Paul McCartney owned a super 8 camera?

#1 by Paul Browning , Sun Oct 25, 2015 1:33 pm

On BBC 4 last night they showed some footage and the outtakes from there 1967 film "magical mystery tour" with interviews with Paul, Ringo and George Harrison. In an
interview with Paul he stated that he had a super 8 camera and would shoot many rolls of film just for a bit of fun at where ever he was at the time. He said he found
a camera that could rewind the film and run it through the camera twice to give odd effects, now my thoughts were, did we have super 8 in 1967 ?, and if so were there
many camera's that could rewind the film to run through twice. I have seen the film a few times, and to me any way it has the look of 8mm home movies all stuck
together in parts, was the inspiration to the film his super 8 camera and not just the LSD that was around at the time.

Vidar Olavesen likes this
Paul Browning  
Paul Browning
Date registered 09.13.2015
ThankYou 181

RE: Paul McCartney owned a super 8 camera?

#2 by Hugh Thompson Scott ( deleted ) , Sun Oct 25, 2015 2:15 pm

Hi Paul, s/8 came out in '65 I believe, I found his statement of being able to find a camera that offered rewind odd, the very nature of the cartridge made this act impossible, there were little gizmo's that could offer partial rewind for a superimposed title or dissolve, but
they were limited, unless he was confusing it with single 8, which was a far better cartridge and offered unlimited rewind, somehow I
think std 8mm would have presented a problem to them, but maybe they didn't use the turn over, they were pop stars after all with money to burn.

Hugh Thompson Scott

#3 by Robert Crewdson ( deleted ) , Sun Oct 25, 2015 2:31 pm

The Craven Super 8 rewinder had limit of about 30 seconds.

Robert Crewdson

#4 by Paul Browning , Sun Oct 25, 2015 3:24 pm

Thanks Hugh, Robert, I just though t it could be an early 8mm camera and not super 8, but I didn't know super 8 was as early as 65, just imagine some the footage he will have
shot at the time in and around the fab 4, what would that fetch on Ebay ?.

Paul Browning  
Paul Browning
ThankYou 181

#5 by Steve Carter ( deleted ) , Sun Oct 25, 2015 3:31 pm

The footage in India was shot by Paul and Mal Evans, I think a lot was discovered when Mal died in the mid 70's, I'm sure there was a documentary about this.

The following members like this: Vidar Olavesen and Paul Browning
Steve Carter

#6 by Paul Browning , Sun Oct 25, 2015 4:05 pm

Thanks for that Steve, I wonder what camera it was, as money wasn't really a factor, maybe a beaulieu or Bolex, I guess he chose it for convenience to get it processed easily
where ever he was, can you imagine him going into boots on the high street and saying " just some home movies love" .

Paul Browning  
Paul Browning
ThankYou 181

#7 by Robert Crewdson ( deleted ) , Sun Oct 25, 2015 4:12 pm

I used to hate using Ektachrome, apart from the poor colour and grainy picture, it took several weeks to get it processed where I used to go.

Robert Crewdson

#8 by Steve Carter ( deleted ) , Sun Oct 25, 2015 4:39 pm

Well he was still, with Jane Asher at that time, I have a lot of Beatles things myself, Mal was their long time road manager, Mystery Tour was shot in 16mm if I'm correct. Those 8mm home movies were big news at the time, when they were discovered years after Mal's death, never before seen footage, just like Noel Readings 8mm diary of the Hendrix tours. There was another American drummer who used to film everything, he also shot 8mm film of the Beatles and Sandie Shaw on a French tour I forget which band he was playing with at the time.

Steve Carter

#9 by David Ollerearnshaw , Sun Oct 25, 2015 5:23 pm

Didn't Elmo/Ilford at the time have a camera that could use both standard and super 8. C100 or C300 I think. I also think it could use double super 8 too.

I still love the smell of film in the morning

David Ollerearnshaw
Date registered 08.13.2015
home: Sheffield UK
ThankYou 61

#10 by Robert Crewdson ( deleted ) , Sun Oct 25, 2015 6:33 pm

I think you are right David, I read it elsewhere, it was Ilford I believe, sounded like a super duper camera, but wasn't available for long. Saw a picture of it as well.

Robert Crewdson

#11 by Hugh Thompson Scott ( deleted ) , Sun Oct 25, 2015 6:54 pm

I think it was as common as owning a normal camera then Robert, all the film stars have home movies, Sir John Mills was an avid film
maker and had quite a collection that he put in the hands of John Wright of "Movie Maker" fame, to edit for him, films of his daughters
growing up. Sellers, Bentine, Milligan all had cine cameras, even one of the band, "The Police", Andy Summers I think it was, who was also a keen super eighter. just look at all the various makes of cine film that were available just in the UK, you'd be stuck for choice.

Hugh Thompson Scott
Last edited Sun Oct 25, 2015 6:54 pm | Top

#12 by Steve Carter ( deleted ) , Sun Oct 25, 2015 7:11 pm

Stewart Copeland the drummer used super 8, he can be seen in some of there music video's using it. at 3.15 onwards you can see the camera
The Police

Steve Carter
Last edited Sun Oct 25, 2015 7:22 pm | Top

#13 by David Ollerearnshaw , Sun Oct 25, 2015 7:36 pm

Honeywell (USA) Ilford (UK) Elmo Movie Camera Double Super 8 Tri-Filmatic
C300

I still love the smell of film in the morning

David Ollerearnshaw
Date registered 08.13.2015
home: Sheffield UK
ThankYou 61

Sidney Powell responds after Trump campaign says she is not part of legal team:
Checking Out.

disconnected Reel-Chat Members online 0
Xobor Create your own Forum with Xobor