RE: Gems in your collection

#26 by Steve Carter ( deleted ) , Thu Oct 08, 2015 7:16 pm

The Complete Telegoons taken from someone's 16mm collection, yes this is on unmentionable, but it brings back so many childhood memories, and it is from a 16mm source, Henry Crun and Min Bannister, "aah Min".

Steve Carter

#27 by Robert Crewdson ( deleted ) , Thu Oct 08, 2015 7:57 pm

Mountain Films brought out some Telegoons. I always wanted 'Space Patrol', but never got one. Did get one 'Foo Foo and Go Go' cartoon.

Robert Crewdson

#28 by Steve Carter ( deleted ) , Thu Oct 08, 2015 8:04 pm

I also have Space Patrol, those puppets are really creepy, but they got the walking better than the Anderson ones. Ah Foo Foo and Go Go there's a blast from the past, Halas and Bachelor.
Mountain Telegoons was Napoleon's Piano, I think.

Steve Carter
Last edited Thu Oct 08, 2015 8:10 pm | Top

#29 by Paul Browning , Thu Oct 08, 2015 8:11 pm

Some great picture post cards there Steve, what a great fantasy film made by one of the great animators of all time. At the time the film was first shown in our local cinema's
there was excitement in our local free paper because the local MP for Smethwick Andrew Foulds was in the film, but is sword skills were not as good as the Hydra's teeth,
they soon dismissed him, it's a pity a few more MP's can't be dismissed in the same way.

David Ollerearnshaw likes this
Paul Browning  
Paul Browning
Date registered 09.13.2015
ThankYou 181

#30 by Hugh Thompson Scott ( deleted ) , Thu Oct 08, 2015 8:42 pm

"Space Patrol" was a sure favourite of mine Steve, that space ship, the Galasphere 347, was like nothing seen before or since, it looked
like a super cool Gyroscope and the sound effects for it were brilliant. As a piece of interest, notice the martian in Capt, Dart's crew,
he is the double of the guy that does the "Kaiser Report" for RT.

Hugh Thompson Scott

#31 by Hugh Thompson Scott ( deleted ) , Thu Oct 08, 2015 8:53 pm

As a rider for the above puppet show, it is only recently that the complete series was discovered in Roberta Leigh's garage, 16mm
prints of all the episodes, its that which led to them being released on the unmentionables. I think three episodes were released
on the 8mm gauge, the firm CLEARVUE, which supplied screen materials etc, had these titles on their film lists "Swamps of Jupiter",
"Miracle Tree of Saturn" & "Mystery on the Moon", all 400's B/W sound.

Hugh Thompson Scott

#32 by Robert Crewdson ( deleted ) , Thu Oct 08, 2015 8:55 pm

I watched 'Space Patrol, every week. I never expected VHS to destroy home cine so quickly; I thought I had plenty of time to get my hands on these films. I preferred it to the Gerry Anderson puppets.

Robert Crewdson

#33 by David Ollerearnshaw , Thu Oct 08, 2015 9:01 pm

I have Murder on the Orient Express Marketing Films feature. Death on the Nile Optical.

I still love the smell of film in the morning

Vidar Olavesen likes this

David Ollerearnshaw
Date registered 08.13.2015
home: Sheffield UK
ThankYou 61

#34 by Hugh Thompson Scott ( deleted ) , Thu Oct 08, 2015 9:04 pm

They used to turn up quite regularly on secondhand lists Robert, no doubt they'll turn up on ebay now.

Hugh Thompson Scott

#35 by Vidar Olavesen , Thu Oct 08, 2015 9:10 pm

How is the colour on Murder and Death, David? Any screenshots? I am very happy with my Death on the Nile

Vidar Olavesen
Date registered 08.02.2015
home: Sarpsborg, Norway
ThankYou 344

#36 by David Hardy ( deleted ) , Thu Oct 08, 2015 9:16 pm

I have those Telegoons on the unmentionables. A favourite show of mine when I was a kid.
I also have the 8mm print of "Napoleon's Piano2 and a 16mm print of "Captain Seagoon RN" .

David Hardy

#37 by Hugh Thompson Scott ( deleted ) , Thu Oct 08, 2015 9:18 pm

I have both films, same as David, the "Nile" print on opt. is stunning, the "Express" is good, not red, just muted browns and flesh tones,
the original colour was nothing to write home about, the outside scenes are quite nice of the locomotive.

Hugh Thompson Scott

#38 by Vidar Olavesen , Thu Oct 08, 2015 9:20 pm

Still not using screenshots, Hugh? :-)

Vidar Olavesen
ThankYou 344

#39 by Robert Crewdson ( deleted ) , Thu Oct 08, 2015 9:24 pm

We are all anxiously waiting Hugh.

Robert Crewdson

#40 by Tom Photiou , Thu Oct 08, 2015 9:37 pm

also have,
Flintstones, Nothing but the tooth 1 x 400ft sound colour
Flintstones, seein' double 1 x 400ft sound colour
Flintstones, the twitch 1 x 400ft sound colour
Flintstones, the party 1 x 400ft sound colour
Scooby Doo. TV episode Lively Holiday 400 colour sound
Scooby Doo. TV episode The haunted house colour sound series 2 episode 5
Scooby Doo. TV episode Decoy for a dog napper colour sound Series 1 episode 5

Tom Photiou
Date registered 08.14.2015
home: Plymouth. UK
ThankYou 545

#41 by Steve Carter ( deleted ) , Thu Oct 08, 2015 9:41 pm

Yes Hugh Space Patrol is very sought after, I think after the box set release, it was only available for a short run, and the extras alone are worth having, the colour Paul Starr pilot episode is different from other puppet series, the faces are like the Telegoons how the mouths operate. They were all filmed by Arthur Provis I think, he of Anderson's AP Productions.

Steve Carter

#42 by Robert Crewdson ( deleted ) , Thu Oct 08, 2015 9:44 pm

I wrote to Andy Owens , who wrote a biography of Eric Portman, concerning my short film; this was his reply:

Dear Mr Crewdson,

Thanks very much for getting in touch and for the Portman image.

I didn't know anything about this! I am sure he did all sorts of things that I didn't find out about, and this appears to be one of them.

I had help from many people who knew Eric, including his two nephews who came up to Halifax to meet me and wrote a Foreword for the book, but I'm still receiving fascinating snippets like yours which I didn't know about and therefore didn't include in the book. He may well have done other films, etc, in which he was un-credited.

In fact, he was un-credited in his very first film The Girl From Maxim's, so I am sure there were others. After he was in the Errol Flynn movie The Prince and the Pauper, he said he did 'walk-on' parts in several other films, though the only one I could find was a musical called The Singing Marine, in which he played an un-named character firing a rifle in a fairground scene.
In fact he got so few film parts that he broke his Hollywood contract with Warner Brothers in 1937, and returned to England! His quote was "I don't like getting well-paid for doing nothing," so he returned to the English theatre circuit, until he got his big break in the Powell and Pressburger movie, The 49th Parallel, four years later in 1941.

Who knows what else he did? I don't mean to boast, but I probably know more about Portman's life and work than anyone else - and yet I suspect there is a whole mountain of information somewhere out there that I didn't manage to source!

If you find out anything else, please would you get in touch? In the mean-time I would like to forward your email to Eric's nephew, John, as I am sending him all of my Portman files for his children and grandchildren.

Best wishes

Robert Crewdson

#43 by Steve Carter ( deleted ) , Thu Oct 08, 2015 10:08 pm

Robert he's in a couple of the Tod Slaughter film's Murder in the Red Barn and I can't think off the top of my head what the other one was.

Steve Carter
Last edited Thu Oct 08, 2015 10:08 pm | Top

#44 by Robert Crewdson ( deleted ) , Thu Oct 08, 2015 10:18 pm

I've seen him in the Red Barn, and Prince and the Pauper.

Robert Crewdson

#45 by Robert Crewdson ( deleted ) , Fri Oct 09, 2015 2:04 pm

I just found that all 39 episodes of 'Space Patrol' have been uploaded on Youtube; so I think I will be downloading, and putting on disc.

Robert Crewdson
Last edited Fri Oct 09, 2015 2:27 pm | Top

#46 by Vidar Olavesen , Fri Oct 09, 2015 2:53 pm

Ugh. Sounds awful. Hope you feel better soon

Vidar Olavesen
ThankYou 344

#47 by Hugh Thompson Scott ( deleted ) , Fri Oct 09, 2015 4:38 pm

Hope he felt better than I did when pricng this little series on Amazon UK, £100.00, £149.00 and £359.00, on Amazon US, it can
be obtained for just over £40.00 inc post! Region 1 of course.

Hugh Thompson Scott
Last edited Fri Oct 09, 2015 4:39 pm | Top

#48 by Robert Crewdson ( deleted ) , Fri Oct 09, 2015 4:44 pm

I saw one on Amazon, over £100 used condition. Free from Youtube, just requires my time and some blank discs.

Robert Crewdson

#49 by Douglas Warren ( deleted ) , Sat Oct 10, 2015 1:07 am

Being American I wasn't aware of the Space Patrol series.After having a look-see of an episode on You Tube,I'll be watching the entire series now. Growing up my brother introduced me to Stingray & his personal favorite: Supercar. I still enjoy these types of programs as they're very different from what we had available in the States.

Douglas Warren

#50 by Hugh Thompson Scott ( deleted ) , Sat Oct 10, 2015 2:46 am

I first saw this little show while in junior school in the early '60s, I fell in love with the Galasphere. Thunderbirds was my favourite Gerry
Anderson show, but like many in this country Douglas, we were heartily dismayed at the feature film directed by Jonathan Frakes, it was
like he had never viewed the series, he didn't get the understated humour in the puppet show, the changing of Lady Penelope's Rolls for a Ford, was unthinkable and having "Brains" as this bespectacled Jar Jar Binks, was the last straw, Gerry Anderson didn't recognise it, come to think of it, neither did anyone else, a total mess. The same thing happened with "The Avengers", ( not the Marvel comics, but
the ATV '60s TV series with Patrick Macnee ), another total waste of time. The two features made by Anderson still stand as the definitive Thunderbirds on the big screen.

Hugh Thompson Scott

Sidney Powell responds after Trump campaign says she is not part of legal team:
Projections. Is it still going?

disconnected Reel-Chat Members online 0
Xobor Create your own Forum with Xobor