New Releases. Just some thoughts.

#1 by Tom Photiou , Sat Nov 20, 2021 11:04 pm

With Dave Baker () now getting us collectors well in the mood of the new wave of new releases, i thought i would just put up a list of films that i would really like to see.
With Jurassic Park under my belt, i can see that the trend for Dave is the monster movie, nothing wrong with that, and its his privilege to release those titles he also enjoys.
Sticking with the monster and horror subject, i thought i may be cheeky to see if any other people looking in, (especially those who look but dont join in)n would like to add any other titles, or at least a thumb up or down,
The hammer films on the horizon are a good choice because they were generally only an hour and a half in the first place, so editing is much easier. therefore, i thought perhaps some titles that have never appeared on the super 8 gauge may be more attractive, here are some titles i think could do well, especially if the quality is as Jurassic Park,

The Thing, 1982 version,
A clockwork orange
Beetlejuice
Seven,
The Shinning,
From Dusk till Dawn,
An American Werewolf in London.
The Fly (Jeff Goldblum)
Dont look now,(a good one to remove a lot of the padding)
Friday the 13th

For sci fi
Starman
Ghostbusters
Planet of the Apes, (would only work in scope)
Inception, (again, scope would be much better on this title)

For other subjects, (i know its unlikely but while i'm flow)
Reservoir Dogs
The Good the Bad and the Ugly,
Soldier Blue
Natural born killers

I'll let you add some more. I am of course aware that the titles need to be horror/monster/sci fi but just added some that i think would be popular.
It will be interesting to see how many titles sell over 30 or 40 copies, anything less i believe would make the venture unviable.
Jurassic Park was a very good release and also the first of the batch. I dont think there will be too many people who will be able to justify purchasing all releases, the cost would be very high, and obviously, not all the releases will appeal to everyone.
My own thoughts are, it will obviously depend on the availability of a decent 35 or 16mm print, and the releases will have to appeal to a decent amount of people to ensure enough sales. Today is not like the 70s/80s when there were thousands of collectors, it is more of a hard core number of collectors, (we tend to see the same names pop up on all the forums), some of whom seem to be deluded that super 8 collectors are out there in droves, they sadly are not but clearly with the new releases kick starting some new interest, perhaps a few more modern titles could improve things.

Despite the amount of members on here, most only seem to want to be active on the other channel, however, hopefully, some members may look at this, and if they truly have any interest in the hobby and new releases, some may add there thoughts on this. Hopefully Dave will also be looking in. i think there needs to be something more modern, the Jaws release looks very good but i had the U8 version for 30 years before selling it last year, i dont really want to invest in a 47 year old movie that has already done the rounds on super 8, great though it does look and it looks like a good seller.
Its good to see the old films, but

The following members like this: Greg Perry and Paul Browning

Tom Photiou
Date registered 08.14.2015
home: Plymouth. UK
ThankYou 548

RE: New Releases. Just some thoughts.

#2 by Paul Browning , Sun Nov 21, 2021 12:14 pm

A good subject Tom, given the convention on at the moment. I'll some to your lists, but like you they are by no means a complete, with plenty of films not covered on 8 like 16 mm, here goes.

Horror.
Night of the Demon.
The Gorgon.
The Reptile.
Twins of Evil.
House on Haunted Hill. ( Vincent Price version)
Any of the usher movies.
The Thing . (82 version.
The FLY (Goldblum version), although the brian donlevy version would be great also .
Dusk till dawn.
The shinning.

Sci fi /adventure

The day the earth stood still ( micheal rennie version)
Earth vs flying saucers.
Them.
Planet of the apes ( charlton heston version)
Forbidden planet (walter Pidgeon version )
Close encounters .
Clockwork orange (any Kubrick would be good )
Escape form New York.

Cowboy /war films
Good the bad and the ugly ( scope version )
Shalako
The magnificent seven (original version )
Kellys Hero's
Any of the clint cowboys after the spaghetti westerns

Thrillers
The French Connection pt 1 /2 .
Dirty Harry
Bullitt
The Odessa Files
Enter the Dragon

Comedy /spoof
The Mask
Blues Brothers
Italian Job ( Micheal Cain version )
Young Frankenstein
The Producers ( zero mostel version )

These are just a few i can think of............

The following members like this: Tom Photiou and Greg Perry
Paul Browning  
Paul Browning
Date registered 09.13.2015
ThankYou 181

#3 by Tom Photiou , Sun Nov 21, 2021 7:47 pm

Some good ones there as well Paul, i was going to add a couple of those but i was steering clear of anything already released previously.
This thread, for those looking in, isn't me saying these are ideas for releases, thats already been done, many times, this is a list of unlikely films but in my opinion, would be good sellers, most have never seen the light of day on 8mm and is one of the reasons i prefer 16mm these days, apart from the advantage of quality 16mm more than often, has over 8mm.

Tom Photiou
ThankYou 548

#4 by Joachim Schmidt , Mon Nov 22, 2021 5:18 pm

I hope "The fifth element" will make it to Daves releases. He is planning to do that if all digests before sell well. Fingers crossed!

Tom Photiou likes this
Tom Photiou sais Thank You!

Joachim Schmidt
Date registered 11.04.2017
home: Germany
ThankYou 11

#5 by Tom Photiou , Mon Nov 22, 2021 7:31 pm

thanks for joining in Joachim, i do believe it os on Dave's list as a future release. That would be a good seller i think,

Joachim Schmidt sais Thank You!

Tom Photiou
ThankYou 548

#6 by Tom Photiou , Mon Dec 06, 2021 8:27 pm

Something i havnt mentioned before, I think one of the problems with the Jaws reviews is that they seem to compare it with the 40 year old U8 release. I think as these prints are now all but red/pink or well on the way, it is unfair to make a comparison. If a comparison were to be made, it should be against one of the rare LPP prints which i know exist. The new prints will almost certainly have 100% better colours. There would be something seriously wrong if they didn't, especially with a modern lab and the advances they should have.

I cannot comment as a reviewer of the new prints other than Jurassic Park and the Christmas trailer reel 1,(and a few trailers), as i have not seen any of them, i will be brutally honest here though, as the Jaws film is almost the same edit as the one i owned for 30 years it isn't one i feel i can add, i have viewed that version to death. Seeing the same thing with decent colour isn't going to do anything for me now. Judging by the images i have seen, it looks pretty good, i wouldn't be at all happy to receive any new print with those vertical bars, luckily the worst ones were rejected by David.
On another note, the U8 print has been described as, "The uni 8 was never released in belting Stereo sound in fact it was very squeaky sound". As far as im concerned, thats just utter cods wallop and is simply designed to big up the new version. U8 films generally had very good sound, bearing in mind we are talking 40 years ago. I think the new prints achieve good quality but with a slightly mute of contrast/colour saturation.
Another comment made was "that quality looks almost as good as Blu Ray". On this, i dont want to spend 250 odd quid to get a film which only has the quality of a Blu Ray, film is film, digital imitates film, therefore i want a film that look like film, and not a digital image with, (in light sequences) dancing grain, anyone else spotted that?

Again i read, "That certainly shows superiority of the new print compared to the original U8 release. I'd like to see that same shot from a good color U8 print, as that would also show the superiority of the new prints in comparison to the U8". Sorry, but a sharp image from an LPP print will actually show the colours of LPP to be as good as, if not better than the new, you wont see that digital grain look on an LPP print. How long have these people been in the hobby? Even Dave has said "Oh come on , get over it , it's not THAT great".

All reviews must be honest and the way to put over any possible downers is to word it as, "if i HAD to find something wrong i would just add<<<<<<" . This way people can make up there mind and then buy without thinking they have a print with faults or the reviewer is simply doing lip service for one reason or another. The new releases are all very good and they will look good on screen, but they do have a different look about them, i guess you could say its like the cinema, we all know that the films projected digitally today have a clinically clean look about them and they dont look like real film. If that lack of color saturation/grey contrast is down to Andec, then /they need as kick up the ass to sort it.

The following members like this: Stuart Reid and Paul Browning

Tom Photiou
ThankYou 548

Last edited 12.07.2021 | Top

Independent 8 Christmas Competition
Projections Magazine by Pete Travers

disconnected Reel-Chat Members online 0
Xobor Create your own Forum with Xobor