How often do you watch film?

#1 by Timothy Duncan ( deleted ) , Sat Aug 22, 2015 7:11 pm

For me, it's not often. Not because I don't enjoy it. My machines are not permanently set up, so it's an ordeal to bring it all down from the high shelves and set it up. Plus, my wife gets bored with it all. It's kind of a loner hobby for me. Sometimes, my daughter will watch too, but frequently gets up from the couch before a reel is over. I suppose that I watch once every week (or every two weeks) on average. Please don't crucify me!

Timothy Duncan

RE: How often do you watch film?

#2 by Vidar Olavesen , Sat Aug 22, 2015 7:23 pm

The first year and a half, I think I saw films every day. Nowadays, I feel sleepy a lot, so maybe two or three times a week I guess

Vidar Olavesen
Date registered 08.02.2015
home: Sarpsborg, Norway
ThankYou 348

#3 by Robert Crewdson ( deleted ) , Sat Aug 22, 2015 7:28 pm

I don't have a permanent set up either, so have to make several trips up and down stairs. At present I am watching about 3 or 4 times a week, sometimes I watch a movie on the TV as you can have too much of anything. Back in the 70s and 80s, I was buying or making films all the time, and hardly a day went by that I didn't have the projector out of it's box. When I worked nights, I would get up to find a film had arrived, I would lubricate it, and screen it straight away, then show it to my parents in the evening. So it had two outings in one day. I don't have a large collection of 16mm features, and storage is a problem, so it means I am watching the same ones fairly frequently, but that was the idea of buying them. I shall be unwinding after a hard day by getting out the projector in another few hours.

Robert Crewdson

#4 by Robert Crewdson ( deleted ) , Sat Aug 22, 2015 7:31 pm

Can anyone beat watching the same film 3 times in one week?

Robert Crewdson

#5 by Vidar Olavesen , Sat Aug 22, 2015 7:32 pm

My first 35mm, The Beverly Hillbillies I ran some 4 or 5 times the week I got it :-)

Vidar Olavesen
ThankYou 348

#6 by Robert Crewdson ( deleted ) , Sat Aug 22, 2015 7:39 pm

I don't think anyone is going to beat that Vidar.

Robert Crewdson

#7 by Panayotis A. Carayannis ( deleted ) , Sat Aug 22, 2015 7:42 pm

Once or twice a week.

Panayotis A. Carayannis

#8 by Timothy Duncan ( deleted ) , Sat Aug 22, 2015 9:07 pm

I find your answers most interesting guys. I guess I'm about average then. Thanks for your input.

Vidar, I feel sleepy a lot too. This is completely off topic, but I've been living with diabetes since I was 14. So I don't have the energy that I should at my age.

Robert, It's interesting to know someone else has to set it all up each and every time. If I had a permanent setup, I'd probably watch film more.

You both got me beat on watching the same film in one week. I still have a few reels that I've had for months that I haven't watched yet.

Timothy Duncan

#9 by Vidar Olavesen , Sat Aug 22, 2015 9:17 pm

I guess the diabetes could well be the cause. I had it since I was 15. It's under decent control now, but I was extremely depressed from the age of 17 and was not very careful. Tomorrow I might watch The Time Machine. Want to check what is missing. 2x800'

Vidar Olavesen
ThankYou 348

#10 by David Ollerearnshaw , Sat Aug 22, 2015 10:25 pm

One good thing from this thread, the health bit. I'm making appointment next week for my blood sugar to be tested. Went to diabetes site and I have a number of symptoms.

The Film bit. Not watched any film films for a few weeks, but sorry Vidar a couple on TV. Got loads to watch now the darker nights are coming though.

David Ollerearnshaw
Date registered 08.13.2015
home: Sheffield UK
ThankYou 61

#11 by Vidar Olavesen , Sat Aug 22, 2015 10:28 pm

:-) We all watch TV, just don't talk about it ;-)

What's a TV?

Vidar Olavesen
ThankYou 348

#12 by Douglas Warren ( deleted ) , Sat Aug 22, 2015 10:44 pm

I try to watch once a week but sometimes it winds up being every two weeks.Like Tim,my film hobby is a solitary thing since my girl doesn't have any interest in them. (She does support my film interest because it makes me happy.) I watch my films in my basement but do not have it permanently set up.

Douglas Warren

#13 by Timothy Duncan ( deleted ) , Sat Aug 22, 2015 11:38 pm

David, the chances are high that adult onset diabetes can be controlled with diet/oral medication. Juvenile diabetes (or type 1) requires taking insulin shots as opposed to the oral meds. That's what I do. But the shots are no big deal, as the needle is quite tiny. The hardest part for me is eating properly/healthy. Sorry this is SOOO off topic fellows! But then again, Vidar mentioned a T.V. (shame, shame)! LOL!!

Timothy Duncan

#14 by Vidar Olavesen , Sat Aug 22, 2015 11:42 pm

Well, I told not to talk about it ;-)

Vidar Olavesen
ThankYou 348

#15 by Timothy Duncan ( deleted ) , Sat Aug 22, 2015 11:46 pm

I know, I'm just giving you a hard time Vidar! Usually, if I don't watch film, I don't watch anything (except maybe old "Top of the Pops" episodes from the 70's on YouTube)!

Vidar Olavesen likes this
Timothy Duncan

#16 by Robert Crewdson ( deleted ) , Sun Aug 23, 2015 12:58 pm

Hi Timothy, due to the size of my living room, I am limited to a 50 inch screen, but that's Ok. The TV is in one corner, and I shift a chair so I can put my screen in front of the TV, then the projector goes in the other corner. It would be nice to have a permanent set up with a larger screen, but this is how I have had to do it for the past 42 years. No problem, it's just the many journeys up and down stairs, Projector, reels, films, screen, stand. then carrying it all back.

I don't think anyone minds if we go off topic a bit at times. I was thinking yesterday of that saying 'Every dark cloud has a silver lining'; if it wasn't for the loss of film libraries, and the TV stations showing digital instead of real film, then 16mm features wouldn't be available; so something good came out of it.

Mats Abelli likes this
Robert Crewdson

#17 by Vidar Olavesen , Sun Aug 23, 2015 2:29 pm

Happy to have motorized screen. Always hanging in the right place :-)

David Ollerearnshaw likes this

Vidar Olavesen
ThankYou 348

#18 by David Ollerearnshaw , Sun Aug 23, 2015 5:07 pm

Now I have made of few alterations in living room. I should be OK to use my 72" screen soon. Plus where I put it will hide the TV. Might be needing a new screen though, its going on for 40 years.

David Ollerearnshaw
Date registered 08.13.2015
home: Sheffield UK
ThankYou 61

#19 by Andrew Woodcock ( deleted ) , Mon Aug 24, 2015 11:53 am

When my living room is all back to normal, I typically use my projectors combined for at least 15 to 20 hours a week.

It helps being a shift worker as it gives me plenty of free time alone in the home to meddle with film in one capacity or another.

I like to obtain a new film, then decide how to spool it, then make custom artwork and storage boxes for it and then, whenever possible remaster the soundtrack into stereo from lossless digital sources. It all takes huge amounts of my time but I find my endeavours satisfy me enough to make me believe it's all worth while on the very best prints.

Andrew Woodcock
Last edited Mon Aug 24, 2015 11:55 am | Top

#20 by Tom Photiou , Mon Aug 31, 2015 10:04 am

I am very fortunate to have a dedicated room permenantly set up. I do wish I was a DIY enthusiast because I would love to be able to have a nice built in screen with curtains or movable sides to switch from 4.3 to scope. , however, as I have a room I do watch films be it a shorts and trailers evening,cartoon mixes or a mini or full feature around 3/4 evenings a week.
Later I will post some pictures. Hopefully some of you talented chaps could give me some ideas how you would change it.
Oddly enough though I would never want a separate projector booth, I do like to be beside ky projectors and a part of the audience, recently with the addition of the bauer t610 this is now more friendly as it is sooooo very quite running.

Tom Photiou
Date registered 08.14.2015
home: Plymouth. UK
ThankYou 548

#21 by Hugh Thompson Scott ( deleted ) , Sat Sep 05, 2015 10:17 pm

As often as I can, not as often as I would wish, but usually a couple of times per week at best.

Hugh Thompson Scott

#22 by Andrew Woodcock ( deleted ) , Sat Sep 05, 2015 10:35 pm

about 15 hours a week doing something involving film, but watching films... about 5 hours per week on average depending on my shift pattern.

Andrew Woodcock

#23 by Douglas Warren ( deleted ) , Sun Sep 06, 2015 6:43 pm

I'm moving more into 16mm so hopefully I can set up a more dedicated area for my film watching.

Douglas Warren

#24 by Robert Crewdson ( deleted ) , Sun Sep 06, 2015 7:22 pm

Have you got to get your projector sorted, or do you have another one. Have you got some 16mm films?

Robert Crewdson

#25 by Douglas Warren ( deleted ) , Sun Sep 06, 2015 8:39 pm

Hi Robert,
I picked up a Kodak Pageant the other day.This evening I'll looking the machine over to make sure everything is in good working order. I picked up an abridged copy of the 1935 film "David Copperfield" plus a couple of short subjects. I also plan on collecting trailers (something I really enjoy) and picked up my first one recently " A Bridge Too Far."

Douglas Warren

Sidney Powell responds after Trump campaign says she is not part of legal team:
Vidar vs Woodenator!

disconnected Reel-Chat Members online 0
Xobor Create your own Forum with Xobor