Laurel & Hardy

#1 by Robert Crewdson ( deleted ) , Mon Aug 03, 2015 3:57 pm

Small part of my Laurel & Hardy collection; I originally wanted to own a copy of every film they made, but owing to trying to build an all round collection of features, newsreels, cartoons, etc, I never made it.

Attached pictures:
l&H.jpg  

The following members like this: Vidar Olavesen, Will Fleming and
Robert Crewdson
Last edited Mon Aug 03, 2015 3:58 pm | Top

RE: Laurel & Hardy

#2 by Timothy Duncan ( deleted ) , Fri Sep 11, 2015 10:50 pm

Robert,
I know your focus is 16mm, but do you still watch your 8mm films too? The boxes here look to be in excellent condition!

Timothy Duncan

#3 by Robert Crewdson ( deleted ) , Fri Sep 11, 2015 11:10 pm

Hi Tim, very rarely now, I need to start watching them again. They are in a cupboard with my 16mm projectors in front, so I have a bit to move to get access to them. All but one of my films were bought new, and I have looked after the boxes.

Robert Crewdson

#4 by Mats Abelli , Fri Sep 11, 2015 11:14 pm

Walton made great covers, but unfortunately they cut the films. American Blackhawk Films had as complete versions as possible, but their boxes had all the same layout on the L&H films. I have over 50 films with the Boys, most of them Blackhawk Prints. Screening L&H films, seems to be the only way to make my wife spend some time in my home cinema.

Mats Abelli
Date registered 08.03.2015
home: Nättraby, Sweden
ThankYou 112

#5 by Robert Crewdson ( deleted ) , Fri Sep 11, 2015 11:17 pm

What I don't like about Blackhawk, same as Walton, is replacing all or part of the original titles with Blackhawk or the Walton logo.

Robert Crewdson

#6 by Mats Abelli , Fri Sep 11, 2015 11:22 pm

I agree Robert, but were there anyone who released their fims on 8mm, with the original logo and intro?

Mats Abelli
ThankYou 112

#7 by Robert Crewdson ( deleted ) , Fri Sep 11, 2015 11:23 pm

I have a print of Berth Marks with original titles, it came in a plain box; I don't think there is any clue on the leader.

Mats Abelli likes this
Robert Crewdson

#8 by Timothy Duncan ( deleted ) , Fri Sep 11, 2015 11:25 pm

As many L&H films that are still available, I should pursue one or two perhaps. What titles do you guys HIGHLY recommend for a beginner?

Robert, it's terrific that you have kept these in such nice condition all these years.

I agree with Mats, the Walton boxes are well designed. I like Blackhawk prints, but it would've been nice to see unique boxes for each title. I'm assuming that those were often made-to-order (hence the generic boxes with the typed labels on the spine). Their way of packaging them would've kept production costs down for sure.

Timothy Duncan

#9 by Vidar Olavesen , Fri Sep 11, 2015 11:28 pm

I would consider The Music Box, one of my favorites. Dirty Work I have a soft spot for too

Vidar Olavesen
Date registered 08.02.2015
home: Sarpsborg, Norway
ThankYou 348

#10 by Mats Abelli , Fri Sep 11, 2015 11:31 pm

Some early Blackhawk prints ( standard 8 mm ), had unique boxes. At that time a two-reeler was sold on 2 200ft reels in one box. I can highly recommend their silent films LIberty and Big Business.

Mats Abelli
ThankYou 112

Last edited 09.11.2015 | Top

#11 by Timothy Duncan ( deleted ) , Fri Sep 11, 2015 11:34 pm

I will remember those titles Vidar. Thank you. I've only seen two of their films in an unmentionable format. One being "Flying Deuces" and the other being "Babes in Toyland" a.k.a. "March of the Wooden Soldiers" in a modern colorized presentation.

Timothy Duncan

#12 by Timothy Duncan ( deleted ) , Fri Sep 11, 2015 11:41 pm

Thanks for those recommendations Mats! I have never seen any standard 8mm Blackhawk prints for sale. Only the super 8 titles released during the 1970's and perhaps later.

Timothy Duncan

#13 by Vidar Olavesen , Fri Sep 11, 2015 11:43 pm

Got those features myself. 5x400' on Babes in Toyland. Both fairly worn. They are not suppose to be colorized. Hate that. Worst colorization I've seen were Night of the Living Dead. They say in the start that they look just like us .... They're green faced in that version. Destroyed the movie for me

Vidar Olavesen
Date registered 08.02.2015
home: Sarpsborg, Norway
ThankYou 348

#14 by Mats Abelli , Fri Sep 11, 2015 11:44 pm

Timothy! There are many better features than the two you mentioned. I love Our Relations, where the are mixed up with their twin brothers. I agree with Vidar. The Music Box is great and their only Oscar winner.

Vidar Olavesen likes this

Mats Abelli
ThankYou 112

#15 by Hugh Thompson Scott ( deleted ) , Sat Sep 12, 2015 2:00 am

I agree with all points made, the only feature I have is "Babes In Toyland" 4x400' std 8mm ( reg 8 ) which is very good, and a few shorts, horror/ fantasy film
taking first place, but lets face it, whoever released what, the boys talent shows through, Phil at CHC is the man to ask on best versions,
he is renowned as the L & H Expert, and wrote many great pieces on them in various magazines, including "Super 8 Film Collector". I love
their comedy, timeless, and unlike many comedy duo's, these men were friends, maybe that's the magic that shows through.

Vidar Olavesen likes this
Hugh Thompson Scott
Last edited Sat Sep 12, 2015 2:04 am | Top

#16 by Steve Carter ( deleted ) , Sun Sep 13, 2015 12:04 pm

Robert, I have the same Walton print of 'Busy Bodies', is your print very soft focus and the faces have no features over-bright except for close ups. 'Hog Wild' Walton very dark even with 150w lamp on full, it seems Laurel and Hardy super 8 films vary so much.

Steve Carter

#17 by Robert Crewdson ( deleted ) , Sun Sep 13, 2015 12:13 pm

Hi Steve, and welcome to the forum. I think 'Busy Bodies' was the first L&H sound film I bought from Walton, and the image quality is superb. The whole family was amazed by how sharp it is.

Robert Crewdson

#18 by Robert Crewdson ( deleted ) , Sun Sep 13, 2015 12:14 pm

All my Walton sound films were consistently good.

Robert Crewdson

#19 by Robert Crewdson ( deleted ) , Sun Sep 13, 2015 12:17 pm

Tim, there are some great L&H silent films as well; some made before they were officially a team; there is one I like, but I don't remember the title just now; it involves a diamond thief on board a ship, he is a midget disguised as a baby, and the diamonds are stuffed into the back of a teddy bear.

Robert Crewdson

#20 by Timothy Duncan ( deleted ) , Sun Sep 13, 2015 12:27 pm

Robert, when you can remember the title, let me know. Thanks!

Timothy Duncan

#21 by Steve Carter ( deleted ) , Sun Sep 13, 2015 12:52 pm

'Sailors Beware' is the film with the midget. I must have a bad print of 'Busy Bodies'. it's almost like the print has a sort of outline to the detail like it had moved in the print process, it's like comparing it to colour printing, the print is out of registration, that sort of effect but in B&W.

Steve Carter

#22 by Robert Crewdson ( deleted ) , Sun Sep 13, 2015 1:00 pm

Sorry about that Steve, you were very unlucky there. I had only seen L&H on TV before and was amazed at the quality of the print.

Robert Crewdson

#23 by Robert Crewdson ( deleted ) , Sun Sep 13, 2015 1:09 pm

Tim, here is a clip from the film; I like the scene where Stan throws the Teddy Bear down a shute, and the baby (midget) dives after it. Many of these films I had never seen until I got them in Super 8. TV used to frequently show the Robert Youngson films 'When comedy was King' and 'Days of thrills and laughter', so people of a certain generation were familiar with names like Fatty Arbuckle, Harold Lloyd, Chester Conklin, Ben Turpin. I think most people under 40 wouldn't have a clue who these people are.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gc92p0PIEHQ

Robert Crewdson

#24 by Mats Abelli , Sun Sep 13, 2015 2:44 pm

I have only found British prints of Sailors Beware. My first one was a standarsd 8, Mountain films print. It was a very full 200ft reel. Later I found a 400ft copy. As far as I know this title was never released by Blackhawk.
About Walton L&H. I have had a couple of these. All were great prints.

Mats Abelli
ThankYou 112

#25 by Robert Crewdson ( deleted ) , Sun Sep 13, 2015 4:38 pm

Mine is 400ft Mountain. I also bought 'Love and Hisses', this was sent on 2x200ft reels and I put them on a 400ft reel.

Robert Crewdson

Sidney Powell responds after Trump campaign says she is not part of legal team:
MORE NEWS ABOUT THE SPANISH LAB.... IN GIBRALTAR

disconnected Reel-Chat Members online 1
Xobor Create your own Forum with Xobor