ThankYou 348

RE: Guest should not be allowed to read anymore

#2 by Timothy Duncan ( deleted ) , Mon Aug 17, 2015 11:55 am

I'm in agreement!

Vidar Olavesen likes this
Timothy Duncan

#3 by Mats Abelli , Mon Aug 17, 2015 12:29 pm

I agree. Anyone who wants to read our posts is welcome to register. We can do without Curius George.

Mats Abelli
Date registered 08.03.2015
home: Nättraby, Sweden
ThankYou 112

#4 by Vidar Olavesen , Mon Aug 17, 2015 12:32 pm

I am not sure ... I think the activity log is still on, can't seem to get it away

Anyone tested with a guest login?

Vidar Olavesen
Date registered 08.02.2015
home: Sarpsborg, Norway
ThankYou 348

#5 by Deleted User , Mon Aug 17, 2015 12:50 pm

Vidar,
The page now says an error occurred and access is denied
So you have the option to log in or register

Tony Laing

#6 by Vidar Olavesen , Mon Aug 17, 2015 12:58 pm

Sounds good :-) I tried the search and got Picture Gallery, but think I removed that now.

Vidar Olavesen
ThankYou 348

#7 by Hugh Thompson Scott ( deleted ) , Mon Aug 17, 2015 3:51 pm

Hi Vidar and fellow members, I can see the point of making it viewable only to a select few, but somehow I think maybe we act in haste.
I understand why, but can't help thinking that it is "hiding ones light under a bushel" so to speak. Vidar and Robert have done a super job
in creating this forum, film only, but friendly being the operative word. I believe it removes us from "the word being spread", another forum chose this route and stagnates, this is a young plant as yet that will grow, but not if you hide it from view. Vidar is one of the few, a genuine person who loves his hobby madly. truly, deeply, don't let the dissenters, and we know who they are, spoil your dream
of a 100% film forum. I'm not thinking of the "young blood", but the seasoned collectors that WILL eventually join up as the talk of DVD
presentation gets, dare I say "old hat". It isn't a competition, all the forums share membership, I only joined the other two forums, they both were open at the time, to alert a member of availability of a film he was searching for, if they had been closed, I couldn't have done that, perhaps a test period to try out this new idea, but I do think it is a shame to keep all this knowledge secret, does it really
matter if someone downloads a picture or manual, surely we are not that petty, our hobby is in decline as it is, why add to it. Please
feel free to tear me apart.

Hugh Thompson Scott

#8 by Vidar Olavesen , Mon Aug 17, 2015 3:58 pm

Good points there, Hugh. Maybe we think about it and reopen it again. Robert, David and the rest of you? It's our forum, so we want to hear from you all. I was maybe hasty to close it for guests.

Vidar Olavesen
ThankYou 348

Last edited 08.17.2015 | Top

#9 by Hugh Thompson Scott ( deleted ) , Mon Aug 17, 2015 4:11 pm

Hi Vidar, I'm on a break from cutting bloody grass, but it is your forum, your decision, I was just making salient points.
I shall now beat a hasty retreat back to the safety of the garden before the brickbats fly. Tee hee, and a chuckle.

Hugh Thompson Scott

#10 by Vidar Olavesen , Mon Aug 17, 2015 4:17 pm

Do not want it to be mine, it's ours. All views will be considered. Of course, we are probably not all in agreement all the time. But democratic is probably good. Your points are very valid, Hugh, and I have the utmost respect for you and your views. (Is utmost respect correct? Means I have a lot of respect, or am I wrong? English isn't my first language :-))

Vidar Olavesen
ThankYou 348

#11 by Hugh Thompson Scott ( deleted ) , Mon Aug 17, 2015 4:36 pm

The first is correct Vidar, and may I say your command of the English language is impeccable, far better than my Norwegian.
The forum really is your "baby" and we respect your decision, it is up to you, you call the shots. My concern was for more members, it doesn't matter if they belong to other forums, or carry tales, the bottom line is that you have now established your wish, FILM ONLY, fair
enough, your membership is growing by the day, I can only put it down to its originator, who is loved on ALL the other forums, please don't spoil the goodwill you have, I just have a reputation as a bastard, but you are beloved by everyone, keep it that way, please.

Hugh Thompson Scott

#12 by Vidar Olavesen , Mon Aug 17, 2015 4:44 pm

I won't do more discussion on the other forum though, not about this argument. But, still want it to be our forum, as we are all loving our hobby, film collecting and projecting. And all that follows with it :-) Robert was just a big part of it, if I hadn't talked to him, I wouldn't have started it. I only created the shell, the forum is hopefully alive for a long time with more and more film lovers

Thank you Hugh, you are also a big reason for wanting to start it, missed all your posts on the other forums when you left. You are a remarkable man

I hope to be friends with you all for a loooong time

Thanks to everyone

Vidar Olavesen
ThankYou 348

#13 by Robert Crewdson ( deleted ) , Mon Aug 17, 2015 4:47 pm

We want new members to join us, and making the forum only open to members might defeat that object. Initially I was in favour and made the suggestion, because it seemed that some of those that criticise us were interested enough to spend time reading our posts. They still don't see the problem, saying that the forum will be restricted; that was the whole point of setting it up. I watch movies in other formats, but a forum supposedly for collectors of cine film and projectors is not the place to discuss it. So I think we had best stay open Vidar, we always have the option to change that in the future. Thanks to Hugh for his wise advice.

Robert Crewdson
Last edited Mon Aug 17, 2015 4:49 pm | Top

#14 by Robert Crewdson ( deleted ) , Mon Aug 17, 2015 4:52 pm

You didn't act hasty alone Vidar, anyway, by now, everyone there is aware of the new forum, and what we are about.

Vidar Olavesen sais Thank You!
Robert Crewdson

#15 by Hugh Thompson Scott ( deleted ) , Mon Aug 17, 2015 5:23 pm

Honestly lads, you place me on a pedestal that I do not in any way , shape or form deserve,I am just a humble, but proud workman, you
chaps have done something that is commendable, a friendly forum, a talking space for lovers of film, yes FILM, surely all are welcome, the std 8 men ( me ) and the super 8 guys ( me) the 16mm followers ( me ) and the 9.5 men. the 35mm millionaires, the
people like Donald Trump that can afford 70mm fer Christ sake, yes all those chaps, Vidar's forum welcomes you, but NO digital.
Anyway, must get back to the grass, will join up later.

The following members like this: Vidar Olavesen and David Ollerearnshaw
Hugh Thompson Scott
Last edited Mon Aug 17, 2015 5:24 pm | Top

#16 by Douglas Warren ( deleted ) , Mon Aug 17, 2015 5:35 pm

I say we keep it open for visitors for the meantime. Maybe for a 90 day period and then make a decision? It gives curiosity seekers a chance to check the forum out before registering.Just my two cents (or whatever your monetary denomination may be .)

Douglas Warren

#17 by Vidar Olavesen , Fri Sep 25, 2015 2:37 pm

Got a PM about the forum being open. Any new thoughts on this? We could get more members closing it for guests

Vidar Olavesen
ThankYou 348

#18 by Douglas Warren ( deleted ) , Fri Sep 25, 2015 2:54 pm

Vidar,
I stand by my original opinion which was to keep it open a bit longer and then make it member only to read the content.

Douglas Warren

#19 by Hugh Thompson Scott ( deleted ) , Fri Sep 25, 2015 3:07 pm

My own personal opinion, for what it's worth, Doug's 8mm forum I still believe is open, it serves a very loyal fan base, is a little
gold mine of information and it is there for all. There are others that have brought down the shutters, and not a lot seems to happen
from day to day. I always think that if it has to be a secret society, there is something to hide, there will always be the "lurkers", and some may even swell the ranks eventually. The tag line is "we are a friendly forum", locking ourselves away surely means ostracising
the very people who might want to join.

Hugh Thompson Scott

#20 by Robert Crewdson ( deleted ) , Fri Sep 25, 2015 3:10 pm

I think we should follow Hugh's advice and keep it open. There is no guarantee that any of the 50 plus guests will sign up if we make it closed to non members.

Robert Crewdson

#21 by Dave Alligan , Fri Sep 25, 2015 3:26 pm

I don't know if this helps but its like a shop window, if you walk to a shop and look at the window and see what the shop has to offer you are more than likely to go inside, but if you walk to a shop that has the windows where you cant see nothing on display you are more than likely to walk away.

Dave Alligan  
Dave Alligan
Date registered 09.23.2015
home: Felixstowe
ThankYou 11

#22 by Andrew Woodcock ( deleted ) , Fri Sep 25, 2015 3:59 pm

I must have missed something here????

Why has all of this talk of locking down the forum come about???

Andrew Woodcock

#23 by Deleted User , Fri Sep 25, 2015 4:14 pm

I for one would be in support of making this forum available to members only.

Regards,

Ole

#24 by Vidar Olavesen , Fri Sep 25, 2015 4:14 pm

Got a PM with concerns about it being open. Not easy, some want it closed and some open.

Vidar Olavesen
ThankYou 348

#25 by Robert Crewdson ( deleted ) , Fri Sep 25, 2015 4:15 pm

I don't why it's reared its head again Andrew, but it was something we talked about some time ago, when members of the 8mm Film Tech Forum were criticising us, but interested enough to read our posts. Someone even knew that we had considered locking the forum.

Robert Crewdson

Sidney Powell responds after Trump campaign says she is not part of legal team:
Photo Renaming Option

disconnected Reel-Chat Members online 3
Xobor Create your own Forum with Xobor