Micky Rooney

#1 by Paul Browning , Sat Oct 17, 2015 3:44 pm

Just read an extract in a tabloid about him from a new book due out. What an interesting life he had, I bet the books a good read, 8 wives including Ava Gardener
serial womaniser and gambler, and movie star from an early age. He had some run ins with the local hoodlums too, who were not too happy with him, by all accounts.
He lost a fortune paying people off to keep them quiet about his numerous affairs while still married with famous movie stars of the time, and anyone he took a fancy
too.

Paul Browning  
Paul Browning
Date registered 09.13.2015
ThankYou 181

RE: Micky Rooney

#2 by Steve Carter ( deleted ) , Sat Oct 17, 2015 3:49 pm

Well Paul, he was in Panto before his death, so my other half seen some things, what a character, and still lived like Hollywood Royalty.

Steve Carter

#3 by Paul Browning , Sat Oct 17, 2015 4:15 pm

What I don't get Steve is he was married to Ava Gardener ??, how on this earth did he manage that. He must have had some great chat up lines, written by Hollywood's
greats, no doubt.

Paul Browning  
Paul Browning
ThankYou 181

#4 by Robert Crewdson ( deleted ) , Sat Oct 17, 2015 4:31 pm

Was he in 'our Gang' or 'Little Rascals'. He was of Scottish descent, he real surname was Yule. I can't remember if he was a first generation American.

Robert Crewdson

#5 by Hugh Thompson Scott ( deleted ) , Sat Oct 17, 2015 4:39 pm

Maybe his name should have been Yule Log, or Yule Never believe it, he must have had something in his favour, if you know what I mean.
By what was mentioned in the article in the paper, to be in this new book, he had sex with Liz Taylor when she was only 14, he was married, dirty little devil.

Hugh Thompson Scott

#6 by Paul Browning , Sat Oct 17, 2015 4:53 pm

I think Monroe was also in there Hugh, what a line up. Make's you wonder at the vunerability of the "stars" of the silver screen, and the ulternative screen tests
that " they were told" could get them into the movies.

Paul Browning  
Paul Browning
ThankYou 181

#7 by Steve Carter ( deleted ) , Sat Oct 17, 2015 6:30 pm

He was either strawberry and chocolate flavoured or 'Jake the Peg', I think the latter.

Steve Carter

#8 by Paul Browning , Sat Oct 17, 2015 6:44 pm

Jake the peg ha ha ha, he certainly had something Steve that's not so obvious to us mere mortals, perhaps the ladies loved milk tray.

Paul Browning  
Paul Browning
ThankYou 181

#9 by Steve Carter ( deleted ) , Sun Oct 18, 2015 12:18 am

I listened to a radio play about Margaret Rutherford, how she liked younger men, yes I know a face like she's chewing a wasp, Stringer Davis loved her so much, by what I understand just put up with it, they had separate bedrooms if I remember the drama, she also suffered with great depression. Another thing she was a nudist, and my mind just could not picture the scene, no matter how I tried, I just thank God it was a radio play. I do however like Margaret Rutherford films, especially the Miss Marple ones.

Steve Carter

#10 by Hugh Thompson Scott ( deleted ) , Sun Oct 18, 2015 12:59 am

Don't believe a word of it Steve, There was a book published on her life by her "adopted son", or so he claimed he was, he lived with them, but was no relation, it was a tissue of lies from
beginning to end, he was also a cross dresser or some such weirdo, which is probably where they based the play. She did swim nude with Stringer, but it was all innocent, nothing distasteful. If you want to read her life story etc, there is a great book written by Andy Merriman entitled "Margaret Rutherford, Dreadnought With Good Manners". as a couple they were eccentric, but nieve as well. Innocents
abroad. As for young men, never, she loved Stringer, it was him and no one else, notice any films she was in, so was he. I would imagine
this play has used the fictional work of the weirdo, because it sounded tastier, I long ago stopped believing anything put out by the BBC.

Hugh Thompson Scott

#11 by Robert Crewdson ( deleted ) , Sun Oct 18, 2015 11:14 am

People can publish a complete work of fiction and get away with it. There was a book years ago that caused a stir, claimed that Errol Flynn was a Nazi sympathiser. The claims have been thoroughly investigated and there isn't any truth to them. There are a lot of other claims in the book. I think there is a lengthy discussion on it at Deidre Flynn's website.

Robert Crewdson

#12 by Hugh Thompson Scott ( deleted ) , Sun Oct 18, 2015 12:13 pm

Exactly Robert, it is very easy to create untruths about folks who are no longer with us, no doubt there are ones that are
true, but for innocent people as in the case of Stringer Davis & Margaret Rutherford to be besmirched by a work of fiction both
by this lunatic they had taken into their home and a radio play with no reprisals seems to be all to easy these days. I'd turn it back on the BBC, by saying to the likes of David Attenbororough who was Director General at the time when Jimmy Savile was running loose,
"What the hell were you doing about it, everyone else knew, except you?" The BBC is a TV Broadcaster that has long ago ceased to be the news gathering agency it once was, it selects what news it thinks we the public should know and has been found in the past to create and re edit news items to suit itself, radio plays obviously included.

Hugh Thompson Scott

#13 by Steve Carter ( deleted ) , Sun Oct 18, 2015 12:13 pm

I remember reading about that relation Hugh. I have a eBook of Dreadnaught, the beginning was about if I remember some murder in the family, and mental illness?, something to do with the father. The play on the radio starred June Whitfield as Margaret. There was also a play about Olly Reed and Kieth Moon, I like radio drama's, always have done one of the best was Hobson's Choice starring Bernard Cribbins as Willy Mossop and Wifred Pickles as Hobson. Who remembers Rick O'Shea series was it Ray Barrett who played Rick?.

Steve Carter

#14 by Robert Crewdson ( deleted ) , Sun Oct 18, 2015 1:01 pm

One thing that put me off Bob Monkhouse was that pieces of his autobiography appeared in a newspaper. He told a story about Tyrone Power, when he came to Britain in the 1950s. The story may have been true, but Tyrone Power isn't alive to defend himself. My father always used to say 'You shouldn't speak ill of the dead'. Incidentally, when Tyrone Power came to Britain in the mid fifties after his career had waned a bit in the U.S. he stayed with comedian Max Miller, near Brighton, as his father had done in the 1930s, and during a trip to London, he was pleased to pick up a theatre poster advertising his grandfather also called Tyrone Power.

Robert Crewdson
Last edited Sun Oct 18, 2015 1:04 pm | Top

#15 by Steve Carter ( deleted ) , Sun Oct 18, 2015 1:51 pm

I went to Sainsburys the other day with my Wife, the Girl on the check-out said "You have to pay for bags now Sir", I replied " I've been paying for her for years".

Steve Carter

Sidney Powell responds after Trump campaign says she is not part of legal team:
EBAY'S GLOBAL SHIPPING

disconnected Reel-Chat Members online 0
Xobor Create your own Forum with Xobor