RE: Has E bay gone mad....or is this the norm

#26 by Andrew Woodcock ( deleted ) , Fri Nov 20, 2015 12:44 am

Tom makes great use of his argument with this one. He has used the money he has managed to raise, very wisely indeed. Revenge, is a great film still with excellent colour.

David, again you are so correct. No two prints are ever the same and therefore just because you happen to stumble upon a title you've searched and age for, doesn't necessarily mean it will live up to expectations.

It's purely a gamble, just like many things in life.

If you want perfect, print off the Mona Lisa copy on your pc for near free.
If you want the original, it probably won't be perfect and will most definitely cost you a bloody fortune, but at least it's the real deal!!

Andrew Woodcock
Last edited Sat Nov 21, 2015 9:08 am | Top

#27 by Hugh Thompson Scott ( deleted ) , Fri Nov 20, 2015 1:08 am

If you want prints of rare titles, be prepared to pay for them, that message comes from the dealers too, they use ebay to search out
the big bucks, it isn't a bad thing then, only if someone else is selling a rare print, then ebay is evil, or am I reading this wrong?
Ebay is what it always was.... an auction, you place your bid, someone outbids you, it is then up to you if you put in another, simple,
the chance is still there for you to win, when you are resigned to a list, it is a lottery, the first to see it gets his film, everyone else loses
out, only one print, only one chance, ebay gives everyone a fair chance, I know what I'd rather have.

Hugh Thompson Scott

#28 by Tom Photiou , Fri Nov 20, 2015 11:53 am

Exactly david and when it all goes stupid thats when i will cash in me chips and move onto pastures new.

Tom Photiou
Date registered 08.14.2015
home: Plymouth. UK
ThankYou 548

#29 by Andrew Woodcock ( deleted ) , Fri Nov 20, 2015 12:01 pm

Once a cine man, always a cine man Tom. First and foremost, never forget that one!

I only wish I hadn't sold all what I had first time around in the hobby now!
I would only ever sell my most prized prints if I am absolutely on my backside and I only hope I am never in that terrible situation.

It's been hard enough to get the prints I've wanted this time around, I'd say it would be nigh on impossible if I were having to do this anytime again in the future!!

Andrew Woodcock
Last edited Fri Nov 20, 2015 4:21 pm | Top

#30 by Tom Photiou , Fri Nov 20, 2015 1:43 pm

Oh yes, i am a cine man through and through, i would have to be very desperate to sell my collection , its been a pretty good year for me cine wise, now i have joined the ranks of running you know what along side of my cine i will now slow down the super 8 buying processes unless its something i really really want.
Hugh said earlier that ebay is a god send & now many years later i do have to agree, as well as selling i have bought a few gems myself. you do take a chance of course but then, in the past i have been bitten from dealers, as well,(not in recent years i will hasten to add). I will continue to sell of bits n pieces we either no longer want are duplicated between our collections or where i see a bit of red it will have to go. Once that starts it will only get worse and i for one cant watch a red movie. I know some collectors can but i am not one of them.

Tom Photiou
ThankYou 548

#31 by Andrew Woodcock ( deleted ) , Fri Nov 20, 2015 3:30 pm

I have quite a few none low fade prints at various stages of colour fade.
Some titles, dependent on level and also the type of fading, I really don't mind at all, others I don't like...especially if they are beetroot red!

The ones that fade towards Brown or sepia seem to suit my preferences better.
Obviously low fade prints are the ones we all most treasure.

Andrew Woodcock
Last edited Fri Nov 20, 2015 3:32 pm | Top

#32 by Andrew Woodcock ( deleted ) , Sat Nov 21, 2015 9:26 am

Going back to Hugh's excellent points raised regarding the fairness of the auction bidding system, there is of course two ways of looking at this.

For me to be able to make my point understood, I think you will first have to cast your mind back to the 70's children's classic , "Charlie & The Chocolate Factory".

Now as you recall, there are a lot of greedy and wealthy parented brats in that film, that ordinarily in life, would pretty much get whatever they desire in life one way or another. (Don't we all just know at least one or two of these annoying creatures!)

In Charlies case, raised in a very poor family, he doesn't ordinarily stand a cat in hells chance of winning that Golden Ticket over and above the completely unfair competition buying every chocolate bar they can possibly get their hands on.
In Charlies case, he has to solely rely on just the one ticket that the entire family put together for, or failing that, a minor miracle as indeed turns out to be the case for him.

So consider this analogy to the very same theory of fairness when attached to an auction site such as e bay.
Does the film very often go to the person who would cherish it or desire it and value it the most? Or does it simply go to the person who wants these items, but more importantly, also has the fattest wallet from within the pursuing pack?

Well of course we all know what the answer is to both of those questions and from this angle, does a slightly less well off individual who loves the hobby, but is by no means the wealthiest, ever really get to sample the "creme de la creme"?

Just as with all else in life, I think not sadly!

Maybe some dealer should issue us all for a few quid each, Golden Film Tickets, with of course a sensible limit allocated to each individual.... Find the actual "Golden" one and no matter what your financial status, you could be the proud owner of a top shelf "as new" unbelievably expensive print of say "Star Wars" or "E.T." for example!!
Now there is one very nice pipe dream for me to sleep upon today!!

Clyde Miles likes this
Andrew Woodcock
Last edited Sat Nov 21, 2015 9:37 am | Top

#33 by Hugh Thompson Scott ( deleted ) , Sat Nov 21, 2015 10:47 am

Nice analogy Andrew and very amusing, "The parable of the Rich Bastards", but it isn't so with me, I suppose I have an element
of luck or just madness, getting up at some ungodly hour to place a bid. I remember though when Derann and many others, posted
out their lists, some people received their mail a lot earlier than others, plus the vagaries of the 2nd class post, meant it cold be days
after you received yours. Therefore, the people who could get their post early or even "pop in" at the sellers premises and pick up their
film of choice, which the would be purchaser living in the back woods or overseas couldn't do, that was the unfair advantage of which
I speak, therefore ebay is a far more fair way of getting your film of choice, I suspect it is the "early birds" that don't like it now, but it
is something I myself had to get used to. As I said, I have many purchases that I would never have been able to make had I relied solely on dealers lists, apart from titles I've never seen on lists, and that includes "The Big Reel".

Hugh Thompson Scott
Last edited Sat Nov 21, 2015 10:52 am | Top

#34 by David Ollerearnshaw , Sat Nov 21, 2015 1:27 pm

The way I bid is just enter my maximum amount, then remove from watched list. Sometimes they appear in the purchases or mostly I missed them. Doing it this way I keep to my budget.

I still love the smell of film in the morning

David Ollerearnshaw
Date registered 08.13.2015
home: Sheffield UK
ThankYou 61

#35 by David Hardy ( deleted ) , Sat Nov 21, 2015 1:34 pm

Andrew I can remember getting the latest Derann list early in the morning before the shop was open on the Monday
morning. I was the first caller but the print had already been sold. This had me baffled and has done ever since.

David Hardy

#36 by Hugh Thompson Scott ( deleted ) , Sat Nov 21, 2015 2:48 pm

That's an easy one David, someone has given sight of the list to someone before it was put out, seems fair to me I don't
think, that's another reason ebay is more fair to purchasers, no favouritism.

Hugh Thompson Scott

#37 by Hugh Thompson Scott ( deleted ) , Sun Nov 22, 2015 3:28 am

I can see where the argument against ebay is coming from, believe me I would not be bidding on the Star Wars stuff or related,
my taste is off mainstream, tending towards the off ball, thank God, For example, "The Big Silence", a Corbucci Italian Western
on ebay, I had to take on half of friggin' Germany to bag that one, shades of WW2, it was the cast list that gave it away, "And Corpses
Paved His Way" was no help. Likewise with many others, its knowing what you want and being there at four o'clock in the morning or
whatever bloody time dictates, I suppose that is part of the pleasure, I hold our dealers in very high regard, the hobby is definitely in
serious condition if they pack in, but my taste is not catered for on their lists sadly, when did you EVER see a Barbara Steele film
on 16mm on anybody's list, answer NEVER. I have been picking up stuff like this on the dreaded ebay, that's why I think it is a friend to
be embraced, not an enemy, our own David Hardy picked up a film he loved recently, well done him, I too had the chance, but it
was not that much loved by me at the price, thus our mate got himself his film, that could never happen on a film list, unless he had
very good early post, an insider to help or bloody good luck.

Hugh Thompson Scott
Last edited Sun Nov 22, 2015 3:30 am | Top

#38 by Andrew Woodcock ( deleted ) , Sun Nov 22, 2015 8:17 am

Wenn Sie hier auf Links zu eBay klicken und einen Kauf tätigen, kann dies dazu führen, dass diese Website eine Provision erhält.

So I'm guessing you won't be trying your hand with this beauty then Hugh!

Werbung: http://www.ebay.com/itm/16mm-Sound-Color...000%26algo%3DAB

The following contents have been linked to this post::

Andrew Woodcock
Last edited Sun Nov 22, 2015 8:18 am | Top

#39 by Tom Photiou , Sun Nov 22, 2015 10:56 am

Hugh, you missed out there chief

Tom Photiou
ThankYou 548

#40 by Hugh Thompson Scott ( deleted ) , Sun Nov 22, 2015 11:32 am

Tom, I hate Walt Disney cartoons, I never liked them as a kid, always preferring Bugs Bunny etc., no I'm afraid any of those overpriced
epics have no magic for me, feel free to bid.

Hugh Thompson Scott
Last edited Sun Nov 22, 2015 11:32 am | Top

#41 by Andrew Woodcock ( deleted ) , Sun Nov 22, 2015 12:03 pm

??????????

Not understanding that reply I'm afraid Hugh, from what was posted for you above.

Andrew Woodcock

#42 by Hugh Thompson Scott ( deleted ) , Sun Nov 22, 2015 1:02 pm

Sorry Andrew, my mistake, I thought Tom was referring to the high priced Disney's that were on ebay, as I didn't
click the link, Well Star Wars is just as bad if not worse, I already have a print of it, but I am sick to death of hearing
about it and the idiots willing to pay stupid money on something that is just a bit overrated.

Hugh Thompson Scott

#43 by Andrew Woodcock ( deleted ) , Sun Nov 22, 2015 1:09 pm

You're welcome to pass on any print you don't enjoy Hugh whenever you like!

Andrew Woodcock
Last edited Sun Nov 22, 2015 1:11 pm | Top

#44 by David Hardy ( deleted ) , Sun Nov 22, 2015 1:24 pm

Hugh I am with you on that one as regards off the mainstream in film taste.
I have never thought much of the Disney features even as a kid. I found them to gooey and gushing with sentimentality.
The animation though is excellent from an aesthetic point of view. However I do like SOME of the Disney short cartoons
such as the Silly Symphonies and some others.
So I have never felt the urge to buy any of the Disney features on FILM. I do have some of them on the shiny discs
for my grandchild though.
Yep give me a good Tex Avery MGM cartoon or Bugs and his pals via Warner Bros anytime.

David Hardy

#45 by Andrew Woodcock ( deleted ) , Sun Nov 22, 2015 7:16 pm

They're not all full of mush and moralistic sentimental claptrap though David.
I actually thought you would enjoy some of the classics like for example Jungle Book with its phenomenal score and humour?

Obviously I'm extremely biased, so to be fair, I will always look to defend "Sir Walt's " masterpieces from scathing remarks! Ha ha ha

These in my opinion, are some of the few Super 8mm prints that actually surpass the quality of the image on their DVD (but not B.R.) counterparts if you find well preserved prints, given the quality and source of the negatives.

Andrew Woodcock
Last edited Sun Nov 22, 2015 7:23 pm | Top

#46 by Paul Browning , Sun Nov 22, 2015 7:32 pm

Mary Poppins just sold for nearly £400.00 on flea bay, not the stereo version but still a good price for super 8 print. I'm not a big fan of the Disney stuff, but in this case
it can show just how good the super 8 print looks when the source material is the best you can get. The add men never missed an opportunity to advertise there product by whatever
means was available, Derann was just another "revenue stream" in todays bull **** talk.

Paul Browning  
Paul Browning
Date registered 09.13.2015
ThankYou 181

#47 by Andrew Woodcock ( deleted ) , Sun Nov 22, 2015 7:37 pm

Worth every penny Paul! A stunning print (if well preserved! )
It scores a ten on every count in my book, sharpness, contrast, colour, soundtrack and of course ....entertainment value!

Ps: No stripe issues on any of these prints. They were all made using laminated pre stripe stock when first printed so no problem at all recording these in Stereo if not already. The outcome would, almost certainly surpass any original stereo track using today's digital sources.

Andrew Woodcock
Last edited Sun Nov 22, 2015 11:24 pm | Top

#48 by Paul Browning , Sun Nov 22, 2015 7:42 pm

He sent me a few pictures of the print, it looked damn good to me too, some one got a very nice print there, it looked like Agfa stock to me, did not look blue, very balanced
looking print.

Paul Browning  
Paul Browning
ThankYou 181

#49 by Andrew Woodcock ( deleted ) , Sun Nov 22, 2015 7:46 pm

Yes it is Agfa,superb colour Paul. He hadn't watched any through for years though and wasn't prepared to do so at a late stage so I was very nervous with any these even though I already had them all.

No guarantees and no returns accepted was the message I received, so I soon lost any interest in them as back up prints for the ones I have already.

Andrew Woodcock
Last edited Sun Nov 22, 2015 7:57 pm | Top

#50 by Paul Browning , Sun Nov 22, 2015 7:57 pm

He was using a bell & howell dct projector, this was the same machine Derann used I think to check there prints and is kind to film, no lines on the screen shots I got from him,
he seemed very helpful and friendly, no evasive answer like some I have delt with.

Paul Browning  
Paul Browning
ThankYou 181

Sidney Powell responds after Trump campaign says she is not part of legal team:
BLACKPOOL.

disconnected Reel-Chat Members online 0
Xobor Create your own Forum with Xobor