Film Collector Magazine

#1 by Barry Attwood ( deleted ) , Wed Aug 19, 2015 11:41 am

I've recently sent Phil at CHC part 2 of my article about my travels at becoming a film dealer, and I was wondering how many members get his magazine, as I was talking to one of my regular buyers who still doesn't buy it, which came as a real surprise to me. Considering Phil's ongoing health issues, I'm amazed he has the stamina and energy to print this mag three times a year. Each issue (in my opinion) is getting better, and this hobby needs a magazine like this, and considering how much some collectors are willing to pay for some titles, a few pounds a year supporting this venture surely is worth it, I pay my subs once a year like everyone else, as well as writing a page for each issue (Phil's always looking for articles, why not have a go!), so if I can do it, what about you!

Vidar Olavesen likes this
Barry Attwood

RE: Film Collector Magazine

#2 by Vidar Olavesen , Wed Aug 19, 2015 11:50 am

I certainly have a subscription. I subscribe to two, Phil's and our Norwegian club magazine, Film Forum

likes this

Vidar Olavesen
Date registered 08.02.2015
home: Sarpsborg, Norway
ThankYou 348

#3 by David Hardy ( deleted ) , Wed Aug 19, 2015 12:08 pm

Yes Barry I fully agree with you. Not enough support for Phil's Magazine. It would be sad to lose it.

David Hardy

#4 by Vidar Olavesen , Wed Aug 19, 2015 12:24 pm

I do not feel up to writing an article myself. But Timothy, your reviews are very well written, and should consider sending Phil some reviews maybe?

Vidar Olavesen
Date registered 08.02.2015
home: Sarpsborg, Norway
ThankYou 348

#5 by Robert Crewdson ( deleted ) , Wed Aug 19, 2015 1:11 pm

I have sent him two film reviews.

Robert Crewdson

#6 by Andrew Woodcock ( deleted ) , Wed Aug 26, 2015 10:58 pm

I have had our fellow collecting friend and indeed forum member here, Mr Tom Photiou on to me for some time to write some projector reviews and repair / maintenance procedures to hand over to Phil for some time now.

It's one of those things that if there were 30 hours in a day, I know I'd definitely love to do it, but all these type of things take time and that sadly, is something that I never seem to have surplus of with all of my other endeavours.

I do agree though, we should all try and do our bit to keep these gallant efforts alive.
Well done Barry, Robert and all others for doing your bit.

Andrew Woodcock
Last edited Wed Aug 26, 2015 10:59 pm | Top

#7 by Hugh Thompson Scott ( deleted ) , Wed Aug 26, 2015 11:32 pm

I fully agree with all your views, Phil does nothing short of a miracle, the man is not in the best of health, yet he, like Vidar, has
gone to great lengths to produce a tidy publication ( Vidar pulled a rabbit from the hat with this forum ) both deserve our gratitude.
Barry's articles are always a good read, Tom has some great maintenance advice which I'm sure Andrew can add to, those posts on
projector advice should be transposed to print on paper. Vidar, I'm sure an article on your growing collection would be of great interest to all, David I'm sure can tell us about life as a professional projectionist, indeed everyone on here must have a tale to tell, remember the old adage, "use it or lose it", and lets be honest, our hobby can't afford to lose anymore. As Phil repeatedly says, "It is YOUR magazine", so lets help fill it.

Hugh Thompson Scott

#8 by Andrew Woodcock ( deleted ) , Thu Aug 27, 2015 12:43 am

What outstanding words of wisdom there Hugh!

Now I knew there was a reason why I thought this forum would be like a breath of fresh air to me!

Must try and fit it all in soon then once this damned decorating is finished and I can get my screen in place again.

Andrew Woodcock
Last edited Thu Aug 27, 2015 12:45 am | Top

#9 by Hugh Thompson Scott ( deleted ) , Thu Aug 27, 2015 11:04 pm

Thank you Andrew for those kind words, I'm starting to think I should grow the beard a bit longer and be a sooth sayer.

Hugh Thompson Scott

#10 by Tom Photiou , Sat Aug 29, 2015 9:56 am

Now this is a topic i like.
On the other forum i have often asked people on Phil's behalf to do something as he has told me himself if he doesn't get help from the collectors the magazine will not be able to continue.
I use to do a fair bit for the old magazine from Derann and now i try hard to contribute to this one.
One topic that i feel Phil would very much like is the basic servicing and repairs of our Projectors.
On all the Forums there are many talented people, some have even been repairing projectors for years, so in answer to the question, i dont know how many people do subscribe but im sure its a fair few, and i for one would very much enjoy reading full reviews of different machines but even better, how to maintain them with tips on servicing/lubricating or even modifying them.
We all spend time on our computors reading and contributing to the forum/s so how about spending around 15/20 per evening for a short time and put together something? Just a few minuites per night will add up to some great items for the mag

Tom Photiou
Date registered 08.14.2015
home: Plymouth. UK
ThankYou 548

#11 by Tom Photiou , Mon Aug 31, 2015 9:54 am

Hey Andrew.sounds like you could with an extra week in Cornwall. You could use it as your writing week. Agatha Andrew

Tom Photiou
Date registered 08.14.2015
home: Plymouth. UK
ThankYou 548

Sidney Powell responds after Trump campaign says she is not part of legal team:
Ebay projectors

disconnected Reel-Chat Members online 0
Xobor Create your own Forum with Xobor