Picture Quality on Super 8 mm

#1 by Deleted User , Sat Aug 22, 2015 1:58 pm

Hi Everyone,
How are your Super 8mm prints holding up ?
Some of my MGM titles are turning
Ben-Hur turning red
How The West Was Won turning brown and pink
Ivanhoe as above

Tony Laing

Attached pictures:
Ben-Hur (1959)-2.jpg   How The Was Won-3.jpg   Ivanhoe-2.jpg  

RE: Picture Quality on Super 8 mm

#2 by Vidar Olavesen , Sat Aug 22, 2015 2:18 pm

I have plenty red ones myself, but they were bought that way. None have turned red, but then again, only collected two and a half years. I assume it takes longer, but Norway is probably a good country for film preservation.

Vidar Olavesen
Date registered 08.02.2015
home: Sarpsborg, Norway
ThankYou 344

#3 by Andrew Woodcock ( deleted ) , Sat Aug 22, 2015 2:19 pm

Like with all film Tony, it very much depends on the stock and other factors surrounding your storage conditions.

Prints on film stock printed after 1982 are all very very good in my collection and just like one mentioned in my latest posts, some films even from my childhood can still be extremely good for colour if kept correctly.

Some of the best Derann later Super 8mm prints from top quality negatives can really rival 16mm prints and with the right projector and lens behind it can give off beautiful sharp colourful images on a 10ft screen minimum. Here is an example of what i mean on my 10ft diagonal electric home screen:

These were taken from a very ordinary compact digital camera with no airbrushing etc.

Andrew Woodcock
Last edited Sat Aug 22, 2015 2:28 pm | Top

#4 by Andrew Woodcock ( deleted ) , Sat Aug 22, 2015 3:08 pm

and another Ive just just found:

Andrew Woodcock

#5 by Vidar Olavesen , Sat Aug 22, 2015 3:10 pm

I can't say I've seen any better than this (Hugh might remember this)

People ask me if it's 16mm. Absolutely gorgeous

Mats Abelli likes this

Vidar Olavesen
Date registered 08.02.2015
home: Sarpsborg, Norway
ThankYou 344

Last edited 08.22.2015 | Top

#6 by Robert Crewdson ( deleted ) , Sat Aug 22, 2015 4:41 pm

Most of my collection is B&W; I do have a Columbia digest of 'Lawrence of Arabia', and that has turned red. I have a copy of 'Tree in a Test Tube', which was sold originally by Collectors Club in the 80s, and the colour looks unchanged; haven't checked to see what stock it is on.

Robert Crewdson

#7 by Andrew Woodcock ( deleted ) , Sat Aug 22, 2015 4:41 pm

Yes I've seen you feature it before Vidar but as said previously, a simply stunning Red Fox print!

They are all out there and plenty of em!

Vidar Olavesen likes this
Andrew Woodcock

#8 by David Hardy ( deleted ) , Sat Aug 22, 2015 5:42 pm

I am so annoyed that some of my prints on 8 mill. and 16 mill. have turned red/pink or are going that way. My face is now beaming RED with disenchantment and anger. What a waste of money that was !!! Its enough to make a man turn to the "D" word I tell you.
OH NO now I have turned green.

David Hardy
Last edited Sat Aug 22, 2015 5:43 pm | Top

#9 by Robert Crewdson ( deleted ) , Sat Aug 22, 2015 5:49 pm

I feel sorry for those folks that paid in excess of £300 for a super 8 colour feature if it's turning red.

Robert Crewdson

#10 by Timothy Duncan ( deleted ) , Sat Aug 22, 2015 5:52 pm

I have two MGM prints Tony. One is somewhat faded, one is nearly completely pink. Too bad because sound quality on both is good. All my other color reels have varying degrees of fading.

Timothy Duncan

#11 by David Hardy ( deleted ) , Sun Aug 23, 2015 12:45 am

I want my money back . hahaha !!!

David Hardy

#12 by Mats Abelli , Sun Aug 23, 2015 7:49 am

You can always sell your turned prints to Vidar. At the right price he accept red/pink prints, if he don´t have a copy in his collection. I feel really sad, when I see my old friends from the 60´s and 70´s turning. Hopefully I can find prints on better stock to replace my favourites.

Mats Abelli
Date registered 08.03.2015
home: Nättraby, Sweden
ThankYou 112

#13 by Andrew Woodcock ( deleted ) , Sun Aug 23, 2015 9:01 am

The problem is Mats, for the vast majority of the titles that were printed in the era's preceding 1982, then there is little opportunity of finding them again on anything different.

I like collecting the Viacom Elvis features on 8 and with the exception of the 3x400ft cut down of Viva Las Vegas released by Derann in the late 80's and the 90's on low fade stock, the rest of his films you just find yourself swapping one faded print for another slightly better less faded one as that's all that's out there of these titles unfortunately.

Andrew Woodcock

#14 by Mats Abelli , Sun Aug 23, 2015 9:17 am

That´s sad. I have only one Elvis feature on Super 8. It´s King Creole. As it´s B/W I really hope it´s on B/W stock. I have a lot of Disney cartoons made by film Office, Paris, in the 60´s. They´re all red by now. Sometimes I find better 16mm or 35mm prints, but as you say, they are not always on low fade stock.

Mats Abelli
Date registered 08.03.2015
home: Nättraby, Sweden
ThankYou 112

#15 by Hugh Thompson Scott ( deleted ) , Mon Aug 24, 2015 1:26 am

Love all those pics and comments, Mats is wise with his B/W print, but take heart, of all these titles, especially the acetate stock,
nice colour prints still turn up, not everyone had the heating on full whack, some of these films were probably cherished or just forgotten in some cold cellar or crypt! Take it from me, excellent colour prints are still out their, my "Ivanhoe" is lovely, mentioned in reviews was Liz Taylors orange lipstick! Whatever the faults, it is FILM, red print or not, chances are it'll still be here when technology has moved on yet again, our humble collections will still be giving fun & pleasure to those of like mind.

Hugh Thompson Scott

Sidney Powell responds after Trump campaign says she is not part of legal team:
A studio B quality.

disconnected Reel-Chat Members online 0
Xobor Create your own Forum with Xobor