Input to the FORUM

#1 by David Hardy ( deleted ) , Thu Aug 20, 2015 7:10 pm

I just did a quick analysis of the actual input from all members in terms of Topics and Picture Galleries.
Just over half of the registered members have actually contributed something at all.
Of those only a small minority are opening up NEW TOPICS or THREADS.
Some appear to be merely posting in the Picture Galleries and chasing the STAR RATINGS trying to score as much points as possible.
Something is not right here and a more even balance needs to be maintained. Its really not fair on those few members who have LESS STARS and POINTS as these few are actually the ones that are keeping this FORUM active as a Forum. I am now wondering why certain members even registered onto a FORUM in the first place if they are not going to discuss and interact with other members. So WHY are they here. ???
Just saying as this is worrying me.

Mats Abelli likes this
David Hardy
Last edited Thu Aug 20, 2015 7:12 pm | Top

RE: Input to the FORUM

#2 by Timothy Duncan ( deleted ) , Thu Aug 20, 2015 10:10 pm

Yes Dave, it looks like I'm stalled at three stars for now. It seems that the film reviews are going to be my baby. Have I set the bar too high or something? It did take me three hours total for my last review from start to finish. The time spent was watching the reel twice, taking/downloading/editing photos, writing the review from notes, rewriting the review, proofreading, and uploading photos. All for an 8 minute reel. But I did enjoy the fruits of my labor. I just hope you guys like reviews about digests cause that's all you're gonna get (LOL!!!!!)

Timothy Duncan

#3 by David Hardy ( deleted ) , Thu Aug 20, 2015 10:22 pm

Just you keep those reviews coming at your own speed Timothy. Its a shame you don't already have the 5 Star Rating already after all the time and work you have put in up until now. Forget the Star Rating systems I am awarding you a David Hardy Motion Picture Institute Special Oscar right now....hahaha !!!

David Hardy

#4 by Robert Crewdson ( deleted ) , Thu Aug 20, 2015 10:41 pm

I enjoyed the review Timothy; I don't understand the star ratings, and how does it work?. Last week I looked at the members list when it stood at about 25, and found most had not been back since the day they registered. I don't know why most of them joined if they have no interest in visiting, and contributing. Now that we are easier to find on the internet, I think any new additions will be people who have something to say.

Robert Crewdson

#5 by Douglas Warren ( deleted ) , Fri Aug 21, 2015 3:12 am

I too was wondering how the star rating system worked,and its purpose. Maybe like many forums there's simply more lurkers than people posting.

Douglas Warren

#6 by Hugh Thompson Scott ( deleted ) , Mon Aug 24, 2015 12:49 am

Well chaps, you can't force conversation, people will become part of the group as time goes on, early days, although I share
the feeling of our present members on folk who have joined and gone silent, still its a lovely friendly place, as they'll see for
themselves, with lots to share.

Hugh Thompson Scott

#7 by Robert Crewdson ( deleted ) , Mon Aug 24, 2015 11:14 am

We are more active than some of the other forums (not including 8mm Film Tech), but it's the same 6 or 7 people who are keeping this running.

Robert Crewdson

#8 by Timothy Duncan ( deleted ) , Mon Aug 24, 2015 11:38 am

It is my mission to post often.

Timothy Duncan

#9 by Andrew Woodcock ( deleted ) , Mon Aug 24, 2015 11:39 am

These things take time to generate interest I find.
If the forum remains a friendly undemanding and understanding place to be within, numbers will grow and various people will post. I am confident in that.
Newcomers may often feel intimidated to begin with, especially if they feel they can only ask what they feel "are silly questions".

It's everyone's job on here I feel, to make everyone feel welcomed and comfortable on here and explain to them all...there are no silly questions

Andrew Woodcock
Last edited Mon Aug 24, 2015 11:40 am | Top

#10 by Timothy Duncan ( deleted ) , Mon Aug 24, 2015 11:44 am

Awesome post Andrew! I agree completely with you on that!

Timothy Duncan

#11 by Vidar Olavesen , Mon Aug 24, 2015 12:11 pm

So true Andrew. I remember when I joined 8mm forum, all my post started in that manner

"Another silly question ..."

I do hope we can keep it friendly. Undemanding? We do demand film talk, no digital, but hope that's a demand to live with

Vidar Olavesen
Date registered 08.02.2015
home: Sarpsborg, Norway
ThankYou 344

Last edited 08.24.2015 | Top

#12 by Andrew Woodcock ( deleted ) , Mon Aug 24, 2015 12:17 pm

Suits me Vidar, and thank you both for your kind words.

Andrew Woodcock

#13 by Vidar Olavesen , Mon Aug 24, 2015 12:35 pm

Seeing the 8mm forum today, that's not something I hope happens here ... Most used now is General Yak :-(

Vidar Olavesen
Date registered 08.02.2015
home: Sarpsborg, Norway
ThankYou 344

Sidney Powell responds after Trump campaign says she is not part of legal team:
Film Crazing.

disconnected Reel-Chat Members online 0
Xobor Create your own Forum with Xobor