Your favorite genre to collect

#1 by Timothy Duncan ( deleted ) , Fri Aug 28, 2015 6:44 pm

What is your favorite category or genre to collect? Sci-fi? Action? Comedy...etc? Also, do you have a favorite time period/decade when films were made? 1930's, 40's...etc.? Do you dig silents (from the 1920's and earlier)?

Me? Hands down, I like disaster, horror, science fiction, and some drama. My absolute fave decade of film production would definitely be the 1970's. And yes, sometimes I do dig a good silent film!

Vidar Olavesen likes this
Timothy Duncan

RE: Your favorite genre to collect

#2 by Vidar Olavesen , Fri Aug 28, 2015 6:52 pm

I love my sci-fi, horror and westerns. Love the old silents, would love to find a Metropolis, Nosferatu and such classics. Favorite decade has to be 80's if I can only choose one. But 70's have several of my favorite films, like Alien, Jaws, Close Encounters and more

Vidar Olavesen
Date registered 08.02.2015
home: Sarpsborg, Norway
ThankYou 348

#3 by Robert Crewdson ( deleted ) , Fri Aug 28, 2015 7:01 pm

I don't have a favourite genre. I originally wanted to own everything by Laurel and Hardy, but never made it. My favourite period is 1940s and 50s, though have films from other decades.

Robert Crewdson

#4 by Timothy Duncan ( deleted ) , Fri Aug 28, 2015 7:02 pm

I love many horror films from the 1970's. They had a certain weirdness to them that has, in my opinion, never been recaptured in any other decade of filmmaking. Many of them had a quite serious tone and would stay with me in my thoughts, sometimes days after the film was seen. "Carrie" (1976) was one such film. The release by Derann would be quite nice to own I'm sure.

Timothy Duncan

#5 by Vidar Olavesen , Fri Aug 28, 2015 7:16 pm

I got one of those 2x400' edited correctly. Do lack a bit in my opinion. Dressed to Kill was a better digest

Vidar Olavesen
ThankYou 348

#6 by Andrew Woodcock ( deleted ) , Fri Aug 28, 2015 9:11 pm

I like top drawer animated films, action / adventure films, horror, musicals the odd war type film like the Dirty Dozen and decent Drama films also.

In fact pretty much all films so long as they are quality productions.

Not a classic film fan as such but I do have some L&H's as well as classic northern films like George Formby.

Andrew Woodcock
Last edited Fri Aug 28, 2015 9:15 pm | Top

#7 by Hugh Thompson Scott ( deleted ) , Fri Aug 28, 2015 10:10 pm

Derann did release a few George Formby's as you know Andrew, but I don't know what the prints were like. My favourite genre's
are Ray Harryhausen, Bruce Lee, Italian/ Euro Gothic horror (preferably with Barbara Steele), Spaghetti westerns and Carry On's,
not forgetting the Hammer Film releases.

Hugh Thompson Scott
Last edited Fri Aug 28, 2015 10:12 pm | Top

#8 by Robert Crewdson ( deleted ) , Sat Aug 29, 2015 1:53 pm

I bought two of the Formby features, 'Spare a Copper' and 'No Limit'; don't know how Andrew feels about the quality, as he was buying super 8 long after I stopped, when quality was supposed to be better, but at the time I was perfectly satisfied with both prints.

I used to buy films according to the artist; I was influenced by my parents, who were regular cinema goers. So when I saw that Powell Films had a Randolph Scott Western I bought it, not knowing if it was a good story or not, likewise Niles Films 'Santa Fe Trail' with Errol Flynn, and DCR's 'Not Wanted on Voyage' and 'Carry on Admiral' both with Ronald Shiner.

Some films I bought because they were known to me like David Lean's 'Oliver Twist' and 'Great Expectations'.

Robert Crewdson

#9 by Douglas Warren ( deleted ) , Sat Aug 29, 2015 4:34 pm

For me it would be action-adventure,science fiction, horror and fantasy and many more.Like with music, if the story intrigues me I'll watch it regardless of the era it came from. I think each decade has something to offer though I haven't been a big fan of current releases.

Douglas Warren

#10 by David Hardy ( deleted ) , Sat Aug 29, 2015 4:49 pm

For me its Fantasy / Horror films. Favourite decades are the 1920s / 30s / 40s .
Then Comedy films by Chaplin / Laurel and Hardy / Buster Keaton / Harold Lloyd / Abbott and Costello.

David Hardy

#11 by Vidar Olavesen , Sat Aug 29, 2015 4:54 pm

Robert, what about the post didn't you like? Would be nice to know why you didn't like it.

Vidar Olavesen
ThankYou 348

#12 by Timothy Duncan ( deleted ) , Sat Aug 29, 2015 7:13 pm

Doug, I agree (every decade has its own gems). I like many films from the earlier decades of film production. I'm not completely biased to one genre, but as far as comedies go, it has to be REALLY funny to make me laugh.

Timothy Duncan

#13 by Vidar Olavesen , Sat Aug 29, 2015 7:35 pm

Then again, humour is individual. I laugh my ass off from stuff like Airplane, Naked Gun and those. My wife sleeps and say not funny

She seem to think Laurel & Hardy would be fun, if they were colour. Sadness, wanted her to like some films, but she mostly like the super hero films they are spewing out these days. I am bored of most of them.

Vidar Olavesen
ThankYou 348

#14 by Timothy Duncan ( deleted ) , Sat Aug 29, 2015 7:55 pm

Vidar,
Would you care to make a donation to the Church of Religious Consciousneess?

Timothy Duncan
Last edited Sat Aug 29, 2015 7:56 pm | Top

#15 by Robert Crewdson ( deleted ) , Sat Aug 29, 2015 8:12 pm

Hello Vidar, sorry it would have been an error when trying to comment on my mobile phone. I have corrected that. Since the forum started I have never read a post or comment I didn't like. I don't like colourised films; some films look better in monochrome. Laure & Hardy were the best double act, but I do like the routines of Abbott and Costello. The Naked Gun movies are good as well. Notice I said movies not films, that should tell you something about the format I have them in.

Robert Crewdson

#16 by Douglas Warren ( deleted ) , Sat Aug 29, 2015 8:22 pm

Robert,
I fully agree about colourised films as I remember the early attempts to do this back in the 1980's. Even more modern attempts which though they may look better,still take away from what the original filmmakers intended. It's a shame that most young audiences won't look twice at a black and white film. They're really missing so much in cinema with this narrow attitude.

Douglas Warren

#17 by Timothy Duncan ( deleted ) , Sat Aug 29, 2015 9:32 pm

If anyone was wondering, my last comment was a line from the movie "Airplane!" (1980)

Timothy Duncan

#18 by Oemer Yalinkilic , Sat Aug 29, 2015 9:41 pm

50´s Science Fiction Movies, but not every B-Feature, more the better features like movies from George Pal, Jack Arnold

Oemer Yalinkilic  
Oemer Yalinkilic
Date registered 08.17.2015
ThankYou 4

#19 by Hugh Thompson Scott ( deleted ) , Sat Aug 29, 2015 9:58 pm

"Surely you can't be serious?" .......... "Yes I can... and don't call me Shirley!!" One for Tim.

Hugh Thompson Scott

#20 by Timothy Duncan ( deleted ) , Sat Aug 29, 2015 10:46 pm

Speaking of "Airplane!" (1980), was it ever released on super 8?

Timothy Duncan
Last edited Sat Aug 29, 2015 10:49 pm | Top

#21 by Douglas Warren ( deleted ) , Sat Aug 29, 2015 10:53 pm

Tim,
It was released as a 400' digest, a 3 x 400' version and as a complete feature. If I recall correctly Marketing Films was the distributor.

Douglas Warren

#22 by Vidar Olavesen , Sat Aug 29, 2015 10:58 pm

I got the feature myself, paid about 15-20 GBP for it.

Decent colour

Vidar Olavesen
ThankYou 348

Last edited 08.29.2015 | Top

#23 by Timothy Duncan ( deleted ) , Sat Aug 29, 2015 11:04 pm

Now that's one I'll be looking out for! Thanks for the replies and screenshots!

Timothy Duncan

#24 by Robert Crewdson ( deleted ) , Sat Aug 29, 2015 11:41 pm

How about 'This is Captain Over', over.

Robert Crewdson

#25 by Vidar Olavesen , Sat Aug 29, 2015 11:42 pm

Roger, Roger

Vidar Olavesen