Has E bay gone mad....or is this the norm

#1 by Gwyn Morgan , Wed Nov 18, 2015 2:58 pm

Has E Bay gone mad or is it me but I see that there is a set of premier rewind arms for sale for £200 yes £200,and there is rust on them.It may be me but I think some of the prices asked for items is getting silly.Anyway I put this out there for anyone who may feel the same or otherwise.📽📽📽📽😊

Gwyn Morgan
Date registered 08.03.2015
home: Devon
ThankYou 273

RE: Has E bay gone mad....or is this the norm

#2 by Vidar Olavesen , Wed Nov 18, 2015 3:16 pm

The whole world has gone mad ... Terrorism (I mean then 1500 dollar for Aliens), and eBay Global Shipping ... All so wrong. Our hobby is gonna cost us if it continues, but at least I am happy to have a fair collection to enjoy for years still.

Vidar Olavesen
Date registered 08.02.2015
home: Sarpsborg, Norway
ThankYou 348

#3 by Gwyn Morgan , Wed Nov 18, 2015 3:37 pm

Is there a conspiracy to price the hobby out of existence 😁😁

The following members like this: Vidar Olavesen and Eivind Mork

Gwyn Morgan
ThankYou 273

#4 by Barry Attwood ( deleted ) , Wed Nov 18, 2015 4:42 pm

The trouble is in this digital world of today, anything analogue or old, is now considered very collectable, and when people find those 'OLD' films and equipment, they think just because they are old, somehow that makes them exspensive, I bet many of the people selling these items are relatively young in years, and know nothing of the actual hobby, and are just clamouring to make a fast Buck, still if we simply ignore these stupid prices, they will come down eventually, if they really want to sell their items. Unfortunately some items like 'Star Wars' and the 'Alien' films will always find a sucker to pay the inflated prices.

The following members like this: Vidar Olavesen and Mats Abelli
Barry Attwood

#5 by David Ollerearnshaw , Wed Nov 18, 2015 5:50 pm

Wenn Sie hier auf Links zu eBay klicken und einen Kauf tätigen, kann dies dazu führen, dass diese Website eine Provision erhält.

I need some money. so analogue or old I have decided to put myself on ebay. Oldish and defiantly analogue.

"I'm sorry Dave, I'm afraid I can't do that."

I still love the smell of film in the morning

Mats Abelli likes this

David Ollerearnshaw
Date registered 08.13.2015
home: Sheffield UK
ThankYou 61

#6 by Tom Photiou , Wed Nov 18, 2015 8:30 pm

Well,,,, i have Derann Ad reel 8 on there at present, but i see someone else has ad reel 14 described as good yet it appears to be covered in scratches and its up to £51 so far. Its scratched for gawds sake.

Tom Photiou
Date registered 08.14.2015
home: Plymouth. UK
ThankYou 548

#7 by Jonathan Trevithick ( deleted ) , Wed Nov 18, 2015 8:58 pm

Tom, as a collector mainly of trailers and adverts i've noticed massive price increases in the past two years. There certainly are some very rich collectors out there.
I can honestly say, as much as I love film, there isn't one title I would splash out $1500 for!

Jonathan Trevithick

#8 by Andrew Woodcock ( deleted ) , Wed Nov 18, 2015 9:01 pm

Me neither Jonathan, not even half that amount.

Andrew Woodcock

#9 by Jonathan Trevithick ( deleted ) , Wed Nov 18, 2015 9:03 pm

I forget who bought Aliens but i'm pretty sure it was posted on another forum that he was very happy with it. So, $1500 well spent!

Jonathan Trevithick

#10 by Andrew Woodcock ( deleted ) , Wed Nov 18, 2015 9:09 pm

It's a top find. No doubt about that, but at the price I pay for a piece of modern day display equipment, then it's a shiny disc for me on this one.

Being a purist can only stretch so far for us mere mortals.

Andrew Woodcock

#11 by Hugh Thompson Scott ( deleted ) , Thu Nov 19, 2015 1:35 am

Its as I said previously lads, these films are going to keep going up in price, it won't be newcomers who buy them, but the folk that
missed out on a much loved title. Obviously a stopping point will be reached, I just wonder at the sense, or lack of it, as Andrew
rightly says, being film collectors does have limits, especially when alternatives are readily available.

Hugh Thompson Scott

#12 by David Hardy ( deleted ) , Thu Nov 19, 2015 9:54 am

If this trend continues it may force some film collectors to stop buying film altogether and turn them to
collecting on the "unmentionables"and the projection systems now available for a fraction of the costs. That is if Ebay sellers are able to " call the shots" as to the value of
any print which at the moment is totally unrealistic for the film collector with a very limited budget.
However such ebay sellers may in the long term shoot themselves in the foot in the sense that SANE film collectors refuse to
pay such prices and its the collector who may force prices down.
On the other hand SANE film collectors may decide to sell own their collections whilst prices are high and get out of the scene
and make a bit of money if needs must.
The true VALUE of a print can be a very subjective thing and tinged with waves of nostalgia which in the end may dictate what price
a film collector is willing to pay.
For example I don't care for a film such as STAR WARS and would not pay even £ 50.00 for a full length print of it on any gauge.
So I would certainly never pay £ 1000.00 for it or any other print as I am not that crazy even if I had the wealth to do so.

David Hardy

#13 by David Hardy ( deleted ) , Thu Nov 19, 2015 10:07 am

My other concern is also that our long established Film Dealers such as Barry at Independent 8 or Phil at CHC may have to
raise their prices too in order to survive in competition with Ebay sellers.
Worse still and I hope this never happens....cause such dealers to shut up shop and call it a day.
Now that would be a sad day indeed for us all and may be the death knell for myself to buy anymore prints at all.
EBAY lacks that personal interaction and trust that can be gained by getting to know your film dealer. I wonder if in the end
I may boycott ebay film purchases in the near future.

David Hardy
Last edited Thu Nov 19, 2015 10:10 am | Top

#14 by Tom Photiou , Thu Nov 19, 2015 1:41 pm

Wenn Sie hier auf Links zu eBay klicken und einen Kauf tätigen, kann dies dazu führen, dass diese Website eine Provision erhält.

Exactly, i have been saying for a couple of years now that ebay will accelerate the death of the dealer, and i have to say i am playing my part in that.I never liked ebay in the early days and i still dont,however, i'm not a total moron and i f i want to sell a film i will use it. Why? Because of the prices you can get that no dealer would pay,for obvious reasons.
To put it in perspective, this year out of a total of approx 400 films i have sold a few shorts, namely some trailers i have had for years, a couple of short reels that i bought and were disappointing in condition after being told they were fine or good, a few pinking or red reels. all in all probably a total running time of approx 40-60 minutes worth of film.Either way it hasn't made a dent in our collection, and we are still looking to sell a few doubles we have. What this raised has allowed me to buy a digital projector to get me into big screen the other way,(and a very cheap way) and also three features and numerous shorts from dealers. Thats why i use it, sell films to buy films.
BUT. like some other members there is no way on earth i will pay stupid money for second hand movies, at the end of the day its a movie, you even know what's going to happen when you watch it. Rather than pay £1500 for Aliens, (& its a film i would like), i'd get the blu ray and put it across the same size screen, with better sound and no scratches. I do not prefer this method but aside the noise of the projector the result is virtually the same. The most i will pay for any two hour movies is no more than £250, then it would have to be in mint condition, and this would be pushing my thoughts as to shall i or wont i?
If you have a manic amount of dosh in the bank then of course the price wont bother you but i was bought up on an average wage by parents who taught me the value of money & how to appreciate what you earn, not to throw it down the drain. I have bought many films over the years and after watching it wished i happened parted with the money, not so much now, but years ago when you bought that A-B condition film and it was shit and full of scratches and you had to return it and often did not get your return postage costs back. Now a days if DVD or Blu ray is trashy you can throw it and not worry, especially if it was 50p at a boot sale.
But make no mistake, ebay will accelerate the dealers closing, you all must have read Barry of Indi 8s news on his latest list, the dealers simply cannot buy the titles we all want because they all end up on ebay.
I see also the announcement of the feature release of the spy who loved me, i would love a copy but come on, how much will that be? Be honest here, how many of you reading this will pay it?

Tom Photiou
ThankYou 548

#15 by Hugh Thompson Scott ( deleted ) , Thu Nov 19, 2015 2:06 pm

Tom, let us be honest here, ebay is a Godsend, there are many films I have added to my collection that I never have even seen on
dealers lists, Not all films are ridiculously priced, I've just added a 16mm print of "Spartacus" to my inventory, with half decent colour for £110.00 inc post and customs, that is one of many obtained through ebay. Dealers can't condemn ebay then use it to buy stock, lets
be honest here, dealers bought in films very cheap then sold dear, fair enough to them turning a coin, but not good news for someone
selling their prints for silly money to them, thus ebay now has set a level playing field, all can participate. Just take account of all the dealers that have gone west, they aren't really missed today, the films still appear, except it is the ebay seller that is putting them up for sale.
I'm not having a go at the film dealers, but they have had a good ride for a long time. I mentioned once before when in conversation with a couple of elderly collectors who said that Derann especially were miserly on their offers for the guys films. So in summing up,
the collector selling his films is entitled to the best possible return, ebay is the way.

Hugh Thompson Scott
Last edited Thu Nov 19, 2015 2:13 pm | Top

#16 by Paul Browning , Thu Nov 19, 2015 3:47 pm

I guess this is a hot topic so here's my ten cents worth. I have noticed that there is an increase in films for sale on Ebay around the time of the Blackpool event, and especially
those more desirable to collectors ( we all have our wanted list), now I am just referring to super 8 films here because it appears obvious by prices asked and paid that a super 8mm
feature and an equivalent 16mm feature of the same title are a universe away. I contacted Phil at CHC about the possibility of the new bond feature "the spy who loved me" and
does he have any copies going to the Blackpool show, no was the reply but in the new year contact me, so I enquired what was the problem in the delay, amongst other things " we have had to build a
stripping machine was one of them, I didn't expect that answer. The conversation turned to availability of features on super 8 and how many he had sold, one particular Star wars feature they had been asked by collectors for, he never sold one copy, not one. He commented that he had a copy of a film on his shelf in the shop that was cheaper new than that advertised on
ebay second hand by £20.00. He was frustrated and saddened in equal portions of stuff written on the forums that just aren't accurate, so he has stopped replying now. How sad to
hear this, from CHC. I was not surprised by what I heard, I would have loved a first copy of that new bond film. Ebay is what it is, and sometimes you get lucky sometimes not, sadly
I would like to buy more stuff from the dealers, but as already stated the films just don't come there way at the right price or at all. It's very much up to the individual to decide
what you want to pay for a film and stick with it, anyone for Aliens again ?.

Paul Browning  
Paul Browning
Date registered 09.13.2015
ThankYou 181

#17 by Hugh Thompson Scott ( deleted ) , Thu Nov 19, 2015 5:28 pm

Well to me, everyone wants everything all ways, Tom wants to sell film on ebay, but not to dealers, wants us to use dealers
more and eschew ebay, there's an anomaly there surely. As for films appearing near the Blackpool event, there are many no
doubt who have never heard of a Blackpool convention and just need funds for Christmas, even the organiser of the event uses
ebay to sell stuff at this time.

Hugh Thompson Scott

#18 by Tom Photiou , Thu Nov 19, 2015 6:32 pm

Thats all very true Hugh, i certainly admit to having a double standard there,
The problem is with human nature is simply when we want to sell something we will use one source, (cant imagine any dealer paying £1500 for a copy of Aliens), but as you rightly say, i am the one who has said do you use dealers to buy from. If they dont get decent collections in they wont have anything to sell.
It's for this reason why i say unfortunately ebay will accelerate the closure of dealers. I suspect most,(not all),collections that dealers obtain now are sadly from departed fellow collectors. Although i am sure that you all know that most dealers do use ebay if they get a top title to sell rather than put it on there list. I've seen this dozens of times, money talks.
When ebay first came about i was 100% dead against it, in fact i sold many films back to Derann once and got literally peanuts for them as i am sure many other collectors did.

Tom Photiou
ThankYou 548

#19 by Hugh Thompson Scott ( deleted ) , Thu Nov 19, 2015 6:35 pm

As an afterword, before we start the "hearts 'n flowers" for Derann and dealers long gone, that company had a struggle selling its prints
and had to give discounts on would be purchasers, so imagine what the prices for their features would be now IF they still in business
today. The time to support them has gone. It's a sad fact of life, but everything has it's time, the dealers we still have are very fortunate to still be here as we are to have them, but the halcyon days are well behind us. Therefore we have to look at what is available and make the best of it.

Hugh Thompson Scott

#20 by Andrew Woodcock ( deleted ) , Thu Nov 19, 2015 10:02 pm

I'd be interested in understanding just what comments made Phil unhappy from the forum posts.

Most I've ever read, place CHC in a very good light???

Andrew Woodcock
Last edited Thu Nov 19, 2015 10:03 pm | Top

#21 by Gwyn Morgan , Thu Nov 19, 2015 10:10 pm

Wow seems like I started something here........Aliens is out there on 8mm for£600 plus not bad I suppose if you have that kind of money,sorry but I have not.📽

Gwyn Morgan
ThankYou 273

#22 by David Hardy ( deleted ) , Thu Nov 19, 2015 10:26 pm

Some very accurate and valid points raised here guys.
So it may be a case for me that its DEALERS for buying from and EBAY for selling to in the future for the best possible
collectors prices available. My my my what a state of affairs. hahahahaha !!!

David Hardy

#23 by Andrew Woodcock ( deleted ) , Thu Nov 19, 2015 10:51 pm

There is a reason though David, why it's e bay that gets the prices that it does, and that is of course, because the titles that are often featured are some of the most popular and sought after.

Selling films on e bay to buy later from the "average" dealer list, is just like selling a few diamonds to end up with a barrow load of tin.

Andrew Woodcock
Last edited Thu Nov 19, 2015 10:52 pm | Top

#24 by Tom Photiou , Thu Nov 19, 2015 11:17 pm

Not if your choosy though.ive sold off generally shorts and prints which are turning and bought some gems. The feature of revenge and its mint with no fade. A night to remember full feature a superb print of new york new york with no fade.this one was off ebay for a tenner some beatles films and the digital projector from mr todd. A pretty good haul from a very few film sales me thinks. And i certainly havnt sold any of my diamonds

Tom Photiou
ThankYou 548

Last edited 11.19.2015 | Top

#25 by David Hardy ( deleted ) , Thu Nov 19, 2015 11:22 pm

I agree with you there Andrew that some of the Ebay titles for sale are some of the most popular and sought after.
However this fact does not for me justify the ludicrous over the top prices for lets be honest here an inferior product
quality wise when compared with say the same title on the "unmentionables."
Granted a lot of prints can be very good to excellent but not consistently so from copy to copy.
Still I suppose you pay your money and make your choice.

David Hardy

Sidney Powell responds after Trump campaign says she is not part of legal team:
BLACKPOOL.

disconnected Reel-Chat Members online 1
Xobor Create your own Forum with Xobor