What do you feel about the forum?

#1 by Vidar Olavesen , Sat Aug 15, 2015 3:52 pm

I got some negative remarks on the 8mm forum about starting another forum. Is it too much with 3? What's your thoughts on it?

Vidar Olavesen
Date registered 08.02.2015
home: Sarpsborg, Norway
ThankYou 344

RE: What do you feel about the forum?

#2 by Robert Crewdson ( deleted ) , Sat Aug 15, 2015 3:58 pm

There is 4 if you include 16mm filmtalk, which also caters for other gauges. Why not, why shouldn't we have another forum. Already we have lots of interesting material to read. Thank Tony Laing for those adverts from A.C.W.. The hostility is because you called their dedication into question; apart from the frequent hostile remarks I read from a minority, the forum was becoming less interesting to me. I didn't join it to read about the latest DVD box sets.

Vidar Olavesen likes this
Robert Crewdson
Last edited Sat Aug 15, 2015 4:06 pm | Top

#3 by Mats Abelli , Sat Aug 15, 2015 4:34 pm

I have found that this forum is exactly fit for me. I get in contact with friendly collectors, that also love film on reels. Other forums tend to have discussions about things that don´t interrest me at all. Keep up the good work

Mats Abelli
Date registered 08.03.2015
home: Nättraby, Sweden
ThankYou 112

Last edited 08.15.2015 | Top

#4 by Robert Crewdson ( deleted ) , Sat Aug 15, 2015 4:43 pm

Thanks Mats; just a bit disappointed that so many signed up on the first day or two, then were never seen again. No point in being a member. I think we have about 7 or 8 active members and they are all great, and knowledgeable. I think we have done really well seeing as it was only just over a week ago that Vidar and I discussed the setting of it up. It's early days, and I think others will join us, others that want to play a big part. Thank you all for your contributions, every one is appreciated. I think it's safe to say that we are established; ignore any criticism, we are here to stay..

Robert Crewdson

#5 by Robert Crewdson ( deleted ) , Sat Aug 15, 2015 4:59 pm

Actually, there is a 5th Forum, called the Jubilee Regal Home Cinema; cine now plays a very minute part, as the owner, a former projectionist sold his projectors and moved on to the unmentionable. Someone in the Facebook group questioned my statement about some of the forums not being very active, well this one is a good example, in one of the categories, the last post was in 2011.

Robert Crewdson

#6 by Timothy Duncan ( deleted ) , Sat Aug 15, 2015 5:19 pm

It's not the first time someone has left 'that forum' to start another. I started a blog about film collecting after I left there because I wanted to share my thoughts without criticism. I'm in control of that and if anyone places a comment that I don't agree with or like, I can put a stop to it. Not so with a forum. I don't want some smart alecs making my attempts at involvement in the hobby unpleasant. No is my answer to the question. 3, 5, 10 forums...it's not too much. There's no patent on a forum or blog about film or any other subject. If this statement makes anyone here uncomfortable or rubs them the wrong way, it is because they still have a strong connection to that 'other forum'. I wouldn't put it past someone now, or later to join here so they can try to make things sour here. Don't be naive, be aware.

This forum contains the kind of content that I have a use for. The moderators have been welcoming to me and I appreciate it so very much.

Timothy Duncan
Last edited Sat Aug 15, 2015 5:21 pm | Top

#7 by Vidar Olavesen , Sat Aug 15, 2015 5:28 pm

Thank you, we are happy to have you here and you contribute a lot here. Love to hear everyones experiences, about films you like and I like the passion, which I feel is higher here. Thanks all and hope we can welcome new members soon. We don't need thousands, just the dedicated ones

Vidar Olavesen
ThankYou 344

Last edited 08.15.2015 | Top

#8 by Timothy Duncan ( deleted ) , Sat Aug 15, 2015 5:48 pm

I can vouch that myself and Douglas W. (my long distance pal) are very dedicated to our hobby!

Timothy Duncan

#9 by Vidar Olavesen , Sat Aug 15, 2015 5:58 pm

I do feel the right vibes here, so I believe you :-)

Hope we can keep this going and get more friends. I consider many friends already.

Vidar Olavesen
ThankYou 344

#10 by Hugh Thompson Scott ( deleted ) , Sat Aug 15, 2015 6:33 pm

I wouldn't let any adverse comments upset you my friend, your forum bears testimony to a true film collector, the good folk that
have taken the trouble to join up show that you are not alone in your belief of a film only forum. There are other forums true, there
might be others we don't know of, surely there is room for all. Many film buffs belong to them all, why not, we all share a love of celluloid ( I know its acetate etc, you know what I mean ) as opposed to electronic means of watching a photoplay. More power
to your collective elbow Vidar, at least you know you are among friends who wish you only the best.

Hugh Thompson Scott

#11 by Vidar Olavesen , Sat Aug 15, 2015 6:43 pm

Thanks, Hugh ... The comments they made that it would water down the existing forums (do not remember exactly what they said, as they deleted it)

I really feel less welcome after we started this forum, here I feel a more friendly tone (hope that continues) ...

You are all lovely folks here and I rather have 1 good friend than 10 aquantances, so the number count isn't that important. I learn new stuff every day from what you're posting, so please continue doing that. Thanks again to all

Vidar Olavesen
ThankYou 344

#12 by Robert Crewdson ( deleted ) , Sat Aug 15, 2015 7:20 pm

Do they feel the same about the other Forums?; the Small format Film Forum was begun because the moderator left that other forum, under some sort of cloud, which he won't talk about, but which obviously still affects him. I don't think we pose a threat to that forum, but we are here for those who like us want to discuss cine projectors and film.

Question for Hugh: is Celluloid nitrate films?, as cellulose comes from wood, was that the source for that product?

Robert Crewdson

#13 by Douglas Warren ( deleted ) , Sat Aug 15, 2015 11:00 pm

Personally I am enjoying this forum very much as here all (I feel) are made to feel welcome. Vidar,I always enjoyed your posts on the other forum and your screenshots in particular.I wish this forum much success!

Douglas Warren

#14 by Vidar Olavesen , Sat Aug 15, 2015 11:02 pm

Thank you, warming my heart :-) Tomorrow I have a show in our club, so someday next week, I'll get some more screenshots up. It's getting there, just need a few more members, so if anyone has friends not yet joined, please ask them kindly to try it out

Hope we all stay friends here for a looong time. Great people in here

Vidar Olavesen
ThankYou 344

#15 by Robert Crewdson ( deleted ) , Sat Aug 15, 2015 11:12 pm

I have spent most of the afternoon and evening reading posts and comments, and I haven't enjoyed myself as much on any other forum. A great atmosphere here. Nice to see people making new friends.

The following members like this: Clyde Miles and Vidar Olavesen
Robert Crewdson

#16 by Hugh Thompson Scott ( deleted ) , Sat Aug 15, 2015 11:14 pm

Robert asks me the chemical make up of film, bloody hell, my forte is building stuff,
I wouldn't have a clue, but I'm sure there are lads on here that do. Needless to say,
if our films were printed on cellotape, we would still buy 'em.

Hugh Thompson Scott

#17 by Vidar Olavesen , Sat Aug 15, 2015 11:16 pm

I am not the one to answer that either, I am still a newbie :-)

Anything here that could help?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Film_stock

Vidar Olavesen
ThankYou 344

#18 by Hugh Thompson Scott ( deleted ) , Sat Aug 15, 2015 11:21 pm

Newbie my arse Vidar, you are a well respected member of at least two other forums, built up a nice collection of films, in all gauges
known to man, kid us not you little sod pot, not to mention the machinery to show all this stuff. a bit like saying Bruce Lee dabbled a bit in martial arts. Best of British by the way on your show, may hairs never lodge in your gate and the ship of the desert never crap in the back of your tent.

Hugh Thompson Scott
Last edited Sat Aug 15, 2015 11:24 pm | Top

#19 by Vidar Olavesen , Sat Aug 15, 2015 11:25 pm

LOL ... But the knowledge isn't that present, sadly. I agree, collection was built quite fast (2 1/2 years and some 1200 titles aquired), but there's so much to learn. I wish I was qualified 35mm projectionist. Need to get some books and learn more

Thanks, Hugh, luckily we have knowledge here together

Vidar Olavesen
ThankYou 344

#20 by Hugh Thompson Scott ( deleted ) , Sun Aug 16, 2015 12:26 am

Vidar, you know that any knowledge I have will be put on here, scant as it is, but I'll put it up, You little Devil you.

Hugh Thompson Scott

Sidney Powell responds after Trump campaign says she is not part of legal team:
If no one minds too much, please change to real names

disconnected Reel-Chat Members online 0
Xobor Create your own Forum with Xobor