RE: Question for ALL Members

#26 by Robert Crewdson ( deleted ) , Thu Oct 22, 2015 9:39 pm

I just ordered 3 features from Paul Foster, and to my surprise, he got them off today, instead of tomorrow, as he originally said.

On the question of supporting dealers, they have to get the films you want, at the prices you can afford to pay; I don't know if there is anyone other than CHC bringing out new releases; personally, most of it doesn't appeal to me; Super 8 is expensive; you can't buy something you don't really want just to keep someone in business.

Mats Abelli likes this
Robert Crewdson

#27 by Vidar Olavesen , Thu Oct 22, 2015 9:55 pm

I agree with some of the new releases ... Captain America is so full of digital effects and probably "filmed" digitally. Those I have no interest in. Give me some 80's films and I might go for it. Considering True Lies.

What films are you getting Robert?

Vidar Olavesen
Date registered 08.02.2015
home: Sarpsborg, Norway
ThankYou 348

#28 by Robert Crewdson ( deleted ) , Thu Oct 22, 2015 10:01 pm

Three vintage westerns Vidar. I was watching a preview of the latest Bond movie; computer generated effects, did nothing for me.

Vidar Olavesen likes this
Robert Crewdson

#29 by Hugh Thompson Scott ( deleted ) , Thu Oct 22, 2015 10:02 pm

Thank you Robert, I thought I was a lone voice, super 8 film collecting will never be what it was, the gauge as regards raw film stock
for films is all but done. Why would I want to pay through the nose for something just to "prove" that I am a film collector?
Now Robert aims his question at ALL MEMBERS, could he have at least a response, 78 members, I reckon the majority are names
that might as well have been obtained from grave stones for all their input.

Hugh Thompson Scott
Last edited Thu Oct 22, 2015 10:04 pm | Top

#30 by Robert Crewdson ( deleted ) , Thu Oct 22, 2015 10:10 pm

Perhaps this is changing the subject slightly; I am happy to buy a 16mm print, of which there are not numerous copies of each title; it could be older than I am, so I consider myself luck to own it, even if it's imperfect. But I would never buy a 2nd hand copy of a Super 8 print that I could have bought brand new and cared for, only to find it was owned by someone who didn't have a clue how to handle it. I have seen Super 8 films advertised with the original leader and titles missing.

Robert Crewdson

#31 by Hugh Thompson Scott ( deleted ) , Thu Oct 22, 2015 10:18 pm

I can handle the leaders missing or replaced, some people, myself included mount films on larger spools, but for part
of the film to be missing is not good, I had a print of "Highlander" like that, a few feet were missing from the beginning, it
was a print I inherited, it didn't bother me because it's not a film I care for. Happily, it found a new home with our Vidar,
who does care for such things and used the print to restore missing spools of his own.

Hugh Thompson Scott

#32 by Robert Crewdson ( deleted ) , Thu Oct 22, 2015 10:21 pm

It was put to good use Hugh; I wonder how these people manage to damage these Super 8 prints, when the job of threading the film was done for you. No doubt these people have a vinyl collection that's scratched to buggery

Robert Crewdson

#33 by Hugh Thompson Scott ( deleted ) , Thu Oct 22, 2015 10:53 pm

I'm still laughing at the vinyl quip. On new releases, we have got to be realistic and fair, no doubt the choice of films for release
is limited, there will be so many struck, there will be a long waiting time. Not exactly what we want to hear, the road to film
release is fraught with problems. I had a lot to say on the Capt. America release, number one was the choice of what is something
I grew out of while in school, there are literally thousands of films out there that I'm sure would have been more enjoyable for the
majority. So not a film I would choose to spend a lot of cash on. Now before someone says about supporting this hobby, I have spent
a lot of money in three years on films purchased on ebay, mainly 16mm imports, these are titles that are NEVER seen in the UK, I check
dealers lists, but the stuff I like is hardly ever on them, musicals, there are any amount of, pity that I hate them. It just seems odd, that
when mentioned, the subjects of Horror or Sci-Fi, they are top sellers, why then are they so absent from the UK dealers lists, or come to
that, the new releases on 8mm? To be brutally honest, there is little to get excited about on the new releases both on 8mm or the cinema come to that.

Hugh Thompson Scott

#34 by Tom Photiou , Thu Oct 22, 2015 11:36 pm

II am Reading this with interest as when i started this thread i did so having had a conversation with a dealer before hand , i know that dealer and others are also following this item with some interest. some really good bits in here,i myself do try and buy second hand items from dealers when something i want comes along, quite often someone has beaten me to it, as for new items, all my collecting life 90% + of my films were purchased second hand., in the heyday i use to think why pay 100 for a new film when i can get it for 40-60 off a second hand list,it would be great for every film in our collection to be perfect and blemish free but i really dont mind the odd small black line, we have over the years been bitten by some dealers including Derann but generally you have a bit of protection with refunds or replace, i think once the last surviving dealer vanishes for good cine films will either go through the roof totally or the hobby will bomb,who knows? who thought Derann features could fetch over a thousand pounds in 2015?

Tom Photiou
Date registered 08.14.2015
home: Plymouth. UK
ThankYou 548

#35 by Hugh Thompson Scott ( deleted ) , Thu Oct 22, 2015 11:57 pm

I'm glad dealers are following this thread Tom, perhaps they might offer some input, as for films getting cheaper, I very much doubt it,
in fact it might have the opposite effect. I''ve just had a quick count of 16mm I've bought in the three years I've been on the web, 45 features,from USA and Germany, that isn't counting shorts, trailers or the 8mm stuff, mainly from Germany & Italy, so I reckon I'm doing my bit for film,
Christ knows what I've paid in ancillary charges, but titles that our dealers never get hold of, or are never there when you ring up.

Tom Photiou sais Thank You!
Hugh Thompson Scott
Last edited Thu Oct 22, 2015 11:58 pm | Top

#36 by Hugh Thompson Scott ( deleted ) , Fri Oct 23, 2015 12:08 am

Make that 46 16mm features, I forgot "The Italian Job".

Hugh Thompson Scott

#37 by Vidar Olavesen , Fri Oct 23, 2015 12:17 am

I am on my 3rd year of collecting myself. I have about 200 16mm films and think over 100 are features. About 1100 Super 8 films and only around 30 35mm films

Still not too bad

David Ollerearnshaw likes this

Vidar Olavesen
ThankYou 348

#38 by Hugh Thompson Scott ( deleted ) , Fri Oct 23, 2015 12:22 am

Very good Vidar, On S/8, 20 features, various languages, 21 2x400s and 20 1x400s, mainly German, so a fair bit spent on a hobby
that is in the case of 8mm, pretty dead.

Hugh Thompson Scott

#39 by Andrew Woodcock ( deleted ) , Fri Oct 23, 2015 10:42 am

I can honestly say I have no idea how many features I have. I simply have never counted them up. Must be over 60 now I'd say but I'm only guessing.
the problem I have, living in only a small(ish) house, is they're all over the bloody place! Drives the wife crackers!

The following members like this: Clyde Miles and Vidar Olavesen
Andrew Woodcock
Last edited Fri Oct 23, 2015 10:44 am | Top

#40 by Hugh Thompson Scott ( deleted ) , Fri Oct 23, 2015 12:59 pm

No, I'm saying how many I've acquired through ebay in the three years I've had access to a computer, not my full collection, Vidar
is fortunate in that he can get prints extremely cheap, mine were imports from the USA, some were dear, but with postage and customs
it ramps up the price of the cheapest print to £100.00 per film. The point being that I was showing how much I've spent in support of this hobby over a short period of time, not including the years before, titles that never appear in the UK.

Hugh Thompson Scott
Last edited Fri Oct 23, 2015 1:01 pm | Top

#41 by Robert Crewdson ( deleted ) , Fri Oct 23, 2015 1:03 pm

That is some collection you have there Vidar. I received my 3 films from Paul Foster this morning, and only ordered them after 11am yesterday; that is what you call service. I have informed him of our Forum, so hopefully he will sign up as he has done in the other forums.

Robert Crewdson

#42 by Vidar Olavesen , Fri Oct 23, 2015 1:37 pm

I am pretty sure I invited both him and Phil. But can't force anyone to join I suppose. Free marketing, why not use it? Happy that some have joined

Vidar Olavesen
ThankYou 348

#43 by Andrew Woodcock ( deleted ) , Fri Oct 23, 2015 4:52 pm

Ah sorry Hugh, I got the wrong end of the stick there. Thanks for putting me straight with this one.

It's probably not too far off one of the same thing! Ha ha ha.

Andrew Woodcock

#44 by Robert Crewdson ( deleted ) , Fri Oct 23, 2015 5:03 pm

He does belong to three other Forums Vidar, and lets members know when he has updated his site.

Robert Crewdson

#45 by David Hardy ( deleted ) , Fri Oct 23, 2015 5:53 pm

I buy mostly from long time "established" dealers I have known and bought from for a long time.
The same can be said for "private" purchases.

David Hardy

#46 by Hugh Thompson Scott ( deleted ) , Fri Oct 23, 2015 6:00 pm

I think we all echo that David, I haven't really had a bad experience yet with ebay sellers, and our dealers are
excellent regarding any problems.

Hugh Thompson Scott

Sidney Powell responds after Trump campaign says she is not part of legal team:
Welcome our newest member.

disconnected Reel-Chat Members online 2
Xobor Create your own Forum with Xobor