Question for ALL Members

#1 by Tom Photiou , Wed Oct 21, 2015 3:49 pm

Not too sure how many members on these forums are actually film collectors, so i ask,
When (NOT what) did you last purchase a super 8 or 16 mm film from a dealer?
I ask this with interest because a lot of people join forums and make comments,(sometimes pointless), but i wonder if ALL forum members actually buy films.

I am NOT talking about people who are buying purely to sell or buy from other collectors but make,& therefore, support purchases from dealers?

Tom Photiou
Date registered 08.14.2015
home: Plymouth. UK
ThankYou 548

Last edited 10.21.2015 | Top

RE: Question for ALL Members

#2 by Vidar Olavesen , Wed Oct 21, 2015 3:51 pm

Ten minutes ago :-)

Ordered three films from CHC. Escape To Victory and a couple of Disney's, not sure if he still have the Disney's though

Vidar Olavesen
Date registered 08.02.2015
home: Sarpsborg, Norway
ThankYou 348

#3 by Robert Crewdson ( deleted ) , Wed Oct 21, 2015 4:06 pm

I bought two 16mm features from Paul Foster not that long ago, I reviewed one on here F.B.I. Girl; I have 3 or 4 others under consideration.

Robert Crewdson

#4 by Andrew Woodcock ( deleted ) , Wed Oct 21, 2015 4:06 pm

I have ordered from them all Tom. Not so much recently, but this is purely due to the lack of product that I am interested in. Otherwise I much prefer to support the dealers rather than e bay and the likes!

Andrew Woodcock

#5 by Robert Crewdson ( deleted ) , Wed Oct 21, 2015 4:08 pm

There are a lot of people joining who never post or comment; can't say that I noticed any pointless comments, and I try to read everything posted.

Robert Crewdson

#6 by Vidar Olavesen , Wed Oct 21, 2015 4:17 pm

Do not scare anyone off, they post when they have something to say, I suppose. No questions should be considered dumb, I know I asked a lot of silly questions myself, but get replies. So ask away, join in conversations if you want. I know I appreciate all new friends loving film

Vidar Olavesen
ThankYou 348

#7 by Tom Photiou , Wed Oct 21, 2015 4:23 pm

Vidar, no questions are daft or Scilly, if you need to know, you got to ask.
Wouldn't want to scare anyone off but i do wonder why anyone would join a forum and not ever post, my curiosity is simply this, today i was talking to a dealer who will remain nameless, and the dealer made an interesting comment about how many names come up on forums but have never either been heard of or ever made a purchase. I think it'l be interesting to see how many people see this.

Tom Photiou
Date registered 08.14.2015
home: Plymouth. UK
ThankYou 548

#8 by Hugh Thompson Scott ( deleted ) , Wed Oct 21, 2015 4:24 pm

Bought a boxful of films from Bert at Super8warehouse and the same from Bdcine in Paris a few week ago, as everyone knows I like Italian westerns and Euro horror. Concerning members lack of involvement, I think its just lethargy, people in this day and age are in the main, lazy, more so than they ever were in the past, put it down to apathy and being bone idle.

Hugh Thompson Scott

#9 by Andrew Woodcock ( deleted ) , Wed Oct 21, 2015 4:26 pm

As well as my own theory which is they like to read but maybe don't like to write. Plus I am certain some just look to see if there is anything they want to buy from them or learn from them.

Andrew Woodcock
Last edited Wed Oct 21, 2015 4:27 pm | Top

#10 by Vidar Olavesen , Wed Oct 21, 2015 4:29 pm

If they want to buy, they should post in For Sale/Trade/Want :-)

Vidar Olavesen
ThankYou 348

#11 by Andrew Woodcock ( deleted ) , Wed Oct 21, 2015 4:31 pm

On the other forum this happens quite frequently. Often the people who either advertise sales or wants never actually contribute to any of the other forum posts.

Andrew Woodcock

#12 by Steve Carter ( deleted ) , Wed Oct 21, 2015 4:35 pm

I don't buy from dealers, because the films I want on eBay end up on dealers list's with a big mark up. I've seen this time and again, so why would I buy something I was bidding on at three times the price or more?. Unless dealers have a sale.

Steve Carter
Last edited Wed Oct 21, 2015 4:36 pm | Top

#13 by Robert Crewdson ( deleted ) , Wed Oct 21, 2015 4:37 pm

There can be other reasons; maybe the dealer is in the UK, and the forum member lives in the U.S.; most people know that I don't add to my Super 8, just 16mm now, so the Super 8 only dealers won't know me either.

Robert Crewdson

#14 by Douglas Warren ( deleted ) , Wed Oct 21, 2015 5:29 pm

The last dealer I purchased from was Bert at Super 8 Warehouse.Living in the USA I've noticed many of the dealers are located overseas. Since that can translate into much higher shipping costs,I tend to purchase more from people selling on eBay here in the States. There's always exceptions to this as I recently purchased a Super-8 digest from a gentleman in Greece who provided very good service and product.

Douglas Warren

#15 by Hugh Thompson Scott ( deleted ) , Wed Oct 21, 2015 5:44 pm

I can well understand postage costs, I've just bought a nice 16mm film from the US, cost £30.00, postage 60.00, I just look at it this way,
if It was from a dealer over here, the price would be a bit more, with postage on top, so its still cheaper importing them.

Hugh Thompson Scott

#16 by Dave Alligan , Wed Oct 21, 2015 5:55 pm

bought one from Independent 8 a few months back

Dave Alligan  
Dave Alligan
Date registered 09.23.2015
home: Felixstowe
ThankYou 11

#17 by Douglas Warren ( deleted ) , Wed Oct 21, 2015 5:57 pm

Good point Hugh and I fully understand it. I bought the 400' digest of "The Flight of the Phoenix" last year from Bert since the 400' version of that title isn't easy to find.Of course shipping prices in general have being going up steadily for some time now.

Douglas Warren

#18 by Douglas Warren ( deleted ) , Wed Oct 21, 2015 6:05 pm

I wanted to add that in general I've been buying fewer films of late. I do have a 1200' 16 mm reel of trailers coming in soon. Maybe I'm just getting more selective with my purchases.

Douglas Warren

#19 by Hugh Thompson Scott ( deleted ) , Wed Oct 21, 2015 6:09 pm

Exactly Douglas, I think USPS has just increased their postal charges, which makes ebays Global shipping more attractive, the
only drawback is the longer wait now involved plus the tracking is way off. I notice P2Go are not as efficient either, they have changed
their set up..... for the worse, tried to send a parcel through them the other week, gave up and sent it through someone else,
I couldn't get an operator, they were experiencing a lot of calls, well I was aging rapidly, so I went elsewhere. They realised Scott had
been there and have sent him a questionnaire to fill in, and they can bet I surely will, I have a lot to say.

Hugh Thompson Scott

#20 by Robert Crewdson ( deleted ) , Wed Oct 21, 2015 6:34 pm

I have used Interparcel more; one time I booked through Parcel2go, and it was never collected, so I wasted a whole day, when I got through to them the next day, they just apologised, I asked about a reduction in price as I had paid for a 24 hour delivery service; no luck there.

Robert Crewdson

#21 by Robert Crewdson ( deleted ) , Wed Oct 21, 2015 6:53 pm

Douglas, how do you find your 16mm experience compared to Super 8, as it's a new guage for you?

Robert Crewdson

#22 by Steve Carter ( deleted ) , Wed Oct 21, 2015 6:55 pm

What gets me with Royal Mail is sign for, today they rang he bell, I'm upstairs in a wheelchair and have to come down on the lift, they can see the ramping outside they had to walk up the bloody thing to ring the bell, do they wait, do they hell. stick a card in and have to then organise another delivery. Now on anther day they sign it themselves and leave it in the porch, I now have to wait for Saturday I just hope I'm not upstairs again.

Steve Carter
Last edited Wed Oct 21, 2015 6:56 pm | Top

#23 by Douglas Warren ( deleted ) , Wed Oct 21, 2015 7:12 pm

Hi Robert,
So far I'm enjoying the handful of 16 mm films I've received. My projector is quite old (a Kodak Pageant 8 K 5) but it runs well so far,knock on wood. My only complaint is that most of the films I've received have been on rather battered reels.I usually wind up purchasing better quality ones and transfer the footage. My recent illness has impacted and curbed my film purchases unfortunately.

Douglas Warren

#24 by Hugh Thompson Scott ( deleted ) , Wed Oct 21, 2015 7:14 pm

Well yesterday, we're waiting for the delivery of a new combi oven, delivery sometime on Tuesday, a note through the door, "parcels
by side of house", which they were, both being a new brushcutter, left on the steps down to the boiler room, not even a rap on the door,
the knocker is a Black Bat, with a doorbell six inches away, no he must have thought, I'll sneak down then piss off before anyone catches me. God knows what goes through their heads. Royal Mail, we have a great relationship with our postie, any big stuff left in shed if we're
not in.

Hugh Thompson Scott

#25 by Jose Artiles , Wed Oct 21, 2015 7:38 pm

I use to buy films on 16mm and super 8mm almost every month,shorts or features.Now mostly 16mm or derann super 8 features only

Jose Artiles
Date registered 08.16.2015
ThankYou 16

Sidney Powell responds after Trump campaign says she is not part of legal team:
Welcome our newest member.

disconnected Reel-Chat Members online 1
Xobor Create your own Forum with Xobor