RE: Red and fading prints.

#26 by Timothy Duncan ( deleted ) , Fri Aug 28, 2015 11:09 pm

Robert,
I got a good laugh at your post! Our hobby seems to be more of a man's hobby (for the most part). My wife likes current films on the unmentionable current format. I usually don't watch those with her. I don't like them. An abundance of CGI's just irks me!

I'd much rather watch my going pink copy of "Close Encounters of the Third Kind"!

Vidar Olavesen likes this
Timothy Duncan

#27 by Andrew Woodcock ( deleted ) , Fri Aug 28, 2015 11:22 pm

I gotta say Tim, I love both but my my passion will always be with the screening of real film.

I have said before, there are films I've watched over a dozen times that I'd never watch more than once on my ceiling bolted box!

Andrew Woodcock

#28 by Vidar Olavesen , Fri Aug 28, 2015 11:39 pm

So many genius ways of not talking about the unmentionable :-) Love it, and I agree Timothy, I rather see a red print than the unmentionable counter part. Sadly, not all is easy to find on film

Vidar Olavesen
Date registered 08.02.2015
home: Sarpsborg, Norway
ThankYou 348

#29 by Andrew Woodcock ( deleted ) , Fri Aug 28, 2015 11:48 pm

Thought "The Ceiling Bolted Box" would be deemed acceptable by my good friend Vidar! Ha ha.
Btw Vidar let me know if you can make B/Pool?

I will pass over the film there if you can hopefully.

There is something uniquely passionate and magical about screening film on a cine projector, never been able to aptly quantify it, but once experienced, nothing else can or will ever substitute the feeling.

Andrew Woodcock
Last edited Fri Aug 28, 2015 11:54 pm | Top

#30 by Vidar Olavesen , Sat Aug 29, 2015 12:01 am

To put it like this, it's highly unlikely, if I buy those prints in Denmark. And I do not like to go back on my word and I really want those films. I am almost sure I can't make it now, unless we get a refinance loan

Hate to have so little money :-/

And that's quite acceptable with the box description :-)

Vidar Olavesen
Date registered 08.02.2015
home: Sarpsborg, Norway
ThankYou 348

Last edited 08.29.2015 | Top

#31 by Andrew Woodcock ( deleted ) , Sat Aug 29, 2015 12:09 am

I will post it then Vidar. Looks like it's my turn to take 200plus photos this year!
Let's hope I'm not rostered in all weekend! Lol

Andrew Woodcock
Last edited Sat Aug 29, 2015 12:11 am | Top

#32 by Robert Crewdson ( deleted ) , Sat Aug 29, 2015 12:23 am

Hugh and Timothy, I watch my films in my living room, I am limited to a 50 inch screen, which I put in front of the TV, the projector goes in the other corner, which is in front of the door to the kitchen. When I first began and my parents were alive, we used to make tea, get any eatables we wanted, then I set up the projector stand, switched on and quickly sat down while the countdown leader was on; and that's how it was for the next 90 mins to 2 hours. Afterwards I would gingerly move the projector as not to damage the bulb, so that we could get access to the kitchen for another cup of tea. The houses they build now are so small you would probably just fill a 40 inch screen.

As Andrew says, there is something magical about projecting a film, it not just about size anymore.

Robert Crewdson
Last edited Sat Aug 29, 2015 12:24 am | Top

#33 by David Hardy ( deleted ) , Sat Aug 29, 2015 10:13 am

Hahahahahaha ! Some collectors could state they are in the hobby to escape " the family" !

David Hardy

#34 by David Hardy ( deleted ) , Sat Aug 29, 2015 10:16 am

If the day ever arrives when all I can watch is Red/Pink or fading prints.
Then its farewell Film Collecting for me. However that wont happen as I always have my monochrome stock prints to fall back on.

David Hardy

#35 by Hugh Thompson Scott ( deleted ) , Sat Aug 29, 2015 12:32 pm

Wenn Sie hier auf Links zu eBay klicken und einen Kauf tätigen, kann dies dazu führen, dass diese Website eine Provision erhält.

It isn't a case of red or faded prints taking over ones collection David, just the one chance of owning a much
loved film "on film". Like I said earlier, the distributors back in the early '70s released some appalling colour
film, dupey & red tainted, but wanted top dollar for their efforts, we had to accept it, if we wanted the title.
When purchasing that rare title now, we know the score, so it is a case of do I just stick with excellent colour,
which lets face it, is getting less likely by the day, and more costly, some prints are $1000.00 upwards on ebay.
Imagine waiting years for a film on IB Tech or LPP, then it appears at an astronomical price that you can't afford,
or a fading, can be corrected to a point in colour for an affordable price. The first colour film that had perfect colour
on super 8 in the '70s was Walton's "Witchfinder General", the rest never came near. I managed recently to obtain
Joe Dante's personal print of this on 16mm, sold as fading, the screenshots were more than acceptable, as was the
print, quite good in fact and I didn't have to rob a shop to pay for it. As far as I'm concerned there is no contest,
remember video 's picture quality was not top rank either, but the public preferred it over film.

Hugh Thompson Scott
Last edited Sat Aug 29, 2015 12:34 pm | Top

#36 by Timothy Duncan ( deleted ) , Sat Aug 29, 2015 1:45 pm

I couldn't ever afford the films David (Dave) has in his collection.

Timothy Duncan

#37 by David Hardy ( deleted ) , Sat Aug 29, 2015 4:58 pm

If its red/pink or fading I really don't want to know even if it is on FILM. I recently turned down a much coveted print of Hammer's DRACULA on 16mm complete feature because it was fading. I do try to stick to my own personal "collecting criteria" and not allowed myself to get carried away
by my passion for film. Common sense has to prevail with me. After all why waste good money on a faded or fading print when that money could be used towards a better copy in the future ? Instant gratification is not a factor I allow to take over my reasoning.

David Hardy

#38 by David Hardy ( deleted ) , Sat Aug 29, 2015 5:00 pm

It must be "the canny Scotsman " in me that's to blame.

David Hardy

#39 by Robert Crewdson ( deleted ) , Sat Aug 29, 2015 5:55 pm

I mentioned before I have a digest (400ft) of 'Lawrence of Arabia'. this has turned red, so as far as I am concerned it is now a lost film, I don't have it. I also mentioned having a Laurel & Hardy B&W film printed on colour stock that has turned red, at least with this I can use filters Hugh sent me to turn this to a watchable sepia. I agree with you David on not spending good money on a fading film. It doesn't matter what the print looks like now, how will it look in 5 years time?

Robert Crewdson

#40 by Hugh Thompson Scott ( deleted ) , Sat Aug 29, 2015 10:26 pm

A shame you missed Derann's release of "Dracula" David, it is excellent colour and very good soundtrack ( s/8). On B/W prints, some of
them are suspect, not all perfect grading, dupes, poor lab work and prone to vinegar. On super 8, the B/W print on the whole was okay,
providing there was good master material available, or a decent lab to process it, remember the "soot 'n whitewash" of some prints.
A friend of mine, who has given up the hobby said of a print of L&H, "If I hadn't known it was them, I could have been watching anybody,
the features were just washed out!" Not only UK prints were at fault, the much vaunted Blackhawk Films produced their share of poor
prints as did Niles. I wish everyone shared your opinion on fading prints though, I have tried at least three times to get Corman's "Pit &
the Pendulum", always outbid the same with Dr Terror's House of Horrors" twice, and more recently "From Beyond the Grave" at least
three prints of that have eluded me. Two favourite Sci-Fi's have just been on ebay, "The Time Travellers", which was described as fading colour, the screen shots said otherwise, rich colour, "Angry Red Planet", beet red, but on this film it is acceptable as that was the gimmick when it was released to give the illusion of the red planet, both went for tidy sums, £ 136.00 for "Travellers" & £73.00 for "Angry", so obviously there are a few out there that covet these films as much as I.

Hugh Thompson Scott

Sidney Powell responds after Trump campaign says she is not part of legal team:
Topics

disconnected Reel-Chat Members online 2
Xobor Create your own Forum with Xobor