Tod Slaughter

#1 by Steve Carter ( deleted ) , Fri Sep 18, 2015 2:32 pm

Were any of Tod Slaughter's melodramatic films ever released on Super 8?. Tod the master of hamming it up, I have most of them on another format oops, I never tire of watching his over acting, be it 'Sweeny Todd' polishing 'em off, William Corder murdering poor Maria Marten, or The False Percival Glyde (what a great name for a villain, Percival Glyde) in 'Crimes at the Dark House', any-one else a fan?

Steve Carter

RE: Tod Slaughter

#2 by Robert Crewdson ( deleted ) , Fri Sep 18, 2015 3:10 pm

I am a big fan of Tod Slaughter, I taped all that came on Channel 4 years ago. The only one I missed was a short shown on BBC about Scotland Yard. I doubt if any were released in Super 8, and 16mm would be very desirable. He also appears in 'Song of the Road' (1937), playing a villain in a small part. I like all his films.

Robert Crewdson

#3 by Hugh Thompson Scott ( deleted ) , Fri Sep 18, 2015 3:22 pm

I remember two of them being advertised in "Movie Maker" back in the '70s by Barry Wiles I think, its so long ago. If memory
serves they were "Crimes at the Dark House" and I'm not certain if it was "Sweeney Todd" or "Murder in the Red Barn", both were
feature releases and were reviewed in the mag by Denis Gifford or Bill Davison. Back to the roof.

Hugh Thompson Scott
Last edited Fri Sep 18, 2015 3:23 pm | Top

#4 by Robert Crewdson ( deleted ) , Fri Sep 18, 2015 3:28 pm

I never knew that Hugh: I am also a fan of Tom Walls; both actors deserve a complete set of their films.

Robert Crewdson

#5 by Steve Carter ( deleted ) , Fri Sep 18, 2015 4:36 pm

My 'Never Too Late To Mend' came from a 16mm print, owned or controlled by The Rev. Brian Hession Dawn Trust Aylesbury.

Steve Carter

#6 by Robert Crewdson ( deleted ) , Fri Sep 18, 2015 8:03 pm

Steve, is this a Super 8 print or digital?. I like all his films, but particularly 'The Ticket of Leave Man', 'The Face at the Window', and 'The Crimes of Stephen Hawke'. One of his late films was based on the story of Burke and Hare. I haven't come across any entries for him in old G.B. Film Library catalogues. I wonder if Channel 4 was still using film when they broadcast most of them in the early 90s?

Robert Crewdson
Last edited Fri Sep 18, 2015 8:07 pm | Top

#7 by Steve Carter ( deleted ) , Fri Sep 18, 2015 8:26 pm

Robert it's digital from an Odeon set of his films, before these decent releases, I obtained some really poor copies from where-ever I could as my VHS late night recordings had seen better day's, as I could not find any on film sadly disc was the only medium I could enjoy Tod again. Tod Slaughter gets into the part so much you can actually see salivating at times. The Odeon sets were taken from 16mm and 35mm prints. I actually watched 'It's Never Too Late To Mend' this afternoon and it wasn't too bad from a 16mm source.

Steve Carter

#8 by Robert Crewdson ( deleted ) , Fri Sep 18, 2015 9:15 pm

So that must mean that they don't have 35mm copies of some films. They are great films, I shall have to watch some of my tapes again.

Robert Crewdson

#9 by Panayotis A. Carayannis ( deleted ) , Sat Sep 19, 2015 7:40 am

Barry Wiles did release both,TOD SLAUGHTER and CRIMES IN THE DARK HOUSE. I have them both in my collection.

Vidar Olavesen likes this
Panayotis A. Carayannis

#10 by Hugh Thompson Scott ( deleted ) , Mon Sep 21, 2015 11:43 am

To anyone who uses the unmentionable, they are available from AMAZON in a box set NTSC if your player can play them at £16.00, with
"The Curse of the Wraydon's" as a separate disc. There are a couple available Region 2.

Hugh Thompson Scott

Sidney Powell responds after Trump campaign says she is not part of legal team:
Good news ... Lost film found

disconnected Reel-Chat Members online 0
Xobor Create your own Forum with Xobor