Perry's Movies.

#1 by Robert Crewdson ( deleted ) , Wed Aug 12, 2015 7:33 pm

Perry's Movies don't have an entry in Covers; they used to produce films, not sure how many, and maybe the cover's wouldn't be of much use or interest. Back in the early 70s they did some early silents, they were around £1 each , which was amazing. I bought two of Tom Mix, one Felix the Cat, A trip to the Moon, by George Melies, and a Standard 8 copy of The Great Train Robbery. I later got a Super 8 copy. They did at least another two Melies films, and later issued the sound feature 'Dick Turpin', which starred Victor McLaglen, and Jimmy Finlayson was also in it. It was taken from what was claimed to be the only surviving print of the film, which belonged to Keith Perry.

Robert Crewdson

RE: Perry's Movies.

#2 by Vidar Olavesen , Wed Aug 12, 2015 8:14 pm

If they all were in white boxes with text on, maybe not too interesting, but should even then have an album. So go ahead and create one. I never knew, so all information is nice

Vidar Olavesen
Date registered 08.02.2015
home: Sarpsborg, Norway
ThankYou 348

#3 by Hugh Thompson Scott ( deleted ) , Wed Aug 12, 2015 8:17 pm

A great company and we have much to thank them for. They had their own labs and turned out some really nice stuff, I still have the 3x400's of "The Lost World" & "Nosferatu" std 8mm and an overflowing 400' spool of the latter, issued as a separate film. Of course over the years I have purchased various films from them, Ian & Arthur were a mainstay in the 8 & 16 collecting world, alas Arthur has gone, but Ian still keeps the super 8 flag flying, his lists used to be every month, now maybe twice a year, but he is still hanging in there, usually his lists are followed by a deluge of emails from prospective buyers, long may he reign.

Joe Taffis likes this
Hugh Thompson Scott

#4 by Robert Crewdson ( deleted ) , Wed Aug 12, 2015 9:09 pm

Will see if I can add anything tomorrow. I remember these silents were somewhere between 75p and £1. I remember receiving a parcel of three or four and thinking 'I got all that for the price of one Walton Film', soon after they stopped advertising them, so I never did get the other Melies films, but at least I got Tom Mix.

Robert Crewdson
Last edited Wed Aug 12, 2015 9:12 pm | Top

#5 by David Hardy ( deleted ) , Wed Aug 12, 2015 9:23 pm

I miss phoning Perry's Movies for that much wanted film that appeared on the regular lists.
I also miss my chats with Ian and his wife. Yes it was a sad day when Arthur passed away.
I still have their catalogues and second hand film lists. I will post them when fix my scanner problems.
Happy memories.

Vidar Olavesen likes this
David Hardy

#6 by Panayotis A. Carayannis ( deleted ) , Sun Aug 16, 2015 12:18 am

The Perry silents were a gamble.Some were good to very good and some were execrable. I got a copy of Edison's CHARGE OF THE LIGHT BRIGADE which is escentially half a reel of dark unwatchable film. The same goes for the Melies films.Like Collector's Club, they were copied from Blackhawk prints Luckily,recently I acquired a Blackhawk copy of CHARGE.. which is a full reel of excellent pictorial quality

Attached pictures:
farm38 004.jpg  

Panayotis A. Carayannis

#7 by Hugh Thompson Scott ( deleted ) , Sun Aug 16, 2015 12:30 am

That is probably true Panayotis and I respect your findings, but Perry's "Lost World" on std 8mm is as good as any other I've come across.

Hugh Thompson Scott
Last edited Sun Aug 16, 2015 12:30 am | Top

#8 by Panayotis A. Carayannis ( deleted ) , Sun Aug 16, 2015 1:12 am

Attached pictures:
farm38 001.jpg  

Panayotis A. Carayannis

#9 by Hugh Thompson Scott ( deleted ) , Sun Aug 16, 2015 1:20 am

Those pics certainly jog memories Panayotis, I was well pleased when I purchased "Lost World for £10.00 in 1971 followed by
"Nosferatu", a cheap way of expanding my features to three at the time.

Hugh Thompson Scott

#10 by Robert Crewdson ( deleted ) , Sun Aug 16, 2015 11:08 am

I only managed to get about 4 of the silent, I would have bought more, but I never saw them advertised again. The quality was fine on those I purchased.

Robert Crewdson

#11 by David Hardy ( deleted ) , Sun Aug 16, 2015 3:10 pm

I still have a few Perry's releases in my collection. Among them are a couple of sound Laurel and Hardy films.

David Hardy

#12 by Robert Crewdson ( deleted ) , Sun Aug 16, 2015 5:14 pm

I don't think Perry's or Collectors Club would have used Blackhawk prints, I never saw these particular titles in their catalogue. I had a two reeler from Collectors Club titled 'A Knight of the Trail', A William S. Hart cowboy film. The picture was jumpy; I saw that Blackhawk had the same title and ordered a copy, when it came I was disappointed to find Blackhawk had replaced the original main and end titles which appeared in the Collectors Club issue. Collectors Club issued 'Tumbleweeds' from the original 1925 release, while the Niles Film copy was taken from the 1939 re-issue.

I do have a L&H silent from Mountain which is a poor copy and has the Blackhawk logo at the front.

David, what L&H films did you get from Perrys. I bought on a visit to them in the 80s, the two reeler 'Berth Marks' a sepia toned print, with no makers name on the box.

Robert Crewdson

Sidney Powell responds after Trump campaign says she is not part of legal team:
Interesting reels anyone?

disconnected Reel-Chat Members online 0
Xobor Create your own Forum with Xobor