a film I had first time around in the hobby, but sadly they never made it onto low fade stock in the era these were released by Derann.

Eivind Mork likes this
Andrew Woodcock
Last edited Sun Jul 02, 2017 1:10 pm | Top

#21 by David Alligan , Sun Jul 02, 2017 4:52 pm

A very good musical that I enjoyed in my collection was "there's no business like showbusiness" one of Detains best in my opinion

David Alligan  
David Alligan
Date registered 07.11.2016
home: Felixstowe, Suffolk, UK
ThankYou 45

#22 by Andrew Woodcock ( deleted ) , Sun Jul 02, 2017 6:08 pm

Another to look out for David. It crops up occasionally but as with anything with Marilyn Monroe in it on good stock still, it doesn't gather dust for too long when one surfaces.

GiGI is one I want to revisit soon. Terrific scenery all around Paris and Maurice Chavalier's voice is one of the most iconic and unique in the business.

GIGI is a film you can see on more than just a few occasions as to where Disney got their ideas and inspirations from for certain characters and films of around that time period.

Great stuff!😊😊

Andrew Woodcock
Last edited Sun Jul 02, 2017 6:16 pm | Top

Sidney Powell responds after Trump campaign says she is not part of legal team:
Off on vacation

disconnected Reel-Chat Members online 0
Xobor Create your own Forum with Xobor