I buy film because it's film.

#1 by Robert Crewdson ( deleted ) , Thu Sep 10, 2015 10:50 pm

I guess there must be others like me, who buy a film because it's on film. If I was told 'Sorry, that one has gone', I wouldn't buy it in another format. Somehow, owning the print , and seeing it the traditional way makes it more watchable. Very few of the films I own are 'Must haves'; if the film is sold, I can live without it.

The following members like this: Vidar Olavesen and Mats Abelli
Robert Crewdson

RE: I buy film because it's film.

#2 by Timothy Duncan ( deleted ) , Thu Sep 10, 2015 10:59 pm

Yes indeed Robert, I have bought some reels just because they were a good deal and I wanted more FILM! Some of them, I would have no interest in watching in another format but the film aspect was the draw for me.

There are a few reels that I purposely set out to get early on in the hobby and those are the ones I enjoy the most. But when you get the film 'bug', sometimes you will just buy it to feed your addiction! At least that's been true for me.

Timothy Duncan

#3 by Andrew Woodcock ( deleted ) , Thu Sep 10, 2015 11:00 pm

I agree Robert, I find my knowledge of traditional musicals and classic films growing by the year. I am interested in classic films when they are on film. But I wouldn't dream of buying say "that's Dancing" on D!# or Bl¥ R@y.

Watched it 3 or 4 Times on film though and thoroughly enjoy the vast majority of it!

Vidar Olavesen likes this
Andrew Woodcock

#4 by Vidar Olavesen , Thu Sep 10, 2015 11:14 pm

I must be like you, maybe worse. I am actually watching stuff in 16mm about how to brush your teeth :-) Films about children in Asia and their school routines

AND enjoying it

Vidar Olavesen
Date registered 08.02.2015
home: Sarpsborg, Norway
ThankYou 348

#5 by Timothy Duncan ( deleted ) , Thu Sep 10, 2015 11:51 pm

I am anxious to see how many of us have bought film just for the h*** of it! (LOL!)

Timothy Duncan
Last edited Thu Sep 10, 2015 11:52 pm | Top

#6 by Douglas Warren ( deleted ) , Fri Sep 11, 2015 12:04 am

I agree with this as I too will buy movies on film for the format is was intended to be seen.I recently picked up the feature "Breaking The Sound Barrier" on Super-8.I most likely could find this online to watch but this isn't the way I want to view it.

Douglas Warren

#7 by Robert Crewdson ( deleted ) , Fri Sep 11, 2015 10:40 am

I have one or two 16mm shorts like that Vidar. Normally some of these short films wouldn't be that appealing, but running them through the projector, I find them more entertaining.

Robert Crewdson

#8 by Andrew Woodcock ( deleted ) , Fri Sep 11, 2015 11:02 am

Steve Sigual selling 16mm IB Tech print of Shrek on the other forum!
Not cheap but what a find!!

"Now I'd buy that for a dollar! "

Shame it'd take nearly two thousand.

Andrew Woodcock
Last edited Fri Sep 11, 2015 11:03 am | Top

#9 by David Hardy ( deleted ) , Fri Sep 11, 2015 11:09 am

Yes guys I agree. You soon get to know who the really dedicated FILM collectors are by them totally avoiding to buy a movie they really love on any other format.
I am of the view that most "movie" collectors only buy the other formats just for the sake of having a title in their collection and to keep the numbers up in their collection. Certain so-called movie collectors I know just buy any old crap because its cheaper on the unmentionables.
I feel they display a sad lack of discrimination or taste anyway. If I can buy it on film I will and can do without any other formats quite easily.
That's my snobbish rant over.

David Hardy

#10 by Andrew Woodcock ( deleted ) , Fri Sep 11, 2015 1:03 pm

If I can get the titles I want on Super 8 rather than discs, I will always buy the film no matter what the cost with the exception of Star Wars.

I like the film, but nowhere near enough to pay the price it commands today which is over £1000 for one in original boxes and condition with all original leaders in tact.

This is one film I am quite happy to show using my boring (but very good) square & white, ceiling mounted machine!

Andrew Woodcock
Last edited Fri Sep 11, 2015 1:03 pm | Top

#11 by Robert Crewdson ( deleted ) , Fri Sep 11, 2015 1:30 pm

Tim, I have bought a film, just because I wanted something new. It was a few years ago when I saw an early Kodascope on tinted stock titled 'Rocky Mountain Mammals'. It shows you a mountain in the USA and shows what animals live at certain levels, at the very top are Mountain Goats. It's not particularly interesting. Kodascopes were supposed to be better than the average print as they were printed directly from 35mm negatives; I haven't found them to be anything special myself.

Robert Crewdson

#12 by Timothy Duncan ( deleted ) , Fri Sep 11, 2015 3:35 pm

LOL Robert! How often does "Rocky Mountain Mammals" get viewed? I have one called "The Crusades", which is a 200' silent digest of the 1935 Cecil B. DeMille directed film. It takes place during Medieval times and it's not really my cup of tea. I must say that there are some extravagent costumes and sets here, but it just doesn't hold my attention. But, I bought it because it was very inexpensive and the box looked to be in excellent condition. The reel had indeed seen very little (if any) use in its day. I guess the previous owner didn't find it very exciting to watch either.

Timothy Duncan

#13 by Robert Crewdson ( deleted ) , Fri Sep 11, 2015 4:51 pm

Hi Tim, I have watched it twice in the last 2 years. I have others that haven't had an airing for some time, like The Royal Tour of Canada 1938, or the Royal Tour of New Zealand 1954, plus a few other royalty films.

The film,'The Crusades' didn't receive a particularly good review in the UK. A footnote states that 10,000 extras were used in the biggest scene, the Siege of Acre. Special armour had to be made for them at a cost of thousands of pounds. One of the leading actors, Henry Wilcoxon maintained that the film was historically accurate.

Robert Crewdson

#14 by Timothy Duncan ( deleted ) , Fri Sep 11, 2015 6:05 pm

Thank you kindly for the info Robert. "The Crusades" was one of a few reels that I bought with no clue what it was going to be about. I haven't watched it a second time either. It will probably still be in excellent condition 20 years from now.

Timothy Duncan

Sidney Powell responds after Trump campaign says she is not part of legal team:
Work of a Genius!

disconnected Reel-Chat Members online 1
Xobor Create your own Forum with Xobor