Ebay sellers.

#1 by Robert Crewdson ( deleted ) , Sat Sep 05, 2015 8:10 pm

Some Ebay sellers seem to have a don't care attitude; they no longer want the item, and don't take steps to ensure you receive your item securely. I recently bought a beautiful condition TQ1 projector, it still has the original worm, which is the only concern. I was lucky to get it just above the starting price, and although I didn't really need it, it was too good not to buy if there wasn't a lot of competition. As usual when you pay by Paypal, you are asked if you want to leave a message for the seller. I asked him to make sure it was sufficiently packed to ensure it arrived undamaged. I have to pay the return postage if that happens. When it arrived by UPS it was in a single layer cardboard box, with absolutely no packing, he had just used tape marked 'Fragile' to seal the top. When it arrived the courier told me he thought the bottom of the box was going to give way, so I had to support it underneath as he handed it over. It's amazing it arrived undamaged, had he used Parcelforce, it would have been in more pieces than a jigsaw puzzle. I didn't leave any feedback.

Robert Crewdson

RE: Ebay sellers.

#2 by Douglas Warren ( deleted ) , Sat Sep 05, 2015 8:33 pm

Robert,
I feel your pain on this topic.I too have requested the same of sellers only to have the item arrive damaged.It has amazed me over the years how some items arrive packed. An old shirt wrapped around a projector does not equate to bubble wrap and shipping peanuts!I'm glad your TQ1 made it there undamaged at least.

Douglas Warren

#3 by Hugh Thompson Scott ( deleted ) , Sat Sep 05, 2015 8:52 pm

I empathise with folk like Robert who receive gear in the tardiest packing, although our little corner of Parcelforce in the North
must have a competition, I have received 16MM projector damaged, that I repaired, a cement mixer motor smashed, a shipment
of Gloss paint, one of the tins burst, thank God I have a below stairs tiled porch, a shipment of tools with builders foam, burst with
a complete mess inside the box with semi hardened foam, shipment of film stuff including Thermofilm, crushed, causing leak of
preserver and film cans 16mm, each end broken, yes we have some great parcel shippers, I don't think.

Hugh Thompson Scott

#4 by Timothy Duncan ( deleted ) , Sat Sep 05, 2015 8:55 pm

It really ticks me off when a seller puts one of those expensive and fragile projector lamps in a padded envelope! EVERY time that has happened, I have received a damaged bulb!

Yes, I have had a projector shipped in one layer of bubble wrap and a thin, old men's shirt (the longjohn type). Not to mention the shipping box was oversized and unsealed by the time it was left on my porch.

Not to embarrass Doug, but he KNOWS how to pack a projector! You'll have enough bubble wrap left over to reuse and wrap your grandma in!

Timothy Duncan

#5 by David Hardy ( deleted ) , Sun Sep 06, 2015 12:34 am

One word about Ebay sellers. Dodgy .

David Hardy

#6 by Robert Crewdson ( deleted ) , Sun Sep 06, 2015 10:40 am

I have had EBay sellers charge for a secure delivery, only to find they used a cheaper service where no signature was required. Someone left a feature on the doorstep without even knocking, and it was a rainy day.

Robert Crewdson

#7 by Douglas Warren ( deleted ) , Sun Sep 06, 2015 2:33 pm

One complaint I have is the condition some items arrive in. It doesn't take long to at least dust off or wipe down a machine before sending. I got a projector once that looked like it had been stored in a barn the last 30 years and smelled like it too!

Douglas Warren

#8 by Robert Crewdson ( deleted ) , Sun Sep 06, 2015 3:32 pm

The one I bought was dusty, after I got it I went to work on it with some spray polish. Amazing how so many projectors advertised as working don't have the mains lead.

Robert Crewdson

#9 by Douglas Warren ( deleted ) , Sun Sep 06, 2015 3:36 pm

So true Robert,and it makes you wonder how the seller knows it's working if the power cord is gone!

Douglas Warren

#10 by Robert Crewdson ( deleted ) , Sun Sep 06, 2015 3:46 pm

I often wonder if it's a genuine statement.

Robert Crewdson

#11 by Timothy Duncan ( deleted ) , Sun Sep 06, 2015 6:12 pm

Sometimes the seller will only power the machine on, and if they hear the fan running, they assume it's working!

Timothy Duncan

#12 by Timothy Duncan ( deleted ) , Fri Sep 11, 2015 8:46 pm

Wenn Sie hier auf Links zu eBay klicken und einen Kauf tätigen, kann dies dazu führen, dass diese Website eine Provision erhält.

I just asked a seller a question about various reels that she had for sale on eBay. The question was written as follows:
Dear Seller,
Are all of these 3" or 5" reels?

The response was "I don't know what that means".

I found it amusing and explained to her in another message (in more detail) what I meant by the question.

Vidar Olavesen likes this
Timothy Duncan

#13 by Robert Crewdson ( deleted ) , Fri Sep 11, 2015 8:49 pm

I had something similar happen to me, I advertised something, and the interested party couldn't understand the symbol for inches, wanted to know what the size was. Some pretty dumb people out there.

Robert Crewdson

#14 by Mats Abelli , Fri Sep 11, 2015 8:52 pm

People in common from continental Europe are not very familiar with inches and feet, as we use the metric system.

Mats Abelli
Date registered 08.03.2015
home: Nättraby, Sweden
ThankYou 112

#15 by Robert Crewdson ( deleted ) , Fri Sep 11, 2015 8:55 pm

I was brought up in feet and inches, Centimetres and Metres are foreign to me, but I that's how measurements appear in the UK now. Another mystery is giving someone's height in metres, and weight in kilos. Some of the weights used in Britain dated to Roman times.

Robert Crewdson

#16 by Mats Abelli , Fri Sep 11, 2015 8:57 pm

I know. Can you tell me how much a stone is? In kilograms or lbs.

Mats Abelli
ThankYou 112

#17 by Mats Abelli , Fri Sep 11, 2015 9:02 pm

And it´s a relief that GB changed the money to the decimal system. I remember Pounds, shillings and pences. How could people calculate the sum ?

Mats Abelli
ThankYou 112

#18 by Timothy Duncan ( deleted ) , Fri Sep 11, 2015 9:08 pm

Well, this lady was from the U.S. I think there was a push in the mid 1970's to convert to a universal metric system, but it did not go over here. Although many consumer items list metric measurements on them (kg, mg and so forth), they primarily list the ounces, lbs. (pounds), etc. I always wondered if we were the only country that didn't primarily use the metric system.

Sorry for the off topic guys.

Timothy Duncan

#19 by Robert Crewdson ( deleted ) , Fri Sep 11, 2015 11:06 pm

Hi Mats, 14lbs is one Stone; a hundredweight is 112lb, not 100lbs. The old currency was difficult, then when I left school we had to get used to a new system. I am glad America still uses Imperial measures. Houses were built to imperial measurements then one day when you wanted a piece of wood a yard long (3 feet), you had to buy a Metre (3ft 3 inches), and throw the 3 inches away. Most people in Britain are fed up with the EU, it's been of no benefit to us.

Mats Abelli sais Thank You!
Robert Crewdson

Sidney Powell responds after Trump campaign says she is not part of legal team:
I buy film because it's film.

disconnected Reel-Chat Members online 0
Xobor Create your own Forum with Xobor