Colourised Movies.

#1 by Robert Crewdson ( deleted ) , Fri Oct 09, 2015 11:29 am

A friend in Australia sent me a link to this video about colourised movies, made in 1984. Although most prefer B&W, it's interesting to see how they produce the colours.
http://www.abc.net.au/news/2015-10-09/vi...-movies/6834440

Robert Crewdson

RE: Colourised Movies.

#2 by Vidar Olavesen , Fri Oct 09, 2015 11:40 am

Not for me. I have bought unmentionables of L&H and John Wayne, but won't watch the colorized version. Luckily there is a choice

David Ollerearnshaw likes this

Vidar Olavesen
Date registered 08.02.2015
home: Sarpsborg, Norway
ThankYou 344

#3 by Steve Carter ( deleted ) , Fri Oct 09, 2015 11:43 am

They always seem soft in focus when compared to the B&W original, and biased to green and brown, like those old hand coloured photo's.

Steve Carter

#4 by Hugh Thompson Scott ( deleted ) , Fri Oct 09, 2015 11:59 am

I can see both sides of the argument on colourisation, I was sent a video tape years ago by the late Harry Nadler, who was organiser
of The Manchester Fantastic Film Festival, it was the colour version of "King Kong", I still have it, I enjoyed it for the novelty value,
showed it to my Father, who loved Kong, but he preferred the monochrome version. I bought the Ray Harryhausen box set of his 1950s
Sci-Fi films, the Earth vs Flying Saucers etc, these films are presented in two versions, the original B/W & a Colourised version, which is
very good, as Ray himself admitted, those films should have been made in colour, but being low budget meant B/W stock was the norm.
He was thrilled at seeing his work in colour, the finished result is excellent. So I take the view, if it was good enough for Ray, then its
the same for me, and it is nice to see the Ymir striding around Rome in colour. We have all got to remember that for us to view these films at all, there first must be a market for them, or they receive no release at all, modern audiences resent B/W films, why? Some
of the greatest, moodiest photography is actually B/W. I wait any day now to see some of my Italian Gothics colourised, but if it is with
the original in B/W, so be it.

Hugh Thompson Scott
Last edited Fri Oct 09, 2015 11:59 am | Top

#5 by Robert Crewdson ( deleted ) , Fri Oct 09, 2015 1:33 pm

Luckily with the L&H films, you have a choice, so I always watch the B&W version. The colours are just not natural. Some films would have been made in B&W because of cost, but others were probably chosen to be made that way. B&W provides an atmosphere that colour couldn't. I think it all started in America, there doesn't seem to be that issue in the UK.

Robert Crewdson

#6 by Tom Photiou , Fri Oct 09, 2015 1:38 pm

For me the only time this ever worked really well was a BBC2 showing of The Longest Day. It looked really good and looks good in both b/w or colour.
Anything else doesnt seem right!

Tom Photiou
Date registered 08.14.2015
home: Plymouth. UK
ThankYou 545

#7 by David Hardy ( deleted ) , Fri Oct 09, 2015 3:35 pm

I saw the colourised version of "20 million Miles to Earth" one afternoon on Film 4 channel.
I think they showed this version by mistake as it never appeared again after that.
I thought it looked very good indeed and one of the best colourised jobs I have seen.
Unlike the Laurel and Hardy ones which are awful. I am a monochrome purist so that's
praise coming from me.

David Hardy

#8 by David Ollerearnshaw , Fri Oct 09, 2015 9:46 pm

I thought I had a dream that I had seen The Longest Day in colour. I remember it was quite good colour. Earth Vs Flying Saucers on $£^%^*&$^&^& has good colour too, but the Laural & Hardy's are dreadful.

I still love the smell of film in the morning

David Ollerearnshaw
Date registered 08.13.2015
home: Sheffield UK
ThankYou 61

#9 by Hugh Thompson Scott ( deleted ) , Fri Oct 09, 2015 10:53 pm

I stll have the colour version on video David, it was put out on Channel four I think, lets face it, B/W or colour, it is one of the greatest
films on WW2 ever made, doesn't flag wave, tells it from all sides, a winner in every way.

Hugh Thompson Scott

Sidney Powell responds after Trump campaign says she is not part of legal team:
Tony Shapps is still about

disconnected Reel-Chat Members online 1
Xobor Create your own Forum with Xobor