Silent without subtitles?

#1 by Timothy Duncan ( deleted ) , Fri Aug 14, 2015 5:49 pm

Has anyone here ever seen this...a 200' silent reel without any subtitles? I have a 200' color (now horribly pink)/silent standard 8 reel of "Cowboy" (Glenn Ford, Jack Lemmon), released by Columbia Pictures Home Movies that has not one subtitle in it. Its just a bunch of random western scenes from the film and I don't know what is going on there. It does have the title of the movie at the beginning though.

Timothy Duncan

RE: Silent without subtitles?

#2 by Vidar Olavesen , Fri Aug 14, 2015 5:56 pm

I am fairly sure most of my silents have no subtitles. I think that's a mistake, they should have put subtitles when there's dialogue

Vidar Olavesen
Date registered 08.02.2015
home: Sarpsborg, Norway
ThankYou 348

#3 by David Hardy ( deleted ) , Fri Aug 14, 2015 6:01 pm

I have never seen that before. Most unusual.

David Hardy

#4 by Timothy Duncan ( deleted ) , Fri Aug 14, 2015 6:04 pm

Vidar, so you're saying that you DO have several silent reels without any subtitles? I've only encountered it twice so far. A 50' reel of "The Blob" (released by Hollywood Home Movies) and this one. I could expect that with the budget release of "The Blob" but expected more from this title, as the feature film was released in the 1950's.

Timothy Duncan
Last edited Fri Aug 14, 2015 6:06 pm | Top

#5 by Vidar Olavesen , Fri Aug 14, 2015 6:09 pm

I am fairly certain most of my 200' silents are without subtitles. I do not remember which, think it was a cartoon called Hawaiian Aye Aye. Nothing is subtitled and not very funny. Got the sound version now and it gets the jokes through

Vidar Olavesen
Date registered 08.02.2015
home: Sarpsborg, Norway
ThankYou 348

Sidney Powell responds after Trump campaign says she is not part of legal team:
About the cover albums in Picture Gallery

disconnected Reel-Chat Members online 0
Xobor Create your own Forum with Xobor