Classic Update.

#1 by Andrew Woodcock ( deleted ) , Tue Dec 01, 2015 6:03 pm

I have had my usual CHC updated mailing list sent to me today and there are many new items within it Phil assures us all. Please take time out to see Phil's updated list.

He does however admit to there not being much in the way of New super 8mm features coming through to him still at the moment though,sadly for us all.

Phil also speaks of how he attended the recent Blackpoool convention.
He says ,as has now been well documented, that it was very well attended and speaks of next year's event already being cemented as going ahead in the way we have already learned recently for the event organiser Mr David Guest.

In Phil's opinion he says he was disappointed overall with the auction at Blackpool and also its location in the dealers room.
These are Phil's words in his mail to everyone, not mine, so please don't shoot the messenger so to speak lol.

Ealing, next year, according to Phil, is still uncertain at this stage as to whether or not it will go ahead.

I hope for all our members in the south and Midlands that it does.
There is much talk at the moment regarding lack of support for the hobby at the moment regarding conventions and the likes in the Midlands regions.

Dave Alligan likes this
Dave Alligan sais Thank You!
Andrew Woodcock

RE: Classic Update.

#2 by Paul Barker , Tue Dec 01, 2015 11:28 pm

hello to everyone. with regard to where to place the auction at blackpool ie in the cinema or in the main dealers room is a bit of a problem. in my opinion be it in either. while its on it detracts people from buying with the dealers. so i assume that could be why phil from classic was unhappy. but im just guessing on this. but this has always been the case when the auction is in progress. the auction has always been a highlight of the blackpool film fair and i assume always will be. i myself like many others are just so happy blackpool is still going. lets face it . when derann closed shop. we all thought it was the end full stop. yet here we are nearly into 2016 and it still continues. and thanks to david guest it carries on. and its getting better every year.

The following members like this: Clyde Miles and Mats Abelli
Paul Barker  
Paul Barker
Date registered 12.01.2015
ThankYou 45

#3 by Andrew Woodcock ( deleted ) , Wed Dec 02, 2015 9:04 am

I know Derann did organize the Blackpool event when they were active Paul, but considering Derann were not renowned as being a 16mm distributor,(just a dabble in their latter years in the second hand market) then I am surprised to hear you say that one dealers demise would probably signal the end of a northern film convention that caters for all the different gauges on film as well as all the other parafinalia that accompanies film interests.

Surely the continuation of the convention was never seriously in doubt just from the closure of Derann?

Andrew Woodcock
Last edited Wed Dec 02, 2015 9:08 am | Top

#4 by Paul Barker , Wed Dec 02, 2015 9:48 am

hi i disagree Andrew. i think you will find that i like many others thought it was the end of blackpool with derann running it all those years. and if david guest hadnt stepped in. well can you name anyone else who would be doing it. and as successfully as it is now. the move to the hilton was a masterstroke for one thing.

Dave Alligan does not like this!
Paul Barker  
Paul Barker
Date registered 12.01.2015
ThankYou 45

#5 by Andrew Woodcock ( deleted ) , Wed Dec 02, 2015 5:38 pm

Yes Paul it was just a question to others rather than a statement. But I was surprised to hear that Derann had so much "pull" on the collecting world given the fact they only really dealt with the 8mm side of the business on the whole and never really affected the 16mm collectors world.

I know David is purely a 16mm man at heart, so I'd have thought he and others would always have been able fill the gap for the 16mm world and others the 9.5 world etc.

Hats off to David though for keeping this event well and truly running!

Andrew Woodcock
Last edited Wed Dec 02, 2015 5:40 pm | Top

#6 by Hugh Thompson Scott ( deleted ) , Wed Dec 02, 2015 8:34 pm

Well, they did have an effect on the 16mm world Andrew as they had a large 16mm Hire library, coupled to the many page lists of 16mm prints for sale on their monthly lists. Derann also had their own video label with many releases there too.

Hugh Thompson Scott

Sidney Powell responds after Trump campaign says she is not part of legal team:
Paul Barker.

disconnected Reel-Chat Members online 0
Xobor Create your own Forum with Xobor