Your earliest theater/drive-in experience

#1 by Timothy Duncan ( deleted ) , Fri Aug 14, 2015 12:41 am

Here's a topic that might be fun to elaborate on. What is the first film that you can remember going to the theater or drive-in to see as a child? Brace yourselves for my answer. It was 1974 and I was three years old. My parents went to see "The Exorcist" at a drive-in. I remember being in the back seat a little weirded out. For years I could remember specific scenes from the film before I found out what that movie was called. What were my parents thinking?!

Vidar Olavesen likes this
Timothy Duncan

RE: Your earliest theater/drive-in experience

#2 by Vidar Olavesen , Fri Aug 14, 2015 12:52 am

Wow, that's quite a film to take a three year old to :-)

I think my first was a bit earlier, 70-71 someplace, can not remember, but I think I was 4 or 5 and went to the cinema I posted in Old Cinemas of the World, Greåker Kino. Was 101 Dalmatians and it was a great experience

Vidar Olavesen
Date registered 08.02.2015
home: Sarpsborg, Norway
ThankYou 344

#3 by Timothy Duncan ( deleted ) , Fri Aug 14, 2015 12:58 am

Now that is a good memory I'm sure Vidar!

Timothy Duncan

#4 by Douglas Warren ( deleted ) , Fri Aug 14, 2015 3:09 am

I must have been around five years old.The town I grew up in Texas had a couple of drive-in movie theaters.I remember seeing a film called "Red Line 7000",which dealt with the lives of three race car drivers. It was one of James Caan's early movies and was directed by Howard Hawks.

Douglas Warren

#5 by David Hardy ( deleted ) , Fri Aug 14, 2015 11:48 am

No Drive-in cinemas here in Scotland. The first film I ever saw in a Cinema was The Wizard Of Oz.
It was 1956 and I was only 2 years old. I remember it like it was only yesterday. My late Mother
said I was the absolutely spellbound and fascinated and never took my eyes off the screen.
I have been like that ever since. A happy memory.

David Hardy

#6 by Timothy Duncan ( deleted ) , Fri Aug 14, 2015 12:19 pm

Dave, what a great memory! Sadly, nearly all drive-in theaters are long gone in the U.S. Earlier this year, I passed through the area where a drive-in stood when I was a kid. It was in a rural area and I could no longer identify where it was located. It's just a vague memory now.

Timothy Duncan

#7 by Robert Crewdson ( deleted ) , Fri Aug 14, 2015 1:29 pm

My earliest memory of the cinema, is Walt Disney's 'Davy Crocket', when I would have been 2 years old, just a very brief memory. I do remember much more clearly, as though it was recent, watching De Milles 'Ten Commandments' ; I remember two scenes very clearly, the writing on the tablets of stone, and the parting of the Red Sea. This was one of two films that were a greatly responsible for my interest in cine; the other one was 'Jason and the Argonauts'.

Robert Crewdson

#8 by Timothy Duncan ( deleted ) , Fri Aug 14, 2015 3:29 pm

Isn't it amazing how we all remember these early cinema experiences? The next one for me was "Grizzly" (a.k.a "Claws") from 1976. It was made in response to the enormous success of "Jaws", released a year earlier. This is my first recollection of an indoor cinema experience, although it is a vague memory.

Timothy Duncan

#9 by David Hardy ( deleted ) , Fri Aug 14, 2015 6:09 pm

I remember showing GRIZZLY when I was a Projectionist at the Odeon Cinema away back then. We were very busy with it.

David Hardy

#10 by Timothy Duncan ( deleted ) , Fri Aug 14, 2015 6:15 pm

I still like "Grizzly" to this day. I know for a fact that there was a 400' German release of it on super 8, and I let it get away from me on eBay last year. The only thing was, I didn't think the dialogue would have been in English since the packaging was all in German. Would I be right about that?

Timothy Duncan

Sidney Powell responds after Trump campaign says she is not part of legal team:
Silent without subtitles?

disconnected Reel-Chat Members online 4
Xobor Create your own Forum with Xobor