Every film lover should read this

#1 by Robert Crewdson ( deleted ) , Wed Oct 28, 2015 5:48 pm

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/film/what-to-...ntin-tarantino/
Interesting in that it costs more to store a digital copy, and it has a short life.

Mats Abelli likes this
Robert Crewdson
Last edited Wed Oct 28, 2015 5:51 pm | Top

RE: Every film lover should read this

#2 by Tom Photiou , Wed Oct 28, 2015 8:29 pm

This is the thing isn't it' Film is a proven medium, digital is still very new and is usually out of date by the time it hits the market,
Super 8mm/16mm, going since Christ knows when,
In the late since the late 70s early 80s we have had,
VHS, Betamax, DVD, DVDHD, Blu-ray and now they want you to upgrade to 4K, then it will be 10k which the Japanese have already a prototype.
I will run digtal side by side but it certainly is no replacement, it is cheap and is great quality but its just constantly changing.

Tom Photiou
Date registered 08.14.2015
home: Plymouth. UK
ThankYou 548

#3 by Robert Crewdson ( deleted ) , Wed Oct 28, 2015 8:55 pm

Yes Tom, technology is soon out of date. after reading the article I am wondering why they are even storing digital if it has such a short shelf life, plus the high cost. They may regret their decision to scrap all those projectors.

Robert Crewdson

#4 by Vidar Olavesen , Wed Oct 28, 2015 9:09 pm

Good article. Thanks for posting. Might still be a dream, but I won't let go of it until Tarantino, Nolan and the rest of the film enthusiastics give up.

Vidar Olavesen
Date registered 08.02.2015
home: Sarpsborg, Norway
ThankYou 348

#5 by Hugh Thompson Scott ( deleted ) , Wed Oct 28, 2015 9:21 pm

It is a tragedy that all those people were discarded, let alone the technology, cinemas employed a lot of important folk, not withstanding the humble projectionist, the guy who made it all possible, as we all well know, being of the amateur sort.
Digital is not an enemy, we use it to record our favourite TV shows, personal recordings and buying movies that are not available
on the bootlace or 16mm ( not forgetting the lucky souls that have 35mm ) I didn't know that film has more receptors for colour than Digital, marvellous. I applaud the various Directors championing the film cause, but the battle is lost, too late, how many top flight
projectors have been junked, remember not only the skills of using this stuff, but the people that made and maintained them are
now either unemployed or doing something else, people are always more important than techno to me. I can't see a return to film,
folk like Adrian Winchester are to be applauded in trying to keep cinemas alive by showing film, but it is the Distributors that call
the shots, unfortunately.

Hugh Thompson Scott
Last edited Wed Oct 28, 2015 9:22 pm | Top

#6 by Tom Photiou , Wed Oct 28, 2015 9:40 pm

Thats all spot on Hugh,
digital is instant and extremely cheap,(compared to film), and is unfortunately the way Hollywood will make even more millions, no more delivering films to thousands of cinemas around the world, film can be shown spontaneously throughout the world via satellite and digital cinemas. What a bummer
We must all continue to keep cine going, film shows for kids and homes etc even schools. Funny how our films command so much money though dont you think? When CD's came out it made vinyl almost worthless over night yet despite everything our films,as the moment, are appearing to go up in value. It's also nice to see vinyl making a big comeback.

Tom Photiou
Date registered 08.14.2015
home: Plymouth. UK
ThankYou 548

#7 by Hugh Thompson Scott ( deleted ) , Wed Oct 28, 2015 10:48 pm

I as an amateur, as are we all. at showing film, but people do like projected film, the lads at work certainly did, but a lot
of the film was not Disney, if you know what I mean, I've shown film to kids while "child minding", "Birthday Parties", done public shows
shows,and in the home for mates, the thing that all this has in common is that people like to watch film together, a primeval thing that might
come from our ancestors or the council estate where I Iived.......? primordial, sharing a shadow show, who the hell knows, we like it, so do our
audiences, so to hell with the digimob.

Hugh Thompson Scott
Last edited Wed Oct 28, 2015 10:52 pm | Top

#8 by Hugh Thompson Scott ( deleted ) , Wed Oct 28, 2015 11:58 pm

Yes, a new term , The DIGIMOB, I like that.

Hugh Thompson Scott

Sidney Powell responds after Trump campaign says she is not part of legal team:
print history

disconnected Reel-Chat Members online 0
Xobor Create your own Forum with Xobor