Success of the Forum.

#1 by Robert Crewdson ( deleted ) , Mon Sep 28, 2015 11:48 am

The success of the forum is I believe down to two people, firstly Vidar; had anyone else decided to set up a forum there would have been little or no interest, but Vidar is highly respected in the cine collecting world, and I believe that other collectors thought that anything he was involved in was worth a look; secondly Andrew joining us, another highly respected person. This has brought in a lot of very knowledgeable people from the other forum. Well done to both of you. You're doing a great job as Admin Andrew.

Vidar Olavesen sais Thank You!
Robert Crewdson

RE: Success of the Forum.

#2 by Vidar Olavesen , Mon Sep 28, 2015 11:52 am

Do not sell anyone short. All contributors keep it going. I am delighted that Mr. Scott is here but all have things to offer. Thank you all.

Vidar Olavesen
Date registered 08.02.2015
home: Sarpsborg, Norway
ThankYou 348

#3 by Robert Crewdson ( deleted ) , Mon Sep 28, 2015 12:03 pm

Every member is important, but I think if anyone else had decided to set up a film forum it would never have got off the ground. Some people were asking 'Do we need another forum?'.

Vidar Olavesen likes this
Robert Crewdson

#4 by Andrew Woodcock ( deleted ) , Mon Sep 28, 2015 1:10 pm

Robert ,your words above are indeed both very generous and extremely kind may I add.

However, I am totally with Vidar on this one. Every member is just as important as the next, I also love having Hugh on board here myself,but I equally like to see everyone posting.

Only then does it keep the forum interesting and varied for us all.
Having the same people prattle on each and every day with their ramblings will only ever lead to the demise of any forum.

So come on EVERYONE who has joined up here. Show us your posts! Ha ha.

Equally you are also correct in asking whether or not another forum was ever thought about or needed in the eyes of everyone except Vidars thankfully. I include myself on that one BTW. It's something I had never even contemplated.

If it wasn't for the calibre of the people we have on here and also for the fact that digital projection and DVD talk is not allowed to sit alongside the very same discussions surrounding our film collections, then I'd have said NO.

However, the very formula that has been conjured up here brilliantly by Vidar means now we have the very forum we film lovers only ever wanted in the first place and as a result the people we attract on here tend to be of the same like minded persuasion.

Ah Heaven!

Andrew Woodcock
Last edited Mon Sep 28, 2015 1:19 pm | Top

#5 by Robert Crewdson ( deleted ) , Mon Sep 28, 2015 1:43 pm

What I was originally trying to get across was that I think it's both Vidar and yourself Andrew that have attracted these great members here. I think if I had announced I was setting up a forum, I could only count on Hugh to support me. I think I wouldn't have even reached double figures. The fact also that we are digital free is a plus. It's a great forum and I love the atmosphere here.

Robert Crewdson

#6 by David Hardy ( deleted ) , Tue Sep 29, 2015 12:04 am

Hahahahahahaha ! As an Admin maybe should not say this but if I set up a forum there would not be any Pink/Red print
screenshots allowed. I feel they don't do our hobby any favours at all. hahahahahahaha !
Keep those posts coming folks.

Mats Abelli likes this
David Hardy

#7 by Hugh Thompson Scott ( deleted ) , Tue Sep 29, 2015 1:01 am

Don't sell yourself short Robert, you had a fan base on Doug's forum as did our Vidar, and I'll bet they miss both your posts. As for faded print screen shots David, not every film has perfect colour, just as in Monochrome prints, not all of them are well graded, some suffer from excessive contrast, as in "soot 'n whitewash" or grainy image, they're not all perfect. Indeed I would think there are as many dodgy B/W prints out there, including the many dupes, as there are off colour prints. Heh, Heh.

Hugh Thompson Scott
Last edited Tue Sep 29, 2015 1:26 am | Top

#8 by Robert Crewdson ( deleted ) , Tue Sep 29, 2015 11:24 am

Some of the B&W prints were not that good in the early days, some either so dark you couldn't see the actors talking, only hear them, and others grey, rather than B&W. On the 16mm front, it could be a choice of accepting a less than perfect copy, or going without, as some of these films are so rare they may never turn up in IB Tech, or some other low fade print.

Robert Crewdson

#9 by Hugh Thompson Scott ( deleted ) , Tue Sep 29, 2015 1:32 pm

Exactly Robert, as you know, I've just bought the Bava film "Black Sabbath" from the USA, a faded print that provided screenshots, very good contrast that responds well to gels, I viewed the screenshots through the gelatins and was very pleased. Now if I were to wait my
remaining years for a print on LPP, AGFA or IB Tech, I doubt if I could afford it, bidding would go through the roof, as it is, I have the companion film to "Black Sunday" by the same Director, which is a B/w original, costly, but I got a big reduction from $500.00 asking price. Suffice to say, I am a very happy camper, the only time I EVER saw "Sabbath" on 16mm, was in the Robert Kingston Film Hire
Catalogue from the early '70s, never seconhand, for horror enthusiasts it is the holy grail.

The following members like this: Vidar Olavesen and David Ollerearnshaw
Hugh Thompson Scott
Last edited Tue Sep 29, 2015 1:33 pm | Top

#10 by Robert Crewdson ( deleted ) , Tue Sep 29, 2015 1:50 pm

Well done again Hugh; apart from the cost, some of us are getting on a bit, and can't afford to wait for something that might not come along.

Robert Crewdson

#11 by David Ollerearnshaw , Tue Sep 29, 2015 3:09 pm

Hugh, Robert Kingston Film Hire brings back some memories. I used to just buy the hire catalogues as a film reference and to let my imagination have the ultimate home cinema. I never hired any 16mm films only super 8, these were from Columbia, FDA Derann DJ Hurst and a couple of others.

David Ollerearnshaw
Date registered 08.13.2015
home: Sheffield UK
ThankYou 61

#12 by Hugh Thompson Scott ( deleted ) , Tue Sep 29, 2015 5:01 pm

Great to see you on here David, yes I too bought in many 16mm hire catalogues from Columbia, Rank etc, just to wallow
in the fantasy of showing up to date releases, my dream was to show "One Million Years B.C.", just to prove to my Dad how realistic
those dinosaurs were. dreams do come true.

Hugh Thompson Scott

#13 by David Hardy ( deleted ) , Tue Sep 29, 2015 5:27 pm

Yes Hugh I do know about B/W stock transfers on any gauge not being "perfect". I have been collecting since I was 12 years old
and been a Cinema Projectionist for 40 + years so I have seen it all when it comes to film.
However the point I was joking about is that we could hardly advertise or promote for example " Glorious Technicolor " as the
film was meant to be seen in via a Pink / Red faded print. Its no wonder some folk decide to collect and project the "unmentionables"
in order to come close to seeing a film as it was intended to be seen.
I never would show a faded print to anyone except as an example of how bad things could get when it come to the medium.

David Hardy

#14 by David Hardy ( deleted ) , Tue Sep 29, 2015 5:43 pm

I have not posted any "screenshots" yet but when/if I do they will not be off faded prints that's for sure.

David Hardy

#15 by Hugh Thompson Scott ( deleted ) , Tue Sep 29, 2015 5:44 pm

Wenn Sie hier auf Links zu eBay klicken und einen Kauf tätigen, kann dies dazu führen, dass diese Website eine Provision erhält.

I disagree there David, its a hobby where enthusiasts put up their screenshots of the film show the night before, whether it
be IB or LPP or some little film holding onto its last vestige of colour, it is some ones film that no doubt he enjoyed the night
before and is happy to share with us, fine. Myself, I'm not concerned how our hobby is viewed by anyone else, they would have to sign up to view anyway, it is a dying hobby at best, only kept afloat by a few enthusiasts, a handful of dealers and ebay. I don't view red prints without a gel, but a sad fact is, that all those prints out there, with few exceptions, will eventually fade. I'll wager that there
are quite a few IBs out there that have never been seen for years, good colour doesn't necessarily mean good entertainment.

Hugh Thompson Scott
Last edited Tue Sep 29, 2015 5:47 pm | Top

#16 by Robert Crewdson ( deleted ) , Tue Sep 29, 2015 7:23 pm

I can see your point David, red prints only wouldn't be a good advert for our hobby. You might be surprised to know that Hugh was very lucky to secure his latest purchase on Ebay, there was a lot of interest in the film. Quite a number of people think we are mad to pay £100 plus for an imperfect copy of something we could buy on the unmentionable for maybe less than a tenner. If I restricted myself to collecting prints in excellent condition only, then more than half of my 16mm prints would be gone. They give me great pleasure, and at the end of the day, that's what's important, not what others think about our decisions.

Robert Crewdson

#17 by Hugh Thompson Scott ( deleted ) , Tue Sep 29, 2015 9:20 pm

That is so very true Robert, I, and I don't think I'm alone in this train of thought, its having that elusive print in your possession at last,
it might be B/W of a colour print or a warmed to red copy, but it is in your hands now to enjoy on your own screen. Having the silver
things with all the extras is icing to the cake, but can't compare to the "reel deal", a lot of collectors get further pleasure by designing
labels etc for their new purchase, I reckon the fun just keeps adding up, myself, I'm happy with the film proper, appreciate nice boxes
on some releases, but the bottom line is that tin of sprocket holes, magic.

Hugh Thompson Scott

#18 by Andrew Woodcock ( deleted ) , Tue Sep 29, 2015 9:43 pm

Next time I'm off I will post a few screen shots of one of my favourite Viacom faded prints, GI Blues. Not to rub David or Robert's or indeed anyone else up the wrong way of course....but just because it's a great film, one I dearly love, still looks good in my book and is worth the watch for Wooden Heart and my favourite of em all "Pocket full of Rainbows." Just on their own. I'm proud of it and that's what it's all about here to me, showing each other our proud possessions on celluloid and feeling the buzz from others treasures.

Elvis films will never win any Oscars but they are good fun for the eyes and ears and great entertainment even if the scripts are a bit naff! Lol.

Never mind Morrissey, this really is a case of "This Charming Man"
Elvis had a charisma in a league of its own.

Andrew Woodcock
Last edited Tue Sep 29, 2015 9:44 pm | Top

#19 by Hugh Thompson Scott ( deleted ) , Tue Sep 29, 2015 10:46 pm

Being a heavy metal, prog rock fan, I appreciate Elvis' talents as I get older, the man was a great performer and my older sister would
agree, she was a dyed in the wool fan too, I was reared on bloody "Wooden Heart", one of her favourites as well, but things changed rapido when I discovered Black Sabbath with Ozzy, oh, how my family suffered, it was bliss.

Hugh Thompson Scott

#20 by Andrew Woodcock ( deleted ) , Tue Sep 29, 2015 10:48 pm

"Pocket full of Rainbows" is certainly no "Paranoid" Hugh, that's for sure! Ha ha ha

http://www.bing.com/search?pc=AMAZ&form=...+rainbows+elvis

http://www.bing.com/videos/search?q=para...A91FEE8303A489B

Just a slight difference don't you agree! :))

Like em both myself though, depending what mood I'm in.
Not much in the quality music world I don't like if I'm honest

Andrew Woodcock
Last edited Tue Sep 29, 2015 11:15 pm | Top

#21 by Hugh Thompson Scott ( deleted ) , Tue Sep 29, 2015 11:15 pm

I think you'd have to be an expert to know the difference, mind you, I was humming away yesterday, until I realised what it was I
trilling, Aga bloody Doo, there are no words......

Hugh Thompson Scott

#22 by Douglas Warren ( deleted ) , Wed Sep 30, 2015 12:05 am

So Hugh,you're a prog rock fan? Same here and I wish there was more concert footage was available on 8 / 16 mm for sale.

Douglas Warren
Last edited Wed Sep 30, 2015 12:15 am | Top

#23 by Robert Crewdson ( deleted ) , Wed Sep 30, 2015 12:42 am

I have to say that I was never really a fan of Elvis , though I did own some original 45s and 78s, then came those free DVDs with a daily newspaper, and I found myself enjoying them, not only did I add to them , but bought some of his recordings as well. I find his films very entertaining. I think someone once likened our hobby vs digital to the difference between owning an original oil painting of , shall we say 'The Haywain', and buying a print; anyone can own a print, but not so with the original.

Robert Crewdson

#24 by Hugh Thompson Scott ( deleted ) , Wed Sep 30, 2015 1:07 am

A good analogy there Robert, yes I can appreciate the man, I don't own any films of Elvis, but they are entertaining non-the-less, not
my cup of tea, but who am I to judge, he has a huge following and had some lovely ladies in his cinematic vehicles, that was a very
good reason to see them. Yes Douglas, apart from the "Sab", I love Floyd, Zep, Camel, Rush, ELP etc. There was a print I was going to buy but just missed it on Bert's Super 8 Warehouse "Stamping Ground", a festival from the early '70s in Holland, just for Pink Floyd
and Jefferson Airplane in concert. As you say there isn't a lot out there on the gauges, although I still kick myself for parting with
"Floyd's "The Wall" in 'scope & "The Song Remains The Same" from Zeppelin, fool that I was.

Hugh Thompson Scott

#25 by Douglas Warren ( deleted ) , Wed Sep 30, 2015 1:24 am

I remember seeing "Stamping Ground" on Bert's site but it was out of my price range at the time. I saw "Yes" in concert two years ago (in Virginia) and now with Chris Squire's passing,I'm happy I got to see them.A fan like you of all the groups listed. Back in the 70's (in music magazines) I recall those 50' 8 mm silent reels of various Beatles footage (and other groups) for sale. I've seen a few of those reels for sale on eBay over the years.

Douglas Warren

Sidney Powell responds after Trump campaign says she is not part of legal team:
And while we are talking Elvis!

disconnected Reel-Chat Members online 0
Xobor Create your own Forum with Xobor