Film inspection

#1 by Vidar Olavesen , Sun Aug 30, 2015 2:30 pm

Mr. Hardy had a comment about always checking a film before projecting ... I wonder, do all of you do this? I tend to fix the faults as they appear (if the picture starts jumping, I replace the splice)

I know I am a bit lazy at this, but to now, I luckily haven't experienced anything that damaged my projector or film. I have had bad splices with sticky tape, with some paperlike tape and even some clay looking stuff. All replaced of course. I've heard about staples in 35mm prints, that's a reason to check through it before projecting, I agree. Scares me a little, but not having proper equipment (a poor manual rewinder which takes an hour to spool through ... exaggerating a bit, but you get the drift)

Looking forward to hear if you are lazy (and dares say so) or careful :-) I know David's answer ;-)

Vidar Olavesen
Date registered 08.02.2015
home: Sarpsborg, Norway
ThankYou 348

RE: Film inspection

#2 by Timothy Duncan ( deleted ) , Sun Aug 30, 2015 2:54 pm

I'm one of the lazy ones Vidar. But then again, I don't buy library copies or films without the original box. I always blow the photo of the box up to see what shape it truly is in. If the box looks nice, then most likely the film has been stored properly and cared for. My biggest concern when making a film purchase has been whether it will be complete. I bought a 50' reel of "War of the Colossal Beast" back in July. There is several feet (probably a third of the reel) of film missing from the beginning, so I haven't even bothered watching it. It was cheap, so I didn't send it back. That was one time that a nice box fooled me. With a 400' reel, I usually hold it up to the light to illuminate any unusual dark spots, indicating a hidden repair. Additionally for me, if the original (lab) leader is there and in nice shape, it has been an indication to me that the print should be in good shape, as well as it has not been run very much if at all.

Vidar Olavesen likes this
Timothy Duncan

#3 by Robert Crewdson ( deleted ) , Sun Aug 30, 2015 3:01 pm

My manual rewinders only hold about 800ft, so I can check a short film. I used to use the rewind facility on the projector to clean/lubricate the print, and I could feel any splice as the film ran through the cloth. I could always stop the projector and check. I buy mine mostly from two respected dealers, so I don't examine the whole film.

Robert Crewdson

#4 by Timothy Duncan ( deleted ) , Sun Aug 30, 2015 3:26 pm

This is a great question Vidar!

Timothy Duncan

#5 by Douglas Warren ( deleted ) , Sun Aug 30, 2015 3:33 pm

I tend to run mine on a less used machine to check for faults and for cleaning.I don't run the film through the gate,just from spindle to spindle.I plan on getting some rewinds in the near future.

Douglas Warren

#6 by Tom Photiou , Mon Aug 31, 2015 9:48 am

I only give them. A check. And a clean. Before. There first. Viewing. Once. Done as long as your using. A good projector there shouldn't really be any need to check them every time your. Going to view them
Sorry about the full stops

Tom Photiou
Date registered 08.14.2015
home: Plymouth. UK
ThankYou 548

Last edited 08.31.2015 | Top

#7 by David Hardy ( deleted ) , Mon Aug 31, 2015 11:19 am

If you don't want to check the print before each projection well that's fine. Its just that a perforation may have been nicked or torn during
projection. Or that cement splice may be drying out or that tape splice may be stretching a bit leaving a slight gap between the frames which will in time become "bendy" and cause problems.
Also you should never ever project a print you have bought secondhand without first giving it an inspection before projection.
Some of you guys are throwing caution to the wind I feel and have a great deal of faith as to its overall condition.
However go ahead do it your way its your money and equipment and films after all and has nothing to do with me. hahahahaha !
YES I have seen "staples" in 8mm / 16mm prints and joins made with gooey sticky electrical insulating tape. Lucky these never made contact with any of my projectors due to my removal via inspection before the first run. Have FUN !

David Hardy

#8 by Tom Photiou , Mon Aug 31, 2015 8:04 pm

We always thouroughly check any second hand films we buy before its first viewing here. I would never just run one through.
I think after that first check we know our equipment well enough to know we are safe, as yet,(there is always a first), i haven't had any of my own splices come apart.
It is funny how we are all very different, i have known people who actually clean there films each time they are going to show them. I guess that's the ultimate in keeping them clean.

Vidar Olavesen likes this

Tom Photiou
ThankYou 548

#9 by Andrew Woodcock ( deleted ) , Mon Aug 31, 2015 9:39 pm

Filmguard though excellent in many many ways, does loosen tape splices.

After a few screenings , it may prove necessary to redo one or two splices I've found.
This is using it very sparingly.

Andrew Woodcock
Last edited Mon Aug 31, 2015 9:40 pm | Top

#10 by Tom Photiou , Mon Aug 31, 2015 9:44 pm

Yeah i am learning quite quickly how little you do need of this stuff. I do like it, it is a very good cleaner but the over use i did was starting to show. Now when i apply it i do go backward on the rewind arms and with very very gently pressure, remove the excess. You'd be amazed at what comes off on the reverse, and i mean dirt not just the excess cleaner

Tom Photiou
ThankYou 548

#11 by Andrew Woodcock ( deleted ) , Mon Aug 31, 2015 10:03 pm

It's a very good cleaner Tom, even better lubricant!

The best I've ever used for covering base scratches.

Andrew Woodcock

#12 by David Hardy ( deleted ) , Tue Sep 01, 2015 9:53 am

Yes use that Filmguard very very sparingly. We used it at a cinema where I worked but not very often.
I have avoided using it on my magnetic striped stock as there was some uncertainty as to how it would
react with the stripe in the long term.

David Hardy

Sidney Powell responds after Trump campaign says she is not part of legal team:
The Magazine,

disconnected Reel-Chat Members online 1
Xobor Create your own Forum with Xobor