I am curious ... What's your top silent films?

#1 by Vidar Olavesen , Fri Aug 14, 2015 4:15 pm

I think The Gold Rush is quite a good movie, also find Safety Last a nice film.

I do have a few D.W. Griffiths and they are also quite good. I wonder if I missed some that I should have seen, so hope to get some tips here

Thanks

Vidar Olavesen
Date registered 08.02.2015
home: Sarpsborg, Norway
ThankYou 344

RE: I am curious ... What's your top silent films?

#2 by Timothy Duncan ( deleted ) , Fri Aug 14, 2015 4:32 pm

How glad I am to answer that! I have a Blackhawk release of "Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde" (1912) starring James Cruze. It's on a 200' reel and I think it is complete (or nearly). There is no soundtrack, but it doesn't hinder my enjoyment of it. What's fascinating to me is that this film is now 103 years old. Not only do I enjoy the film itself, but I catch myself studying the sets, props, wardrobe, etc.

Vidar Olavesen likes this
Timothy Duncan

#3 by Vidar Olavesen , Fri Aug 14, 2015 4:38 pm

It's 12 minutes, so at 18 fps or maybe even less (16?) it's probably complete. Nice, I didn't know about one that early. Thought it was 20's it was released, but found it on imdb. Now to find it :-)

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0002143/tech...ref_=tt_dt_spec

Vidar Olavesen
ThankYou 344

Last edited 08.14.2015 | Top

#4 by Vidar Olavesen , Fri Aug 14, 2015 4:46 pm

Feel free to recommend more than one :-)

Vidar Olavesen
ThankYou 344

#5 by Timothy Duncan ( deleted ) , Fri Aug 14, 2015 5:29 pm

I have "Tillie's Punctured Romance" on three 400' reels but haven't watched it yet. It is also a Blackhawk release and does have a magnetic soundtrack. I replaced the tattered box with 3 new individual white ones. I have to first figure out which reel is which (reel 1, 2 and so forth), as they are unmarked.

Timothy Duncan

#6 by Vidar Olavesen , Fri Aug 14, 2015 5:38 pm

I got a few of those at last years Blackpool ... Reel 2 in box 3 and just a mess :-) We found it, but it was seen in wrong order. Next time I'll see The General like it should be seen. On film and in correct order

Let us know what you think about when you see it, okay?

Vidar Olavesen
ThankYou 344

#7 by Timothy Duncan ( deleted ) , Fri Aug 14, 2015 5:53 pm

I will do that Vidar!

Timothy Duncan

#8 by David Hardy ( deleted ) , Fri Aug 14, 2015 5:58 pm

That's easy for me to answer. Metropolis / The Kid / Nosferatu / Pandora's Box / The Last Laugh / The Wind and many many more.

David Hardy

#9 by Vidar Olavesen , Fri Aug 14, 2015 6:12 pm

Metropolis is one I'd love to see. Nosferatu I borrowed from a friend in 16mm format. Great film. Saw it alongside 16mm of Frankenstein

Vidar Olavesen
ThankYou 344

#10 by Mats Abelli , Fri Aug 14, 2015 6:14 pm

Two L&h shorts are among my silent favourties. Liberty and Big Business.

Mats Abelli
Date registered 08.03.2015
home: Nättraby, Sweden
ThankYou 112

#11 by Vidar Olavesen , Fri Aug 14, 2015 6:19 pm

Big Business I have. Funny stuff and love this too. Haven't seen the other

Vidar Olavesen
ThankYou 344

#12 by Douglas Warren ( deleted ) , Fri Aug 14, 2015 6:21 pm

Top silent film for me would be Lon Chaney's 1925 "Phantom of the Opera".In my opinion none of the remakes have ever come close to the original.

Douglas Warren

#13 by Vidar Olavesen , Fri Aug 14, 2015 6:24 pm

Only seen one of the later ones. Musical I think and that's not my cup of tea. This is gjetting expensive for me :-) Maybe a difficult hunt to find also?

Vidar Olavesen
ThankYou 344

#14 by Douglas Warren ( deleted ) , Fri Aug 14, 2015 6:30 pm

Vidar...I did see a copy of it for sale recently on eBay for a reasonable price.It does come up for sale on a regular basis. Blackhawk Films released a best of reel from it that is highly recommended. It's a 400' reel of the most classic scenes with nice trivia about the movie too.

Douglas Warren

#15 by Vidar Olavesen , Fri Aug 14, 2015 6:32 pm

Thanks, I keep my eyes open. Do you remrmber price it went for?

Vidar Olavesen
ThankYou 344

#16 by Robert Crewdson ( deleted ) , Sat Aug 15, 2015 9:03 pm

I never got 'The Gold Rush', and would have like Snub Pollard's 'It's a Gift', a lot of these films were issued in the UK by Collectors Club. The problem was that in the beginning a two reel film was issued on two 200ft reels, and when you joined them up, the frame line had to be adjusted. I stopped buying from them. Later they got into sound films, which I found decent quality, and they had their negs remade. The quality was a lot better, and I got several L&H silent before they went out of business.

I just have 3 silent features: 'Tumbleweeds', the last film made by William S. Hart, 1925, Niles Films, they took this from the 1939 reissue negative. William S. Hart also recorded his farewell to the screen; it was the only time he spoke on film; I have this as well.

'Pony Express' , 1925, issued by Collectors Club, from new negatives, 6 reels (3x400)

'The Wrecker' a British silent issued by P.M. Films. Originally it was sold as 4 reels, just as I received it I got a message to say that two reels that had been missing had turned up, and this would be the first time since the 1950s that this film had been seen in its entirety. This was filmed on the Southern Railway, and a stretch of line was closed on a Sunday so that they could stage a train crash.

I have a reel of early British silent films, the originals were thought to have belonged to a travelling showman, among the films, is what is considered to be the first British moving picture, titled 'Rough Sea at Dover', some films by Robert Paul, and Queen Victoria welcoming back troops from the Boer War (1899)

I did very well on Ebay last December, someone had two reels in 16mm of top British silent comic, Walter Forde, who went on to direct many films for Gainsborough. The film was 'Walter makes a Movie' (1922), what was interesting is that the film is supplied on two 400ft reels, someone resisted the temptation to splice it onto an 800ft reel. The copy came from the company that made the prints for the Ensign Film Library. I think it appeared in their catalogue in 1932. This particular lab closed down early 1953. Both reels are immaculate, original heads and tails, no splices and not a single scratch. I forgot to mention it had a 'Buy it now; price of £19, several watchers, perhaps they were undecided.

Robert Crewdson

#17 by Vidar Olavesen , Sat Aug 15, 2015 9:08 pm

Wenn Sie hier auf Links zu eBay klicken und einen Kauf tätigen, kann dies dazu führen, dass diese Website eine Provision erhält.

I have The Pony Express :-) My first feature that I bought off eBay. It's a Gift I got from some friendly soul on the other forum, it was free and the opening was missing. However, I got two from him, one in a mislabeled box, which was complete. But, it's only a 200'. I am not sure if it's from a longer film?

Vidar Olavesen
ThankYou 344

#18 by Hugh Thompson Scott ( deleted ) , Sun Aug 16, 2015 12:45 am

I truly enjoyed "The Lost World", "Nosferatu" and " Cat and Canary", I have "Gold Rush" but not watched. Does this include films like
the Ken digests or the silent Castle films that a lot of us started with?

Hugh Thompson Scott

#19 by Vidar Olavesen , Sun Aug 16, 2015 12:48 am

Any original silent film, short or whatever. Any release. Just want to try to find more nice silents. I have only a few myself

Vidar Olavesen
ThankYou 344

#20 by Hugh Thompson Scott ( deleted ) , Sun Aug 16, 2015 1:00 am

Although I appreciate Doug's view on "Phantom", I disagree on remakes, I think that the Hammer remake in '62 was far better in
that it kept the story of a "madman" in the opera house ticking along, filling in with bit parts like rat catchers, char ladies etc,
the only piece of interest in the silent edition was the unmasking scene, the Hammer remake was devoid of this by the censors of the time, but the rest of the film held the interest until the sad climax, good though the Chaney version is, I feel that Fishers version holds
sway, plus a great suite of music from Edwin Astley.

Hugh Thompson Scott

#21 by Robert Crewdson ( deleted ) , Sun Aug 16, 2015 5:25 pm

I am not usually in favour of remakes, but sometimes the remake is better than the original, the 1965 version of 'She' is one example, the 1950 version of 'Tom Brown's Schooldays' compared to the 1940 original; I like all three versions of 'The 39 steps', all different, but each good in their own way, I couldn't say that one is any better than another, others might disagree, and go for the Donat version.

Robert Crewdson

Sidney Powell responds after Trump campaign says she is not part of legal team:
Your Film Club

disconnected Reel-Chat Members online 2
Xobor Create your own Forum with Xobor