Stereo Sound.

#1 by David Hardy ( deleted ) , Tue Nov 10, 2015 11:07 am

How important is " Stereo Sound " on film to you ?
I don't really care for it much as its the film image quality and of course the narrative that counts.
Therefore I am more than happy with Mono sound or " no sound " at all as I love Silent films too.

David Hardy

RE: Stereo Sound.

#2 by Andrew Woodcock ( deleted ) , Tue Nov 10, 2015 11:39 am

It is important to me on the modern day films and most of the Disney feature films but perhaps for different reasons than "Stereo" as a tag typically suggests.

It is not so much for effects zooming from left to right to match the actions up on the silver screen. Nor is it particularly important to me to even hear separation in a sound track "per-se" with film as with music.

No, it's for none of these reasons why I much much prefer my films that ought to be in stereo, to actually be in stereo.
It's because, what you gain by having two separate tracks and amplifiers outputting to two separate loudspeakers near to the corners of our silver screens, is a very important aspect of sound known as PRESENCE.

What this brings to the soundstage is a warmth and depth to the track that is otherwise missing by having a monoaural track or even by having the amalgamation of track one merged with track two.

It is a flat track and sounds like what it is... flat.

Just flick the switch on a decent Stereo recorded print from mono to stereo and the difference and improvements are crystal clear for all to hear!

It's the very same reason as to why, no matter how bad your singing voice is, it will always sound better in the bathroom than it ever could in a wide open space with no walls to bounce off.That is of course...unless you're Julie Andrews ha ha ha

Andrew Woodcock
Last edited Tue Nov 10, 2015 5:06 pm | Top

#3 by David Hardy ( deleted ) , Thu Nov 12, 2015 11:02 pm

Thanks Andrew.
Not much response on this topic from other members so far. Hmmm !!!

David Hardy

#4 by Vidar Olavesen , Thu Nov 12, 2015 11:23 pm

To me, it adds a dimension. But, I have no problem with mono. My receiver has Dolby Pro Logic II and therefore puts out surround sound if the soundtrack is coded that way. Raiders of the Lost Ark sounds quite good in surround. For me, not a needed, but a bonus

Vidar Olavesen
Date registered 08.02.2015
home: Sarpsborg, Norway
ThankYou 344

#5 by Andrew Woodcock ( deleted ) , Fri Nov 13, 2015 2:02 am

Vidar raises an excellent point there!

I must confess, I stopped using any of my modern day home cinema equipment some time ago with my cine projectors.

I found it really wasn't conducive at all with all with the delicate nature of today's electronics and modern day speaker Systems, simply because the frequency range and amplitude of certain analogue signals can cause absolute havoc with post 80's hi fi equipment.

Nowadays I generally use two separate bookshelf purpose built "cine" designed speakers like the Bauer ones I have for most screenings directly connected to the projectors amplifier, for a bigger show, I use an 80's JVC amplifier c/w another older set of bookshelf speakers so as to give four in total by slaving out in stereo via the 5 pin din output socket always featured on European models.

Andrew Woodcock

#6 by David Hardy ( deleted ) , Fri Nov 13, 2015 10:56 am

You can get superb results by using vintage valve pre-amps / amps such as QUAD 22 / QUAD II s via Horn loud speakers.
It gives a very "authentic" cinema sound in Mono and Stereo.

David Hardy

#7 by Andrew Woodcock ( deleted ) , Fri Nov 13, 2015 12:18 pm

I am certain it would David using vintage high end 80's audio amplifiers and speakers of that quality!

Andrew Woodcock
Last edited Fri Nov 13, 2015 12:49 pm | Top

Sidney Powell responds after Trump campaign says she is not part of legal team:
Finally got a permament projector screen

disconnected Reel-Chat Members online 0
Xobor Create your own Forum with Xobor