RE: 52 weeks, 52 features. (or mini features

#51 by Gwyn Morgan , Fri Apr 05, 2024 10:12 pm

As said Tom in the original review,there would appear to be no official release of this film on video,dvd etc,so me thinks this copy will only
become more valuable as time goes on.
May well become a cult film especially with the Beatles music attached to it?
Very nice.👍

Tom Photiou likes this

Gwyn Morgan
Date registered 08.03.2015
home: Devon
ThankYou 273

#52 by Tom Photiou , Sat Apr 06, 2024 9:52 pm

To go with the film I also bought the CD
It's actually pretty good, and the two CDs are made to look like small LP's complete with the groove and separated tracks.

Gwyn Morgan likes this

Tom Photiou
Date registered 08.14.2015
home: Plymouth. UK
ThankYou 548

#53 by Tom Photiou , Thu Apr 11, 2024 10:58 pm

Week 16, Film 19
Crimson Tide, 16mm 1995 Directed by Tony Scott.

Finally got around to viewing this excellent submarine action thriller starring Gene Hackman and Denzel Washington, the film is directed by Tony Scott and produced by Don Simpson and Jerry Bruckheimer it takes place during a period of political turmoil in Russia in which ultranationalists threaten to launch nuclear missiles at the USA and Japan. Great performance’s all round with Gene Hackman at his best.
The films main focus is on a clash of wills between the seasoned commanding officer of a U.S. nuclear missile submarine (Gene Hackman) and his new EO, (Denzel Washington) arising from conflicting interpretations of an order to launch their missiles. The story parallels a real incident during the Cuban missile crises.
This 16mm print is a flat version and opens with a screen card stating, “This print is formatted for this presentation”, I've not seen this before at the start of any other print.
The movie was made in cinemascope and we also have the super 8 trailer which itself is in scope. Obviously a scope feature is always preferred but never the less, this is a superb LPP print with hardly a mark on it, and my guess is that it hasn’t been projected more than a handful of times.
This is a good tense thriller with a great score by the brilliant Hans Zimmer. The following information is from the helping hand of wiki,
The musical score for Crimson Tide was composed by Hans Zimmer, and employs a blend of orchestra, choir and synthesizer sounds. It includes additional music by Nick Glennie-Smith, who also conducted the orchestra, and the choir was conducted by Harry Gregson-Williams. Within the score is the well-known naval hymn, "Eternal Father, Strong to save". The score won a Grammy Award in 1996 for Best Instrumental Composition Written for a Motion Picture or for Television, and Zimmer has described it as one of his personal favourites.

The following members like this: Paul Browning and Greg Perry

Tom Photiou
ThankYou 548

Last edited 04.11.2024 | Top

#54 by Paul Browning , Fri Apr 12, 2024 8:21 am

Gene Hackman and Denzil Washington, what's not to like, two great actors .........

Tom Photiou likes this
Paul Browning  
Paul Browning
Date registered 09.13.2015
ThankYou 181

#55 by Vidar Olavesen , Fri Apr 12, 2024 9:57 pm

What a print … Great looking

Tom Photiou sais Thank You!

Vidar Olavesen
Date registered 08.02.2015
home: Sarpsborg, Norway
ThankYou 348

#56 by Tom Photiou , Sat Apr 13, 2024 2:55 pm

It is a first class print Vidar, just a flick of a line for a short time which is in two of these images but as you see, nothing to shout home about.
These images are nowhere near what you see on screen, it is pin sharp and the colours are very vivid.
I saw this on TV years ago and really enjoyed it but this print with the booming sound you get on a modern print through an amp with the Hans Zimmer soundtrack just knocks spots off any TV viewing. Within the next few years I will be intending to turn my next film room into a film and blu ray projection room so hopefully, with the prices of top titles now becoming more than ridiculous, we will enjoy our films on both format's on the big screen but without the costs. A few titles I've spotted on ebay, (Wayne's world being one of them) have started at reasonable prices but once the bidding starts going up past the second mortgage price it just becomes no longer viable to continue. This one wasn't cheap but it was nowhere near ebay prices and I had the dosh from previous film sales, it really does work otherwise I would have had to stop buying a few years ago. I have been very lucky with my 16mm films but am also very grateful for the titles we do have. This one is one of my top films in the collection.

Tom Photiou
ThankYou 548

#57 by Gwyn Morgan , Sun Apr 14, 2024 6:19 pm

Good film and excellent print.Very nice Tom.👍👍

Tom Photiou sais Thank You!

Gwyn Morgan
Date registered 08.03.2015
home: Devon
ThankYou 273

#58 by Tom Photiou , Thu Apr 18, 2024 10:24 pm

Week 17, Film 20
Hannie Caulder, 1971 16mm Theatrical print.

For screenshots, please see the previous review here, (for those interested)
Hannie Caulder Full Feature Masked for Widescreen

This is a title I grew up with from the age of around 14. It was one of the first sound films my Brother bought in his very early Eumig days in the 70s and he started with the 200ft colour sound extract, Shots of Vengeance. Quality was not the best but it was ok. A year or so later he purchased the brutal Brothers, another 200ft colour sound version which made a 400ft edit, mostly cut from the early part of reel one and the last part of the film with everything in between gone altogether , but it was a good 400ft reel. Many years later I got hold of a 4 x 400ft walton flat feature which while good, (quality was ok but nothing special) was still short of around 15/20 minutes. This was sold a few years ago when another collector pointed me to this 16mm theatrical print which is flat but slightly letterboxed to (i think) 1:85. It is a low fade print and has a good clear sharp image with only a few light lines here and there, the print is mostly line free but above all, it is the full feature complete with the BBFC AA certificate at the start.

While it isn't a box office blockbuster, the film does have a very good cast comprising of Raquel Welch, Robert Culp, Ernest Borgnine, Strother Martin, Jack Elam, Christopher Lee, Diana Dors and also appearances by three uncredited actors, Steven Boyd, Luis Barboo and Brian Lightburn.

With the help of wiki, here is something I didn't realise about this movie,

Patrick Curtis, then married to Raquel Welch, met with Tony Tenser of Tigon British Film Productions with a view to obtaining funding for a movie starring Welch. Curtis proposed a horror movie or a Western; Tenser, who had always wanted to make a Western, picked the western. Tigon put up 100% of the budget, while Curtwel (Curtis and Welch's production company) put up their services. Neither Curtis nor Welch took a salary, instead taking profit participation. Before Hannie Caulder was released, Tigon and Curtwel co-produced The Sorcerers (1967), a horror film starring Boris Karloff. Thus, Curtis and Tenser teamed up for both a Western and a horror film.
The film performed well at the UK box office and was reasonably successful in the United States.

Greg Perry likes this

Tom Photiou
ThankYou 548

Last edited 04.18.2024 | Top

#59 by Tom Photiou , Thu Apr 25, 2024 10:31 pm

Week 18 film 21
Cromwell, 16mm, 1970 4:3 print.

Where has 18 weeks gone? Tonight was a viewing of one of our first 16mm purchases from the first time around of collecting 16mm films. We bought this print from the Derann stall at Ealing many years ago. While a scope print would have been even better, on the up side this is a good clean print in very good condition, it is on agfa stock so the colours are very good with no fade. To date, all the scope and flat print we've seen come up for sale have either been red, scratched or both. Aside a few light base lines here and there, it is generally a very good print.
With the help of wiki,
Cromwell is a 1970 British historical drama film written and directed by Ken Hughes. It is based on the life of Oliver Cromwell, who rose to lead the Parliamentary forces during the later years of the English Civil War and, as Lord Protector, ruled Great Britain and Ireland in the 1650s. It features an excellent cast, led by Richard Harris as Cromwell and Alec Guinness as King Charles I, with Robert Morley as Edward Montagu, 2nd Earl of Manchester and Timothy Dalton as Prince Rupert of the Rhine.

As there is no BFCC or MPA rating on this print, my guess is that it is a TV print, however, there doesn't appear to be any cuts, it is mounted on four 1600ft reels.

Paul Browning likes this

Tom Photiou
ThankYou 548

Last edited Thu Apr 25, 2024 10:38 pm | Top

#60 by Paul Browning , Fri Apr 26, 2024 7:57 am

Seems a fitting tribute, given the state of the nation .............

Tom Photiou likes this
Paul Browning  
Paul Browning
ThankYou 181

#61 by Tom Photiou , Fri Apr 26, 2024 8:07 am

We thought exactly the same when wee were watching this, St Georges flags everywhere, today it seems a crime to fly one, cant think of anywhere else on the planet where this would happen. Imagine in the US if some states tried to stop people flying the stars and stripes in case it offended certain groups.
As for this movie, I think Richard Harris gives one of his best performances as Cromwell, he's very good in anything he was in but this was one of his best in my view.

Paul Browning likes this

Tom Photiou
ThankYou 548

Last edited Fri Apr 26, 2024 8:37 am | Top

#62 by Paul Browning , Fri Apr 26, 2024 11:11 am

He was brilliant in the hero's of telemark, there was some real tension between him and Kirk Douglas, a great film too, with Michael Redgrave.........

Tom Photiou likes this
Paul Browning  
Paul Browning
ThankYou 181

Lady in White (1988)

disconnected Reel-Chat Members online 0
Xobor Create your own Forum with Xobor