Debate or Argument?

#1 by Timothy Duncan ( deleted ) , Wed Aug 12, 2015 3:21 am

I hope I'm not overstepping my bounds here. I know that forums are in part designed for debates concerning information presented here or elsewhere. I just wanted to express that I'd like Reel Image Film Forum to remain a friendly place for everyone. I'd like every collector to be made welcome no matter what collecting level that they are at as well. I have let Vidar know in detail what I experienced on another forum that was so disheartening for me. I hope that debates will not ever turn ugly and become arguments back and forth. I feel that we can educate one another in a respectful way. Am I being too idealistic here? Let me know your thoughts. And Vidar, if this is an inappropriate post, please let me know.
Thank you for letting me be a part of the forum and it has been a positive experience since joining.
Most sincerely,
Tim

The following members like this: Mats Abelli, Vidar Olavesen, Steve Bales, Ian Partridge and Gwyn Morgan
Timothy Duncan

RE: Debate or Argument?

#2 by David Hardy ( deleted ) , Wed Aug 12, 2015 9:50 am

Hello Timothy
No you are not overstepping any bounds or being over idealistic. Friendly debates are one of the basic criteria for this forum.
After all if you do not interact, discuss or share our FILM interests we have no forum at all.
Be rest assured any personal remarks of what is deemed insulting and nasty will certainly not be tolerated.
Any members who act towards others in such a manner will be deleted from the forum.
FILM Collecting is a FUN and enjoyable hobby and we intend to keep it that way within this forum.
All you have to remember is to keep the posts FILM based. So formats like VIDEO TAPES,DVDs,BLU-RAYs have no
place here. That includes DIGITAL movies. I hope this answers your concerns and you stay with us for a long time.
Keep those Posts coming and share your experiences of FILM.
Cheers
Dave Hardy

The following members like this: Mats Abelli, Steve Bales and Gwyn Morgan
David Hardy

#3 by Robert Crewdson ( deleted ) , Wed Aug 12, 2015 10:57 am

One of the reasons I left one of the other forums was not just to do with supposed collectors promoting other mediums, but the fact that if someone shares a different opinion to you, then quite often people start getting verbally abusive, it's mostly the same 2 or 3 that do it. Not long back a film seller pulled out because everytime he advertised some films he was abused by one member. The moderator was always having to step in and lock the post or delete it. Vidar's rules state that there will be no personal attacks on another member, and no racial comments. We are here to enjoy and learn from each other. I have already learnt something from you Timothy with those reels you posted yesterday.

The following members like this: Mats Abelli, Steve Bales, Ian Partridge and Gwyn Morgan
Robert Crewdson

#4 by Timothy Duncan ( deleted ) , Wed Aug 12, 2015 11:39 am

Thank you Dave and Robert. When I saw that I got a thumbs down for posting the above comment, my heart sank. I didn't mean to be offensive and it made me question myself as to whether I'm being some kind of jerk. I certainly look to make friends here, even if the communication is only by means of the Internet. Robert, I know exactly the incident that you speak of, and totally agree with your thoughts on the matter. And Dave, you will never hear the "D" talk from me...ever!

The following members like this: Mats Abelli and Steve Bales
Timothy Duncan

#5 by Robert Crewdson ( deleted ) , Wed Aug 12, 2015 12:06 pm

Glad to have you here Timothy, we are brand new, as you know, and hoping to build up membership. You are a great poster in the forum, I hadn't noticed until you said, that someone had given your comments the thumbs down; I don't know why anyone should find fault with you saying you want to keep the forum friendly. At least you can see who likes or doesn't like what.

The following members like this: Mats Abelli and Steve Bales
Robert Crewdson
Last edited Wed Aug 12, 2015 12:07 pm | Top

#6 by Vidar Olavesen , Wed Aug 12, 2015 1:32 pm

If Joe Taffis would reply with a reason why he didn't like this, that would help us understanding

Vidar Olavesen
Date registered 08.02.2015
home: Sarpsborg, Norway
ThankYou 348

#7 by Robert Crewdson ( deleted ) , Wed Aug 12, 2015 2:45 pm

Not sure if the names of the Forum administrators shows up to members but they are Vidar, David, and myself. If anyone has any concerns about anything regarding the forum they can message any of us. No one can be online 24 hours, but all messages will be answered.

Robert Crewdson

#8 by Hugh Thompson Scott ( deleted ) , Wed Aug 12, 2015 9:10 pm

I can't see any reason why arguments or hatred would be flying back and forth over the subject of film, other subjects yes, but film,
can't see it. Rest assured Timothy, you are part of an ever decreasing band of cineastes, debates are good, but arguments not so.
We all have the same interest at heart, to try to keep the hobby afloat, we all have that in common, so don't feel
as though you are alone, Vidar and Robert have done a sterling job in getting this project off the ground and so far it is a credit to them.
Please feel at ease to post whatever you want film related, that's what keeps the interest.

The following members like this: Vidar Olavesen and Mats Abelli
Hugh Thompson Scott

#9 by Timothy Duncan ( deleted ) , Thu Aug 04, 2016 8:28 am

I just read through this thread that is nearly one year old and started by myself. Based on some unfortunate events that have occurred since, I feel validated in my concerns back then.

Timothy Duncan

#10 by Eivind Mork , Thu Aug 04, 2016 9:13 am

That was interresting, Tim! I just read through old posts myself. Yes, we have had a rough period.

I found some of my own postings on the similar subject where I suggested some guidelines, I guess most agreed that time, and I guess most people still do as long as we talk in general and not about specific cases. It seems to be much harder when things have already heated up.

Eivind Mork
Date registered 10.12.2015
home: Oslo, Norway
ThankYou 405

Sidney Powell responds after Trump campaign says she is not part of legal team:
HAPPY FIRST ANNIVERSARY TO ME !

disconnected Reel-Chat Members online 0
Xobor Create your own Forum with Xobor