Film Day at Elementary School

#1 by Douglas Warren ( deleted ) , Sun Sep 06, 2015 3:34 pm

Along with my late Father's 8mm movies,my other source of being up close to motion picture film was in elementary school.From grade 2nd to the 5th we would have film day.Tuesday was for the 2nd grade class all the way up to Friday for 5th grade. Much of the fare was the usual educational variety,but we did get the occasional Disney reels. Most of those were of a documentary style,but were still much better than the other films shown. I remember being fascinated by the huge 16 mm projectors!

The following members like this: Vidar Olavesen and Mats Abelli
Douglas Warren

RE: Film Day at Elementary School

#2 by Robert Crewdson ( deleted ) , Sun Sep 06, 2015 3:45 pm

We only had one showing at school; we had a choice one day of doing our lessons or going to the assembly hall to watch two films. We were charged 6 pennies. It was a Bell & Howell manual threader, and the teacher was having some difficulty; I went over to watch him. One film was a Charlie Chaplin short, the sharpest image I have ever seen, the other was George Montgomery in a film about Monte Cristo's Treasure. It was like being in the cinema, with the same sound. That's what got me interested in Bell & Howell when I moved into 16mm. Then shortly before I left school, our class went to the local fire station, and they showed us a film of Jiminy Cricket warning about the danger of playing with matches. After that I only saw one more film presentation, that was at my place of work; we were shown a popular short film starring John Cleese, Ronnie Barker, and Ronnie Corbet, about different classes of people. This again was in 16mm, and I thought how much better it was than my Super 8. That was the last film show my company gave, after that we sat in a room and watched a video tape on TV.

Mats Abelli likes this
Robert Crewdson

#3 by Douglas Warren ( deleted ) , Sun Sep 06, 2015 3:53 pm

Robert,
I remember that Jiminy Cricket film as well.The Disney nature documentaries were class favorites too. Once one of the teachers forgot to lock the reel on the projector and of course it came off with a loud bang and rolled to the front of the auditorium. Everyone was laughing so hard (including the teacher running the projector.) I can still see that huge reel rolling towards the stage leaving a long trail of film behind!

Douglas Warren

#4 by David Hardy ( deleted ) , Sun Sep 06, 2015 6:12 pm

We used to get some Disney educational 16mm films too. Among those we saw was " Donald In Mathmagicland "
We also got a lot of those BP and SHELL sponsored films about North Sea gas and oil.

David Hardy

#5 by David Hardy ( deleted ) , Mon Sep 07, 2015 2:02 pm

I can also remember our seasonal school film shows. These were full 16mm Feature films hired from the libraries.
Our school assembly hall was fortunate enough to have a Projection Box. We had a couple of Bell & Howell 630 series projectors
complete with reel change-over facility and CinemaScope.
Some of the films I recall seeing was " BILLY LIAR" , " A KIND OF LOVING " and "WALK DONT RUN".
Happy school days !

David Hardy

#6 by Robert Crewdson ( deleted ) , Mon Sep 07, 2015 2:29 pm

You were lucky, I wonder why my school only had the one showing?

Robert Crewdson

#7 by Timothy Duncan ( deleted ) , Mon Sep 07, 2015 7:11 pm

I can vaguely remember a movie projector ever being brought out in grade school. By the time I was in the 7th or 8th grade, another unmentionable medium was in its prime. I told my pal Doug that I mostly remember filmstrip projectors with the accompanying cassette narration. It's film, but not terribly exciting.

Timothy Duncan
Last edited Mon Sep 07, 2015 7:13 pm | Top

#8 by Hugh Thompson Scott ( deleted ) , Mon Sep 07, 2015 9:17 pm

David's recollection is similar to my own, our Geography teacher, Mr Fearon, a lovely men, used to show us shorts on "How the People
of Lapland soak the stains from their wash with only reindeer spit" and " How Arabic tribes manage in the desert without BBC2", y'know the stuff we were subjected to, but our Woodwork teacher, Mr Wildridge, was a western fan, and he hired "The Man from Laramie", it was on show all week at certain times in the day, twice it coincided with a maths lesson, the best two bob ( 20.pence)I ever spent!
Apart from the Christmas & Exam tests which concerned William Golding's "Lord Of The Flies" and at College the Building Trade Safety
Films, which were horrific to say the least, one entailed a painter being cut in two with a bulldozer blade, it happened to my late friend,
but with a JCB bucket not being chocked, he was crushed but survived, only to die recently of negligence, not related to his previous accident.

Hugh Thompson Scott
Last edited Mon Sep 07, 2015 9:39 pm | Top

Sidney Powell responds after Trump campaign says she is not part of legal team:
My Film room

disconnected Reel-Chat Members online 0
Xobor Create your own Forum with Xobor