Film Star Wannabee

#1 by Robert Crewdson ( deleted ) , Wed Oct 07, 2015 1:57 pm

Just read that Coronation Street actor Ryan Thomas (Jason Grimshaw) is quitting the soap after 15 years, and is looking towards Hollywood. How many actors and other entertainers have left Britain thinking they could do better, only to be heard of never again. A few that come to mind, Ronan O'Casey, who I have only seen in an episode of 'Murder She Wrote', Mike Winters (of Mike and Bernie Winters), British comedians of the 60s Hope and Keen, and Joe Baker.

Robert Crewdson

RE: Film Star Wannabee

#2 by Andrew Woodcock ( deleted ) , Wed Oct 07, 2015 8:19 pm

Just been on the Coronation Street tour this afternoon. It's something my mum wanted to see before it shuts for good in December.

A nice afternoon and very interesting seeing the tour now since the last time I saw it almost 30 years ago. It'll be a sad day when the famous Granada TV Studios shut for good in 2016.

Andrew Woodcock

#3 by Robert Crewdson ( deleted ) , Wed Oct 07, 2015 8:34 pm

I went there in the 80s Andrew, only took some stills in B&W. I remember seeing the set of 'Sherlock Holmes' and they had a small cinema, where you could buy gifts, and they strapped you in a chair as you watched a film where you were either on a rollercoaster or flying through space, and the chairs moved to match the film. I had a pint of Newton and Ridley's while there. It was hard to believe that I was standing on the spot where Elsie Tanner and Ena Sharples had their fights all those years ago, it was like standing on hallowed ground. Lots of people looked through the letterboxes, unable to believe the houses were empty.

Robert Crewdson

#4 by Andrew Woodcock ( deleted ) , Wed Oct 07, 2015 8:40 pm

Yes it's been whittled down a bit since them days Robert. Back then it was a Granada TV Studios tour, now it is simply a Coronation St tour. A chance to see the famous cobbles for one last time if you like.

The 80's tour was just as you described Robert and even an American set including a Cadillac and New York Yellow Cab etc as you entered the studios.

Andrew Woodcock
Last edited Wed Oct 07, 2015 9:13 pm | Top

#5 by Robert Crewdson ( deleted ) , Wed Oct 07, 2015 8:53 pm

I remember they also had Checkpoint Charlie, where East met West, from some TV prog or series.

Robert Crewdson

#6 by Andrew Woodcock ( deleted ) , Wed Oct 07, 2015 9:02 pm

Yeah but can't remember the tv series it was used for Robert. It was probably about 1884. I was never in to watch TV in that era as you can imagine.

Andrew Woodcock

Sidney Powell responds after Trump campaign says she is not part of legal team:
What happened to good old fashioned customer service?

disconnected Reel-Chat Members online 0
Xobor Create your own Forum with Xobor