Horror Films on 8mm

#1 by Hugh Thompson Scott ( deleted ) , Mon Aug 10, 2015 3:40 pm

It seems only fitting to mention Horror, as it was a mainstay of collecting films by many of the distributors of the day. My all time
favourites of the genre are "Revenge of the Vampire" (AKA "Black Sunday" & Mask of Satan") also "The Blood Demon" a little seen West
German fable starring the late Sir Christopher Lee. Both films share similarities, ghostly castles, misty forests and the main protagonist
being executed by spike lined mask. Hardly seen now, the first was an early Derann release, the second came from Mountain, although
Piccolo film from Germany released 2x400' of the Chris Lee film, and a French company released an uncut version of "Mask of Satan on super 8, both are worth seeking out as atmospheric horrors, now seen to have given way to gut crunchers that might please the gore hounds, but lose out elsewhere. Anyway, any film that has the beauty of Barbara Steele in it, the last in line of the classic horror artistes, has got to be worth watching.

Vidar Olavesen likes this
Hugh Thompson Scott

RE: Horror Films on 8mm

#2 by Robert Crewdson ( deleted ) , Mon Aug 10, 2015 4:19 pm

I was always undecided on whether to buy 'Wasp Woman' from Mountain Films, the box illustration fascinated me, also 'Plan 9 from Outer Space' described by someone as 'The worst film ever made'. I haven't see either.

Robert Crewdson

#3 by Hugh Thompson Scott ( deleted ) , Mon Aug 10, 2015 4:56 pm

I've had "Plan 9", which isn't all THAT bad, consider some of the rubbish made in the'80s onwards. "Wasp Woman" I still have
as a std 8mm feature, the picture illustration is the exact opposite as how she is seen in the film, human body, wasp head.
Sadly the wasp woman herself, the lovely Susan Cabot was bludgeoned to death by her son, a tragedy, she was seen in many
"B" pictures of the day, usually Corman's such as "Machine Gun Kelly" with Charles Bronson.

Hugh Thompson Scott
Last edited Mon Aug 10, 2015 4:57 pm | Top

#4 by Robert Crewdson ( deleted ) , Mon Aug 10, 2015 5:17 pm

I read about Susan Cabot, she appeared in a few Audie Murphy westerns; I believe Bela Lugosi died during the making of 'Plan 9'; you can't go by the critics, the film reviewer of the BBC said the 1948 film 'Bonnie Prince Charlie' starring David Niven and Margaret Leighton, was the worst film ever to come out of a British studio. I have seen it three times and couldn't find anything to complain about.

Robert Crewdson

#5 by Timothy Duncan ( deleted ) , Tue Aug 11, 2015 4:53 pm

Horror and science fiction is my favorite genre of 'reel film'! It apparently is the most sought after because some of the asking prices for 200'/silent reels can be very high.

Timothy Duncan

#6 by Timothy Duncan ( deleted ) , Fri Sep 11, 2015 8:54 pm

What category would you classify a film such as "King Kong", "Mighty Joe Young", etc.? Would it be horror, science fiction, or something else?

Timothy Duncan

#7 by Vidar Olavesen , Fri Sep 11, 2015 9:15 pm

Adventure? Has drama too

Vidar Olavesen
Date registered 08.02.2015
home: Sarpsborg, Norway
ThankYou 348

#8 by David Ollerearnshaw , Fri Sep 11, 2015 10:33 pm

Fantasy the likes of King Kong. Seen both Wasp Woman & Plan 9. In there own way are quite fun to watch though. Bela Lugosi died after a few days filming sadly. Replaced by a double, just so nobody could tell he walked around with his arm covering the lower part of his face.

David Ollerearnshaw
Date registered 08.13.2015
home: Sheffield UK
ThankYou 61

#9 by Robert Crewdson ( deleted ) , Fri Sep 11, 2015 11:13 pm

I think 'Plan 9' is available to watch online, not sure about 'Wasp Woman', would like to see this.

Robert Crewdson

#10 by Hugh Thompson Scott ( deleted ) , Sat Sep 12, 2015 2:19 am

Very true Dave, I think the double for Bela was a Chiropractor, who looked nothing like Bela, differing heights being the obvious one,
day and night clashing shots etc, but it is a fun film, somehow it does have its own magic.

Hugh Thompson Scott

#11 by Hugh Thompson Scott ( deleted ) , Sat Sep 12, 2015 2:58 am

Regarding categories of films like "Kong" or "Joe Young", Kong was released in GB as Horror under the old "H" for horror, which preceded
the "X" certificate, but like Vidar, adventure covers them, or as the Maestro, Ray Harryhausen would term them, Fantasy Film.

Vidar Olavesen likes this
Hugh Thompson Scott

#12 by David Ollerearnshaw , Sat Sep 12, 2015 12:35 pm

My Mountain King Kong does have the old 'H' cert.

David Ollerearnshaw
Date registered 08.13.2015
home: Sheffield UK
ThankYou 61

#13 by Vidar Olavesen , Sat Sep 12, 2015 12:52 pm

Mine too has the H

Vidar Olavesen
Date registered 08.02.2015
home: Sarpsborg, Norway
ThankYou 348

Sidney Powell responds after Trump campaign says she is not part of legal team: