Films for the public

#1 by Hugh Thompson Scott ( deleted ) , Wed Sep 09, 2015 11:50 pm

I used to buy films in the past, in the event of a public show, I would have in my canon of well liked Film,
what are yours?

Hugh Thompson Scott

RE: Films for the public

#2 by Andrew Woodcock ( deleted ) , Wed Sep 09, 2015 11:53 pm

Don't you buy films now Hugh?

I like nearly all types of films really. Just so long as they are quality films.

From Bambi to the Exorcist.

Andrew Woodcock
Last edited Wed Sep 09, 2015 11:55 pm | Top

#3 by Hugh Thompson Scott ( deleted ) , Thu Sep 10, 2015 12:00 am

Nice one Andrew, I must have worded it wrong, but films that you could show to the public at large,
stuff that you wouldn't normally buy for your own entertainment, you know, news reels of WW2,
how a steel girder is made, usually in great colour, films that are interesting, not boring, but would
keep the public interested.

Hugh Thompson Scott

#4 by Vidar Olavesen , Thu Sep 10, 2015 12:00 am

Me too, but still 70's and 80's films are close to my heart

Vidar Olavesen
Date registered 08.02.2015
home: Sarpsborg, Norway
ThankYou 348

#5 by Hugh Thompson Scott ( deleted ) , Thu Sep 10, 2015 12:04 am

Mentioning "The Exorcist", some years ago, I was threatened with Police action at a charity funding film show if I showed the
400' Columbia release!

Vidar Olavesen likes this
Hugh Thompson Scott

#6 by Andrew Woodcock ( deleted ) , Thu Sep 10, 2015 12:08 am

No one but myself has ever seen a full film of mine yet sadly Hugh.
My wife and family will not watch anything on cine.

The beam has to originate from ceiling level to satisfy their big screen desires.

As said, this film malarkey is either in your blood or isn't as far as I can see.
Most people I know think anyone who spends around 45 minutes setting up equipment just to watch a film is totally crackers unfortunately.

Andrew Woodcock

#7 by Vidar Olavesen , Thu Sep 10, 2015 12:09 am

It's a film ... Can't quite get the problem. Maybe if there was children there one should not consider showing it

Vidar Olavesen
Date registered 08.02.2015
home: Sarpsborg, Norway
ThankYou 348

#8 by Andrew Woodcock ( deleted ) , Thu Sep 10, 2015 12:12 am

They want silence and DTS Vidar.

I do my best by having a Bauer but even that can't compete with 22dBba sadly.

Andrew Woodcock

#9 by Hugh Thompson Scott ( deleted ) , Thu Sep 10, 2015 12:29 am

Well the point I was trying to get across, badly,my fault, is the kind of film show the Vicar would allow, obviously
The Exorcist" is a non starter, I'll lead by example, " Steamboat Down The Nile", just to bore 'en stiff a bit,
then hit'em with the Hollywoods USA and British, Psycho promo, the making of's, any amount out there of various films
and a couple of cartoons, and no spitting on the floor!

Hugh Thompson Scott
Last edited Thu Sep 10, 2015 12:29 am | Top

#10 by Andrew Woodcock ( deleted ) , Thu Sep 10, 2015 12:36 am

I have a really nice range of films to cater for all tastes and audiences I'd say Hugh, but unfortunately you will only get an answer to this from those that collect for public screenings I guess, as mine just entertain only myself unfortunately.

Andrew Woodcock

#11 by Hugh Thompson Scott ( deleted ) , Thu Sep 10, 2015 12:53 am

Andrew, I find your saying that your family don't want to see your films as strange, why, you strike me as a chap
who is at one with a film show, maybe a sign of the times, our days are numbered, but showing film outside the home, which
I haven't done for a while, might have the same reaction, do the public at large not want to see our films? Isn't it odd, our medium
is now seen as "old hat", yet founded the foundation as now. "Now't as strange as folk" to coin a Northern saying. Meaning nothing as
strange as ordinary people.

Hugh Thompson Scott

#12 by Timothy Duncan ( deleted ) , Thu Sep 10, 2015 3:43 am

Andrew,
I too, am the only one in my house watching my films for the most part. And I can completely forget anyone watching one of the silent/subtitled reels with me! Too bad you live on the other side of the world. I would come over and watch "Poltergeist" at your place.

I've considered asking my daughter's teacher if she would be interested in me bringing a projector in for an hour just to show the younger folks how movies were once made and shown. It would be sort of an educational experience, I would think. It's just a thought. I feel like her class might enjoy it.

Timothy Duncan

#13 by Andrew Woodcock ( deleted ) , Thu Sep 10, 2015 6:30 am

Just to put into perspective, I could if I so wished quite very easily find myself an appreciative audience. I know many in this hobby for example who would do fabulous Christmas shows at schools for example where it is both a historical view at cinematography as well as offering a great interesting lesson or two for the science classes.

Some, as used to be the case, go to old folks homes etc etc to find a different kind of appreciative audience.
There are many places and methods, it's just that I don't seek one at this stage of my life as I am already busy with my work and then busy with my hobby.
I need the remainder of my time just to relax with my family.

I am sure things will be very different once I have retired one day.

Andrew Woodcock

#14 by Robert Crewdson ( deleted ) , Thu Sep 10, 2015 11:30 am

At present I am the only one watching real film in my house; when my parents were both alive, we watched feature films very often. I used to buy films that I knew we would all enjoy. I am surprised Andrew's family don't want to watch films.

Robert Crewdson

#15 by Andrew Woodcock ( deleted ) , Thu Sep 10, 2015 9:49 pm

They will watch projected images Robert, in fact they love watching on the big screen, just not cine films unfortunately.

Andrew Woodcock

#16 by Robert Crewdson ( deleted ) , Thu Sep 10, 2015 10:45 pm

Shame Andrew, in my day that was the only way of watching films, I didn't get VHS until the 1990s.

Robert Crewdson

#17 by Andrew Woodcock ( deleted ) , Thu Sep 10, 2015 10:47 pm

in 2015, it is still our preferred method Robert thank goodness!

Not 4k, but we love it all the same.. warts and all!

Andrew Woodcock

Sidney Powell responds after Trump campaign says she is not part of legal team:
Sound Quality on 8mm.

disconnected Reel-Chat Members online 0
Xobor Create your own Forum with Xobor