Anything not film related?

#1 by Vidar Olavesen , Sat Aug 08, 2015 4:07 pm

Please report anything that's not film related. We want to keep it strictly film

Thanks for all help with this

Mats Abelli likes this

Vidar Olavesen
Date registered 08.02.2015
home: Sarpsborg, Norway
ThankYou 348

RE: Anything not film related?

#2 by Timothy Duncan ( deleted ) , Fri Aug 14, 2015 4:37 am

Me too Vidar! Long live film!

Vidar Olavesen likes this
Timothy Duncan

#3 by Timothy Duncan ( deleted ) , Thu Jul 07, 2016 8:18 am

I thought this announcement from last August may need to resurface, given the recent activity here.

Vidar Olavesen likes this
Timothy Duncan

#4 by David Hardy ( deleted ) , Thu Jul 07, 2016 9:26 am

Thanks for that reminder Timothy but the implication was that we were not to post
anything that referred to Digital Projection and its discs and equipment.
General Chat or conversation was not within that domain as I understood it at the time.
Vidar had no problem with that at the time and so far as I know has not now.
Although after recent events he may have changed his mind.

David Hardy

#5 by Robert Crewdson ( deleted ) , Thu Jul 07, 2016 11:08 am

Yes, that's how I understood it as well, David, Film not Digital. With Hugh gone, and if you can't have the odd off topic comment, not sure I want to remain here either. Sorry, but I think these complainers and non posters have just spelt the death of this forum.

The following members like this: Dave Alligan and Gwyn Morgan
Robert Crewdson

#6 by David Hardy ( deleted ) , Thu Jul 07, 2016 11:12 am

I am having the same thoughts too Robert.

David Hardy

#7 by Andrew Woodcock ( deleted ) , Thu Jul 07, 2016 11:20 am

Well that is OUR choice as members chaps....and only OUR choice!

I have heard it said on many occasions, that so long as we only ever have a handful of regular posters here, everyone is happy. Quality not quantity I've heard said.

Well on that basis, there ought to be no talk of any end, despite the fact that without Hugh regularly posting in these columns, the forum will lose a considerable amount of its wealth of knowledge, of that I cannot deny!

There is 50 years worth of Super 8mm film and machinery out there to collect and discuss.
That is quite besides the other gauges and memorabilia aspect.
From where I'm sitting, I'd say we haven't even scratched the surface so far with our discussions here yet!!

"C'Mon Baggy, Get With The Beat"

Gwyn Morgan likes this
Andrew Woodcock
Last edited Thu Jul 07, 2016 11:24 am | Top

#8 by David Hardy ( deleted ) , Thu Jul 07, 2016 11:32 am

Andrew I am of the mind that any discussions on one of my hobbies since 1966 is not
good for my health.

David Hardy

#9 by Andrew Woodcock ( deleted ) , Thu Jul 07, 2016 11:36 am

Oh well that is a terrible shame David!
For once there, I am truly lost for words.

Andrew Woodcock

#10 by Robert Crewdson ( deleted ) , Thu Jul 07, 2016 11:52 am

I noticed one of the people who disliked Hugh's parting comment, is a lurker, who only surfaces to mention his dislike of something, he's not contributing anything of value, so why is he here. We need to try and get Hugh to come back, otherwise I think it's finished. I could be wrong, but it could be left to Andrew and 4 or 5 others to keep this forum afloat.

Robert Crewdson

#11 by Andrew Woodcock ( deleted ) , Thu Jul 07, 2016 12:02 pm

We do need Hugh back here, no questioning that Robert.
But I'd also like to think no one man can decide whether or not the forum or film collecting communities sink or swim!

While ever there are people actively interested in collecting film and film equipment, I see no reason whatsoever for any talk of ending any forum.

We have people here like Dave Alligan who now seemingly does not collect film, but he too plus the Barry's and David Skillerns & Bill Parsons of this world etc etc, have been around the hobby for donkeys years and take plenty of interest in what is posted here.

That is besides people like Tom, Del and myself who have been in it since the 70's.
I haven't even mentioned Paul Browning just as we haven't seen him posting anything anywhere in recent weeks, but I doubt that means he has sold up his marvellous collection of prestigious films and Derann owned Xenon film equipment overnight!

I don't believe there is any grand scale lack of interest today rather than last week so I no reason why anyone here would want to call it a day.

Gwyn Morgan likes this
Andrew Woodcock
Last edited Thu Jul 07, 2016 12:08 pm | Top

#12 by Andrew Woodcock ( deleted ) , Thu Jul 07, 2016 12:09 pm

Sorry Gwyn, I should of course have given you also due mention!!

You see, there is far more than 4 or 5!!!

What about Alan Rik of course, and his huge collection of top top drawer film and equipment over the years????

Can you see him ever giving this hobby up in a whim?
I know I can't!!

Andrew Woodcock
Last edited Thu Jul 07, 2016 12:23 pm | Top

#13 by Gwyn Morgan , Thu Jul 07, 2016 12:15 pm

Well morning all.Not quite the start to the forum this morning I had expected.
I'm sorry Hugh has decided to leave but that is another thread.
I fully appreciate the point of reel film only nothing digital,but I have to agree with Robert that a bit of off film banter did not do anyone any harm ,or so I thought.
I think the forum will be a lesser place ,not sure if that's the right word,without a bit of banter on the side.

Gwyn Morgan
Date registered 08.03.2015
home: Devon
ThankYou 273

#14 by Andrew Woodcock ( deleted ) , Thu Jul 07, 2016 12:20 pm

I see no wrong either with banter surrounding other associated digression so long as it omits potential known pitfall categories such as politics and religion.

These subjects are renowned for provoking controversy and real contrasting opinions and bad feelings at times from one person to another.

Gwyn Morgan likes this
Andrew Woodcock
Last edited Thu Jul 07, 2016 12:21 pm | Top

#15 by Robert Crewdson ( deleted ) , Thu Jul 07, 2016 12:31 pm

Andrew, I'm just thinking it could end up like 8mm Worldwide forum. Some sections haven't been added to for months. There's plenty to talk about, but someone has to do the talking, and having spent time putting a post together, you would like some input. I posted a few screenshots recently, and the last time I looked, only Vidar commented. a waste of my time.

Robert Crewdson
Last edited Thu Jul 07, 2016 12:34 pm | Top

#16 by Andrew Woodcock ( deleted ) , Thu Jul 07, 2016 12:36 pm

Like thatll ever happen!

They don't have keen present day supporters of the hobby there seemingly now Robert.

I've just mentioned plenty of names who are here who still VERY REGULARLY continue to purchase quality product on film and machinery when the right stuff comes along.

Some of us are going nowhere anytime soon.

Gwyn Morgan likes this
Andrew Woodcock

#17 by Robert Crewdson ( deleted ) , Thu Jul 07, 2016 1:10 pm

A lot of members there are also members of 8mm Film Tech, Pat D, and Michael O'Regan to name just two.

Robert Crewdson

#18 by Andrew Woodcock ( deleted ) , Thu Jul 07, 2016 1:28 pm

But are these guys still active within the hobby Robert, on a regular basis ?

I see Pat may now be moving into the world of 16mm and away from Super 8mm, but we shall await the outcome on that one!

Andrew Woodcock
Last edited Thu Jul 07, 2016 1:29 pm | Top

#19 by Robert Crewdson ( deleted ) , Thu Jul 07, 2016 1:35 pm

But not active here Andrew, where he is needed. His being into 16mm doesn't help us with fresh topics. I have asked David Hardy to close my account also; if you like you can do it, but I'm leaving also.

Robert Crewdson

#20 by Andrew Woodcock ( deleted ) , Thu Jul 07, 2016 1:43 pm

Well that is truly incredible Robert! No sooner back with us and gone again!
I am both bemused as well as being deeply shocked by the responses of both David and yourself Robert, I really am.

As ever, I will leave the closing of anyone's account down to them themselves or Vidar. It isn't something I want to be any part of.

Andrew Woodcock
Last edited Thu Jul 07, 2016 1:45 pm | Top

#21 by Robert Crewdson ( deleted ) , Thu Jul 07, 2016 1:46 pm

I didn't expect it Andrew, I came back partly at the request of Hugh. I think the burden of keeping this forum going will eventually fall on your shoulders.

Robert Crewdson

#22 by Robert Crewdson ( deleted ) , Thu Jul 07, 2016 1:49 pm

Maybe Hugh, David, and I are the wrong people to be in a forum, as we expect others to play a part, and not sit idly by watching. You don't seem to have that problem judging by your recent comments, and this is what decided me to leave sooner than later.

Robert Crewdson

#23 by Andrew Woodcock ( deleted ) , Thu Jul 07, 2016 1:50 pm

I don' t wish to run any forum Robert, I simply enjoy learning, reading and sharing this fabulous hobby with all of it's trials and tribulations with others...that's all.

I voted as the next man to promote new members to contribute something at least Robert. I don't believe the majority of people just want a forum of one or two people who post and 5000 plus peeping toms!

Andrew Woodcock
Last edited Thu Jul 07, 2016 1:52 pm | Top

#24 by Robert Crewdson ( deleted ) , Thu Jul 07, 2016 1:52 pm

I know Andrew, but Vidar can't run it on his own. He's absent more lately. He's quite happy just to have lurkers. It's just an annoyance to me. I will PM Vidar to close my account if no one else wants to do it.

Robert Crewdson

#25 by Andrew Woodcock ( deleted ) , Thu Jul 07, 2016 1:54 pm

Let's hope one or two others come forward then Robert.

Andrew Woodcock

Sidney Powell responds after Trump campaign says she is not part of legal team:
Real names ... again

disconnected Reel-Chat Members online 0
Xobor Create your own Forum with Xobor