B&W prints of colour films.

#1 by Robert Crewdson ( deleted ) , Sat Sep 12, 2015 1:30 pm

I wanted to ask if anyone had been put off buying a film because it was in B&W and the original was in colour?. At the time I was collecting Super 8 we only had a B&W TV, so it made no difference, and I was just happy to own and view the film. In the last couple of years I have seen two or three interesting features but was put off because the original film was in colour, and these were B&W prints. I would buy it if it was a print I regarded as particularly rare.

Robert Crewdson

RE: B&W prints of colour films.

#2 by Vidar Olavesen , Sat Sep 12, 2015 1:34 pm

I have bought a few on 16mm myself. If price had been higher, I think I wouldn't have bought it. The ones I remember is Kelly's Heroes and Planet of the Apes. Was High Wind in Jamaica a colour film? I have that in B&W too

Vidar Olavesen
Date registered 08.02.2015
home: Sarpsborg, Norway
ThankYou 348

#3 by Robert Crewdson ( deleted ) , Sat Sep 12, 2015 1:41 pm

I don't know about 'High Wind in Jamaica'; I don't remember whose in it. You can find out on imdb.com. The only B&W print I bought was 'The Master of Ballantrae', still looks good in B&W, though a couple of scenes are pale. At the same time I bought the digital version which came out the week I ordered the film. So I can watch in colour or the big screen in B&W.

Robert Crewdson

#4 by Robert Crewdson ( deleted ) , Sat Sep 12, 2015 1:43 pm

I just looked on imdb and 'A High Wind in Jamaica' was in colour, with colour be Deluxe.

Robert Crewdson

#5 by Vidar Olavesen , Sat Sep 12, 2015 1:49 pm

I was just lazy, hate the phone. On the computer I look it up in seconds :-)

I think I paid 10 GBP each for those, maybe even less

Vidar Olavesen
ThankYou 348

Last edited 09.12.2015 | Top

#6 by Douglas Warren ( deleted ) , Sat Sep 12, 2015 1:50 pm

I bought "Checkpoint" with Stanley Baker in B & W though the original was in color. Personally I don't mind the B & W copies depending of course on the subject matter. I can only imagine how dreadful say "2001: A Space Odyssey" would look in B & W!

Douglas Warren

#7 by Mats Abelli , Sat Sep 12, 2015 1:56 pm

To me a good black & white print, looks better than a faded color print. Of course I Prefer a IB Tech or Kodachrome print

Mats Abelli
Date registered 08.03.2015
home: Nättraby, Sweden
ThankYou 112

#8 by Robert Crewdson ( deleted ) , Sat Sep 12, 2015 2:10 pm

'Checkpoint' is a very good film, is that a Walton Film?

Robert Crewdson

#9 by Timothy Duncan ( deleted ) , Sat Sep 12, 2015 2:33 pm

I hope it's o.k. for me to chime in here, as I only am collecting 200'/400' digests at this time. I've noticed with color films that were theatrically released in the 1970's, when made into black & white digests, are consistently very grainy and crude looking. On that same thought, I own digests of older films from the 50's and 60's that were originally in color, and when made into black & white digests look pretty good. All but one of these titles were released by Ken Films, that I'm referring to.

But to answer Robert's original question, I would indeed buy a black and white version of a color film. With so much faded color film-stock floating around out there, the black & white prints are holding up quite nicely in comparison. As a kid, I had a tiny portable black & white t.v. in my room. I watched many shows and movies by those means. I've never been turned off by black & white film.

Mats Abelli likes this
Timothy Duncan

#10 by Douglas Warren ( deleted ) , Sat Sep 12, 2015 2:39 pm

Robert,
"Checkpoint" is a Walton release on 4 x 400' reels.My copy is an ex-library one but was in very good condition.The same seller sold another copy of it recently at a good price.The only downside to mine is that it's missing the opening credits.But considering I only paid $10 (USD) I really cannot complain.

Douglas Warren

#11 by Robert Crewdson ( deleted ) , Sat Sep 12, 2015 2:40 pm

I would only buy a colour film if it was on stable stock, otherwise it's money wasted.

Mats Abelli likes this
Robert Crewdson

#12 by Douglas Warren ( deleted ) , Sat Sep 12, 2015 2:49 pm

Tim,
I fully agree regarding digests as I have noticed the same thing.Some color films transfer to black and white better than others.Maybe its the original source (negative) that dictates this? Those with more technical know how could answer that question better than me.

Douglas Warren
Last edited Sat Sep 12, 2015 2:50 pm | Top

#13 by Clyde Miles , Sat Sep 12, 2015 4:26 pm

i'm ok with b/w prints of colour features. i have quite alot, and anyway after a few minutes you forget that is was made originally in colour.

Mats Abelli likes this

Clyde Miles
Date registered 08.09.2015
home: bromsgrove, worcs, uk
ThankYou 19

#14 by David Hardy ( deleted ) , Sat Sep 12, 2015 5:10 pm

I have no problem with buying B/W prints of Colour film as long as it is on monochrome film stock. Some of the transfers can be quite sharp.

Mats Abelli likes this
David Hardy

#15 by David Hardy ( deleted ) , Sat Sep 12, 2015 5:14 pm

Douglas if you take some LSD or some other psychedelic drug while watching a B/W print of 2001 it will be just fine. hahahaha !

David Hardy

#16 by Douglas Warren ( deleted ) , Sat Sep 12, 2015 5:19 pm

Lol David! I recall an article years ago that said when the film first came out,drug users would lie on the floor during the star gate sequence.Apparently that scene combined with LSD and similar drugs would provide one heck of a "trip".

Douglas Warren

#17 by Tom Photiou , Sat Sep 12, 2015 5:20 pm

On the other hand what do you think of the colourisation of the Laurel and Hardy's?
Personally,(although they are well done), i wont watch them. These must be in b/w
I have just sold a b/w copy of the 400 footer of Bundle of Joy because i found the colour version, & have to say it is better.

I also once saw the film The longest day on BBC2 and is was colourised, this particular film was actually much better in colour.

Back to the question, i would prefer a colour film if it was made in colour. I cant imagine swopping any of my colour films for a b/w copy.

Tom Photiou
Date registered 08.14.2015
home: Plymouth. UK
ThankYou 548

#18 by David Hardy ( deleted ) , Sat Sep 12, 2015 5:31 pm

Mats I agree with you on that point. I too would rather have a good B/W print than a faded colour one any time.

David Hardy
Last edited Sat Sep 12, 2015 5:31 pm | Top

#19 by Robert Crewdson ( deleted ) , Sat Sep 12, 2015 6:09 pm

I can't watch those colourised L&H films either, they have done that to classics like 'Scrooge' with Alastair Sim. I think there would have to be limits in buying B&W prints. If you didn't already own 'Gone With the Wind' would you buy a B&W; or how about 'The Adventures of Robin Hood', so that the greenwood and Lincoln Green suit is grey?

Robert Crewdson

#20 by Robert Crewdson ( deleted ) , Sat Sep 12, 2015 6:10 pm

I was glad that I did buy B&W prints in Super 8, otherwise they would all be red now.

Robert Crewdson

#21 by Tom Photiou , Sun Sep 13, 2015 5:39 pm

Yes i think on the faded colour super 8s i guess i would prefer a good b/w version.

Tom Photiou
Date registered 08.14.2015
home: Plymouth. UK
ThankYou 548

#22 by Steve Carter ( deleted ) , Sun Sep 13, 2015 7:17 pm

'Ringo the Lone Cowboy (Rider)' B&W my print is quite dark, I would like to see this one in colour, if any-one has this can they post some screen shots so that I can compare with the B&W print.

Steve Carter

#23 by Vidar Olavesen , Sun Sep 13, 2015 7:48 pm

I got the colour version. Try to find my pictures

Vidar Olavesen
ThankYou 348

#24 by Vidar Olavesen , Sun Sep 13, 2015 7:55 pm

Here's some pictures from it. Daylight scenes are not so good sadly

Vidar Olavesen
ThankYou 348

Last edited 09.13.2015 | Top

#25 by Steve Carter ( deleted ) , Sun Sep 13, 2015 8:40 pm

Thanks Vidar, it's much brighter than my B&W print.

Steve Carter

Sidney Powell responds after Trump campaign says she is not part of legal team:
Laurel & Hardy

disconnected Reel-Chat Members online 0
Xobor Create your own Forum with Xobor