Besides Film,what other hobbies do you enjoy?

#1 by Douglas Warren ( deleted ) , Wed Oct 21, 2015 6:13 pm

Per the subject title,besides film collecting what other hobbies do members here enjoy? My main hobby is building military miniatures (aircraft in particular.) I also enjoy playing music (I play a bit of guitar,bass & piano.) My musical pursuits are on a hobby level for my own amusement.I dare not torture anyone else's ears with my attempts at playing or risk a visit from Amnesty International.

Douglas Warren

RE: Besides Film,what other hobbies do you enjoy?

#2 by Hugh Thompson Scott ( deleted ) , Wed Oct 21, 2015 6:52 pm

A talented lad and no mistake. Myself, I used to play bass guitar, just for fun, I do a fair bit of reading, have a fair sized library of
books on film etc, which can be expensive for the rarer volumes. I used to go to the library before they turned them into cafes
and creches, bloody kids. Computers have taken over there too. Do a bit of gardening which I'm not keen on plus building which I'm not keen on either, I like to take life easy, if I can.

Hugh Thompson Scott

#3 by Douglas Warren ( deleted ) , Wed Oct 21, 2015 7:07 pm

I read a fair amount as well.mostly non-fiction. I like military history & a big biography fan. So a bass fan as well Hugh? I was happy to finally see the great.late Chris Squire with Yes back in 2013. My interest in music (especially progressive rock) started in the early 1970's when my older brother received me a Emerson,Lake & Palmer LP (Trilogy) as part of a record club membership (remember record clubs?) Got me hooked and been a prog rocker fan ever since.

Douglas Warren

#4 by Vidar Olavesen , Wed Oct 21, 2015 7:15 pm

Hmmm ... Not so much, but I do love my Liverpool games (only been to Anfield twice sadly) ...

Also have a love for the lovely Atari 8-bit computers

Retro is great, nowadays there's no substance to anything.

Vidar Olavesen
Date registered 08.02.2015
home: Sarpsborg, Norway
ThankYou 348

Last edited 10.21.2015 | Top

#5 by Douglas Warren ( deleted ) , Wed Oct 21, 2015 7:21 pm

Love the old computers Vidar! My first one was a Texas Instruments TI-99 4 A. From there I wound up with a Tandy Color Computer 3. The wife and I have many computers about the house as she works in IT and works from home (thus the spare bedroom became her home office.)

Douglas Warren

#6 by Vidar Olavesen , Wed Oct 21, 2015 7:23 pm

I used to have a couple of TI's myself. I had about 300 to 400 different consoles, hand helds and machines. About 5000 games, but since my eyesight got worse, I couldn't use them much. Still kept my Atari's, I promised myself never to sell again (did it in 1985) ... Same with films, will never sell to get out of collecting films

Vidar Olavesen
ThankYou 348

#7 by Tom Photiou , Wed Oct 21, 2015 10:27 pm

I ENJOY A BIT OF MODEL MAKING, I ALSO HAVE A VAST N GAUGE MODEL RAILWAY, sorry about the caps there, i have had unreal amounts of the railway now for well over 20 years but believe it or not have never found the time to actually build it in any form.

Tom Photiou
Date registered 08.14.2015
home: Plymouth. UK
ThankYou 548

#8 by Andrew Woodcock ( deleted ) , Thu Oct 22, 2015 10:02 am

As most probably already know, Manchester City, Popular Music of all genres from at least 6 generations and other than that...my lifetimes work, fixing things!

From cars to washing machines, and Vacuum cleaners to boilers and projectors, if it's got moving parts in it, I always end up copping for it in our house!

Andrew Woodcock
Last edited Thu Oct 22, 2015 10:03 am | Top

#9 by Barry Attwood ( deleted ) , Thu Oct 22, 2015 10:22 am

I don't have much time to myself these days, but when I do I like to play Scrabble on my Nintendo DS XL (especially late at night in bed), no two games are alike, and it keeps the old noggin' ticking over.

Tom Photiou likes this
Barry Attwood

#10 by Hugh Thompson Scott ( deleted ) , Thu Oct 22, 2015 10:53 am

We all like a scabble at night in bed Barry, it annoys my better half at times, heh heh.

Hugh Thompson Scott

#11 by Steve Carter ( deleted ) , Thu Oct 22, 2015 11:02 am

Well Music was a big part of life for me Drums, Guitar, Bass, Banjo, writing and recording, also art, was a thing I enjoyed until the tremor set in can't even draw a straight line now,

Vidar Olavesen likes this
Steve Carter

#12 by Hugh Thompson Scott ( deleted ) , Thu Oct 22, 2015 12:08 pm

Excellent work there Steve, Jimi would have loved that.

Hugh Thompson Scott

#13 by David Hardy ( deleted ) , Thu Oct 22, 2015 2:33 pm

My main interests are going to live Classical Music concerts and Opera.
In fact I am going to one tonight " Carmen".
My other interests are Hi-Fi sound equipment and record collecting and the "Arts" in general however like Tom I too have a nice collection
of "N" gauge and also "OO" gauge model railway stuff and a layout still waiting to be built. More electro/mechanical
whirly things.

David Hardy
Last edited Thu Oct 22, 2015 2:33 pm | Top

#14 by David Ollerearnshaw , Thu Oct 22, 2015 7:02 pm

Besides Film,what other hobbies do you enjoy? More film!

I do enjoy the dreaded shiny things, mainly for the extras. I've always had an interest in behind the scenes stuff, also trailers.

Henry, my son and myself are into model railways, in the process of building the baseboards and getting trains.

I love the great outdoors when no one is about peace and quite.

"Here's another nice mess you've gotten me into!"

I still love the smell of film in the morning

David Ollerearnshaw
Date registered 08.13.2015
home: Sheffield UK
ThankYou 61

#15 by Vidar Olavesen , Thu Oct 22, 2015 7:05 pm

Seems a lot of film lovers also loves trains ... CHC has a train section too, doesn't he?

David Ollerearnshaw likes this

Vidar Olavesen
ThankYou 348

#16 by Douglas Warren ( deleted ) , Thu Oct 22, 2015 10:11 pm

Besides this forum I'm active on some plastic modeling ones as well. Being a fan of the old Republic serials I really enjoy the impressive model work done in those films by the talented Lydecker Brothers.Considering the budgets they had to work with they pulled off some really good effects.

Douglas Warren

#17 by Robert Crewdson ( deleted ) , Thu Oct 22, 2015 10:16 pm

I was amazed how some of these B studios, or even Poverty Row studios could produce great special effects as in 'Captain Marvel' and 'Commander Cody'.(Radar Men from the Moon).

Robert Crewdson
Last edited Thu Oct 22, 2015 10:18 pm | Top

#18 by Douglas Warren ( deleted ) , Thu Oct 22, 2015 10:25 pm

Glad to hear you mention those two as they are favorites of mine. The Lydecker Brothers were active into the 1960's and worked with Irwin Allen (Voyage to the Bottom of the Sea) is one example of their later work.

Douglas Warren

#19 by Robert Crewdson ( deleted ) , Thu Oct 22, 2015 10:40 pm

That was one of my favourite shows, used to watch it every week.

Robert Crewdson

#20 by Timothy Duncan ( deleted ) , Sat Oct 24, 2015 7:26 pm

I am a collector of various things from the 1950's through the 1970's. I love to visit antique malls whenever possible. One area of collecting that I have an interest in is the Lesney Matchbox die cast vehicles of the 1960's and 1970's. Most of the ones I own are in their original boxes.

Timothy Duncan

#21 by David Hardy ( deleted ) , Sat Oct 24, 2015 7:34 pm

Timothy
Ah ! The Lesney Matchbox ones. Now that's a good memory for me as I used to buy them with my pocket money
and still have change to by something else. Happy Days !

David Hardy

#22 by Robert Crewdson ( deleted ) , Mon Oct 26, 2015 9:54 pm

My main interests at the moment are collecting and watching my films, and genealogy. I run a genealogy group on Facebook, for those who are advanced in their research, I have been doing this about 30 years. I have other interests but not the time to fit it all in; prior to returning to film, I was collecting antique and out of print books, and used to read every day, but now it's rare for me to get a book out. I am also interested in herbalism, and spiritualism. I tried many years ago to learn the electric guitar, but couldn't get anywhere, even with books like Bert Weedon's 'Play in a Day'. I did have some success in playing the Violin, but I don't have the time to practice. I have a nice 18th century violin with original box wood pegs, plus several antique instruction books. I collected too many things over the years, books, records, coins, and need to downsize, and keep the most important items. My plans for the future are to close my FB account in 3 years time, when I officially retire, and try to live as much as possible without the internet, so I can use my remaining days to the interests I don't have time for now. The Internet is great, but it takes over your life; too many hours are spent online that could be put to better use.

Clyde Miles likes this
Robert Crewdson

#23 by John Guthrie , Fri Oct 30, 2015 2:09 pm

In photography I have 35mm Film & digital lenses range from 12mm to 1000mm, Rollei 6008 medium format camera lenses from 40mm to 250mm, Hasselblad XPII with 45 & 90mm, you already know from my bit on introduce yourself what I have in movie gear. In digital I've got Canon XLH1 full HD, Canon XL2 720p & EX1 Hi8 (currently dead!) with a selection of lenses for all of them.

In England I used to make and show A/V presentations with multiple projectors (up to 12) on an 18ft screen, when I moved to Australia I discovered that my Leitz Pradovits which use straight slide magazines were not widely available here everyone seemed to use Carousels. So I had to get a set of then for the A/V's. I also have a pair of Rollei P66's with dissolve units and a range of lenses. Needless to say their are sets of lenses for each one of the projectors (At the last count there were 35 slide projectors. Trouble in here in Perth no-one is interested in A/V!

I like listening to music and have a full B&O system as well as a Revox one. I also cannot resist reel to reel tape decks I do try and exercise some control and only buy European makes now (Revox, Tandberg, Uher & ASC). I used to use either Denon or Tascam decks with my A/V shows and have still have 9 Tascam's 3 of which are 8 track units, 2 cassette ones and a reel to reel.

I do a lot of reading and am currently trying to do a family tree using Ancestry. I have several computers as well and store a lot of music on them.

I like anything to do with Switzerland (my favourite country) and am especially keen on Swiss railways, would like to have a model railway set but the cost of it is astronomical here $400 for one Loco and around $100 per carriage.

That's about it really, if you want to chat about any of the above get back to me.

John

John Guthrie  
John Guthrie
Date registered 10.24.2015
home: Perth , Western Australia
ThankYou 15

#24 by Eivind Mork , Sat Oct 31, 2015 10:44 am

I am a beekeeper. Usually have between one and three hives. Enough honey to supply my family for as much they want.

I am also a photographer, and especially love macro photography: https://www.flickr.com/photos/eivindmork

I see others mention model trains. My son (8) has loved trains and everything running on rails since he first saw the subway where we live. Now he has a model train, and I help him build the landscape. I really enjoy it even though it mainly is my son's hobby.

Eivind Mork
Date registered 10.12.2015
home: Oslo, Norway
ThankYou 405

#25 by Thomas Allen , Tue Dec 22, 2015 4:51 pm

I enjoy reading science fiction from the 1950's or earlier. I frequent yard sales whenever possible, always looking for the treasures I collect. I enjoy selling on eBay most of the items I find at yard sales that I do not collect. But mostly it is still collecting and watching real films that I enjoy the most.

Thomas Allen  
Thomas Allen
Date registered 09.09.2015

Sidney Powell responds after Trump campaign says she is not part of legal team:
Perry's List?

disconnected Reel-Chat Members online 0
Xobor Create your own Forum with Xobor